Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall reading about 3 or so years ago that police busted a counterfeiting operation in Quebec that was making perfect copies of 2 dollar coins. These forgeries were absolutely indistinguishable from the real thing by any measure short of metallurgical analysis.
    And the police only found out by accident. Seems the counterfeiter was running his operation in the back of a chop-shop the police had been watching for awhile. When the police went in with warrants to find stolen cars & parts, they stumbled across the minting operation.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Just checked the Wiki, since my own province does require both plates. Apparently we're the minority. (Only 4 provinces require both plates):

In the United States, 19 states do not require an official front license plate, these states being Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia and the territories Guam and Puerto Rico. In Nevada, front plates are optional if the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate.[4] In Canada, 9 of the 13 provinces and territories do not require an official front plate, including the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Québec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Comment

The front-plate-only state for commercial vehicles is Florida, as far as I remember.

Funny this thread should come up now. About two days after the OP, some kid about 8 years old comes up to my counter with a $100 and says "My mommy wants to know if this is real."

OK, so why you think a pharmacy is the place to ask that, I don't know, but whatever. I looked at it, it was kind of beat up looking, torn and retaped (but nothing missing, so it wasn't one of those deals where someone makes 11 slightly-shorter bills out of 10), but the security strip was in there, and it definitely said USA 100 on it. I could even see a tiny bit of plastic sticking out the bottom where the bill was worn. The watermark was also there, albeit a bit indistinct.

I told her, "I can't say 100% for sure, but it looks good to me." She said, "Oh, that's good, we found it in the street so we weren't sure if it was real or not."

I'd have been suspicious if she'd then tried to spend it here, but she just thanked me, took the bill and left. I guess someone got a bit of a windfall there.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
          She said, "Oh, that's good, we found it in the street so we weren't sure if it was real or not."
          That's lucky for them. The most I ever found was a $20 bill. My wife fusses about me looking at the ground when I'm walking, but I do find coins and other things that way.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

There are, I think, four shapes which British plates can take:

- Long and thin, for any vehicle that can reasonably fit them. Yellow on the back, white on the front.

- Square, for the rear plates of lorry-tractors and motorcycles. On lorry-tractors, it's mounted on one of the rear wheel arches, near the mudflaps - usually the offside, I think.

- Miniature square, for the rear plates of smaller motorcycles.

- Curved, for the "front" (side facing) plate of classic motorcycles. These are normally only in the white-on-black style of classic plates. Modern bikes don't have a front plate - they're an exception to the normal rule of having both plates.

Comment

Working...
            X