This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the thief, again?

I am not sure where this belongs, so I'll leave it to the mods - my best guess is that it might belong here.

This story dates back several years, I think I even was still at school - or just out of it.
    Anyway.
    Back then, there was a comic books shop I frequented quite regularly. I had become quite close with the three people working there, I spent whole afternoons and lots of money in it. It was the second shop opened by the same owner who, after his first shop had proven very successful in another university town, had tried to double his success. Such boss, who came from a certain quite remote country (fact that comes into play later), lived in the *other* town, and could be usually found in the *other* shop (in his hometown - quite obviously). He would drop by in the shop in my hometown quite randomly.

Anyway, one day I drop by at the shop. Late morning. I see a comic book I would have REALLY liked to have. Mind, the following day they were going to close for a couple of weeks for holidays (Christmas I think). Yes, those thing did happen once. I have no money, so I have a word with one of the guys who promises to hold on to it for me until mid-afternoon, not one minute more because it was a new release and highly on demand, blah-blah-blah. No problem anyway, I had money at home. On my way out, I meet a guy I vaguely knew from school. Greetings, surprise to find him there, chitchat.

I go back at the promised time, money in hand, get my comic book, start making my way out. A hand on my shoulder.
    Now:

Me: me, probably not 18 yet
    DA: the owner of the two bookstores
    NP: one of the guys who run that store, the one I knew less well of the three

DA (hand on my shoulder. Pressing): "Where do you think you are going?"
    Me (blushing): "What... do you mean? I paid for it, here it is... [NP], I paid, didn't I?"
    NP (kinda shameful): "Yes, yes, [boss name], he paid for that one"
    DA: "And what about the others?"
    Me: "Which others?" (I turn to look at the guy I knew, who is clearly pretending he is busy with something else and looks seriously uncomfortable)
    DA: "The ones that you helped your friend steal"
    Me: "Which friend? What? I didn't steal anything"
    DA: "Please open your rucksack, and stop looking for help, [NP] knows what I am talking about"
    I oblige, both because I feel intimidated and because I have nothing to hide. And I guess that it is his right to ask, it being his shop and all. Anyway - he rifles through my school books, sports gear, what you would have in your rucksack at 16/17 in the afternoon of a schoolday in the middle of the winter. Nothing he can even suspect I took from his shop, anyway. Of course, this all happens in view of everybody. I guess he was trying to impress the other customers. Anyway.
    DA: "...anyway, you'll have to help your friend repay for what the two of you stole this morning"
    Me: "Wha... what?"
    DA: "You know. He stole more than he could afford. [NP] caught him. Am I right?"
    NP (shyly): "Yes, that guy did try to steal lots of stuff"
    DA: "So, as you helped him steal, you help him pay too"
    Me: "But... actually I didn't help him... [NP], I didn't steal anything, right?"
    NP (still shyly): "Actually I don't know, I..."
    DA: "He did, and he knows. But he knows we can't prove it either, so we'll let him go for this once. But I'll keep an eye on you, kid."
    ...at this point I walk out, followed by the angry stare of DA and with NP ostensibly turning the other way.

Well, the following day NP calls me at home (I had given my home number to another of the people working there) apologising for his boss's attitude and for his inability to stand up for me. He explained me that the boss had realised that there had been several small thefts in his shop (nothing huge, just kids stealing what they couldn't buy) and he had decided to put a stop to it. Unfortunately, he had started targeting all the regulars in the hope of catching some and not the casuals... and he had found NO thief. Except for that guy I had greeted that very morning.
    Apologies appreciated, clearly he (who was very young at the time) was a bit afraid of his boss - and couldn't be 100% sure that I hadn't *really* stolen anything, I guess.

Anyway. I go back to the shop when it is supposed to re-open. And it is still closed. And this goes on, day after day, for weeks. Until I meet NP. Who tells me that...
    Yes.
    DA, the thief-catching boss, had fleed to his homeland with all the shops' money (and his employees' salaries for the last couple of months). The lawsuit filed against him by his employees had come to a dead end because he simply could not be found. At all.

Some months later all his properties in Italy were liquidated and the deriving money, after paying his bills, was split between all his employees. NP used it to buy all the comic books the two shops had and open his own shop, which is still thriving
    Last edited by C. Cecil Ivanish; 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM. Reason: clarification
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

My god, I had to register to respond about just how awesome that story is!

Something about massive amounts of suck followed up by an awesome ending jsut made me happy

Comment

so wait...
      DA was running around accusing the customers of stealing
      while he himself was robbing from the employees?

that's messed up!

Comment

As a fellow comic book enthusiast, I will say this:

Money aside, you never, EVER, fuck around when it comes to comics or us comic geeks.

That's like farting in an elevator. You just don't do it.
        Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

Comment

That's great karma that NP started his own store!
          Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
            My god, I had to register to respond about just how awesome that story is!
            Something about massive amounts of suck followed up by an awesome ending just made me happy
            Registering is always a good idea - welcome!
            Quoth PepperElf View Post
            so wait...
            DA was running around accusing the customers of stealing
            while he himself was robbing from the employees?
            that's messed up!
            Exactly.
            Well, technically he had not stolen from them *yet* - he was late in paying their salaries, which is major suckage (especially if the late salary is November's - Christmas time), but apparently he had ensured that he'd make amends and pay November's and December's salaries both before Christmas with a small additional bonus.
            Still, the very following day he left the country "on holidays" never to come back. With all the money.
            Quoth solidmetalgear19 View Post
            As a fellow comic book enthusiast, I will say this:
            Money aside, you never, EVER, fuck around when it comes to comics or us comic geeks.
            That's like farting in an elevator. You just don't do it.
            Amen to this!
            Quoth Exaspera View Post
            That's great karma that NP started his own store!
            Yep, and he is very good at it. He recently opened a second store in the mall. Hard work but he seems happy.
            Yes, I am still in touch.
            FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Actually, DA has no right to look in your bags; it's private property. If he suspects you of stealing, he has to call the cops, who can then look in your bag IF they think they have probable cause.

Odds are, if the cops had been called, they'd have tried to intimidate you into giving consent, as they would not have probable cause on your return to the store unless they thought you were stealing on that visit. But if you held firm, would have told DA no joy; they should have been called when you were first "suspected" of shoplifting.

This guy was a total jerk. Glad he's gone, glad NP is doing so well.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Actually, DA has no right to look in your bags; it's private property. If he suspects you of stealing, he has to call the cops, who can then look in your bag IF they think they have probable cause.
                Ach, really?
                I thought that he'd be acting as a kind of "security agent", it being his own shop... anyway, nothing to hide there.
                Quoth Panacea View Post
                they should have been called when you were first "suspected" of shoplifting.
                That, I'd have understood.
                I wanted to point out that I had NOT shoplifted, not then not in any other occasion.
                Quoth Panacea View Post
                This guy was a total jerk. Glad he's gone, glad NP is doing so well.
                Amen to this.
                FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Comment

Nope. No one has the right to get into your private containers without your consent. A backpack is a private container.

You can be asked to leave (for example, if you bring candy in a purse to a movie theater and then refuse to let your bag be inspected), but you cannot be forced. DA has a right to detain you if he suspects you of shoplifting, but not the search you (that's battery).
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Mod Note

Ladies and gents - Lets drop the searching aspect of this right now shall we? This story is several years ago, furthermore if you want to discuss the legality of searches for entering/exiting a store we have an entire website at fratching that you can discuss this to your hearts content.
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
                    X