X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Oh, I really need a job"

I guess that this is where this fits.

Now, it is a story that a friend of mine told me yesterday about an acquaintance of ours - who today proceeded to give me his version.

The friend (let's call him AH) works in a hotel - not the highest-end hotel in town but a pretty respectable one. He is in a supervisory position.
    The other guy (DR) at the moment doesn't have a job. The reason he gives for this is the crisis - the reason everybody else gives is because he is sloppy, careless and quite often pretty thick.
    Anyway, DR contacted AH asking if he could help him finding a job, "any job", even only for a couple of months, at the hotel he works at. AH, who is a nice soul, got him an interview for a position as a bellboy. DC moaned a bit (I guess he was hoping for a position that wouldn't entail physical work), but seemed kinda happy to at least have a chance to earn some of that thing you need to buy stuff... what's the name... ah, yes, money.

So, the interview took place yesterday mid-morning (10am, I think I remember).

I'll start with how DR told me about it.
    "So I went to the meeting, you know, and this guy was real rude. He citicised my looks, asked me stuff and sent me away telling me that he'd call me next week. But I don't think I want to work with him anyway"

AH's version. He was working at the time but it was a slow moment, so he saw how it all started and got feedback after the end of the interview.
    "Well, DC came 10 minutes late with sleepy eyes, in his jeans, a t-shirt (nice for his standards, but still a t-shirt) and some shoes that looked like a male version of ballerinas. He didn't smell great either, looked like he had just woken up. He was interviewed by the hotel manager (and owner). After the interview, the manager told me that he hadn't even brought a CV and said that he wants the job because he needs one and because he is my friend, that he seemed upset when he was told that he'd have to follow a certain dress code [which involves wearing a jacket and the - ugly - hotel tie] and that his answers to very precise questions were unclear and at least in one case plain weird".

Now, I know for a fact that DR doesn't smoke any illegal (nor legal) substances, he doesn't take drugs and, although he has been known to get drunk, he can not at the moment afford to overindulge in drinking due to the situation of his finances. He tends to mutter and slur his words a bit, but not to such extent to be impossible to understand.

I am just wondering: why the hell did he pester AH for an interview only to make sure that he wouldn't be hired?

And no, he is not on benefits at the moment so he doesn't need to clock in a job interview sometimes in order to keep receiving them.
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post

I am just wondering: why the hell did he pester AH for an interview only to make sure that he wouldn't be hired?

And no, he is not on benefits at the moment so he doesn't need to clock in a job interview sometimes in order to keep receiving them.
    Has he ever had a job that had a dress code? My place would hire someone like that if they didn't smell. Maybe he simply doesn't know proper interviewing etiquette. I've met people who didn't know jeans with "fashionable" holes in them were inappropriate in an interview.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
      Has he ever had a job that had a dress code? My place would hire someone like that if they didn't smell. Maybe he simply doesn't know proper interviewing etiquette. I've met people who didn't know jeans with "fashionable" holes in them were inappropriate in an interview.
      Might make sense. He has worked in an office some time ago, but it is very possible that the dress code there was relaxed... still, at an interview? To work in a hotel? Hmm...
      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Yeah if he got a job in an office, he knows better. In the most relaxed offices I worked in, I still had to swear slacks or a skirt. Jeans on friday, maybe.

Comment

Well, at least AH knows that they tried to help a friend. Though, I can see DR blaming him for not getting it...
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I've known lots of offices where dressing up means wearing jeans that don't have holes or visible wear. But even for jobs like that you wear at least a tie, if not a suit, to the interview (for guys, I'm still never sure what to wear as a woman).

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
              I've known lots of offices where dressing up means wearing jeans that don't have holes or visible wear. But even for jobs like that you wear at least a tie, if not a suit, to the interview (for guys, I'm still never sure what to wear as a woman).
              A work appropriate blouse with well-fitting black slacks, or skirt that sits no higher than mid-knee. Maybe a small heel but nothing over 3 inches or dress shoes. A jacket wouldn't hurt as well, even if you just take it off in the interview.

edit: like this http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=39098 but without the open toe shoes and a smaller heel.
              Last edited by Whiskey; 07-29-2010, 03:27 PM.

Comment

See, I had an outfit that fits in what you described, that I wore to interviews the term that I had 23 interviews... I was overdressed. It's subtle stuff, and I manage to follow the general guidelines while being completely off. I have black dress slacks, a white striped blouse and a black vest that goes over it. I should probably update the over part, as it's several years out of style by now.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                  See, I had an outfit that fits in what you described, that I wore to interviews the term that I had 23 interviews... I was overdressed. It's subtle stuff, and I manage to follow the general guidelines while being completely off. I have black dress slacks, a white striped blouse and a black vest that goes over it. I should probably update the over part, as it's several years out of style by now.
                  Did your interviewer tell you you were overdressed, or did you base that on the other interview candidates? I have never in the history of everything heard an employer go "She wore a suit! I'm not hiring someone who comes to a job interview with a nice jacket and tailored slacks!!"

And yes, ditch the vests. Vests are not cute. unless its like http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=39098 that. But you have to have that body to pull off a vest. Ugh. And its a little to man-chic for an interview, imo.

This http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=39097 with a nice. pressed, collared shirt.
                  Last edited by Whiskey; 07-29-2010, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Nah, it's that after 23 interviews (for co-op jobs) I was getting frustrated. A family friend teaches HR courses, so she went over some stuff. A lot of the problem was just how I was presenting myself. It was a third term co-op, so a lot of it is just do you make a good presentation. I was wearing a very conservative skirt suit, no makeup, and I was interviewing for engineering jobs. When the interviewers are wearing polo shirts and khakis, a skirt suit is too dressy. The next term I switched to the outfit I described, wore some very basic makeup, and switched to the last interview slot (instead of the first one, so they'd remember me), and I got 3 offers from 5 or so interviews. Jackdaw figures that the suit was part of the problem, and he really disagreed with some of the other advice I was given. (He is also an engineer, and went through the co-op process).

Part of the problem with giving a good impression (i.e. doing well in an interview other than when they have a checklist, or ask you a bunch of technical questions) is that so much of it is subconscious. So I need to look like someone who would be a good engineering co-op. They know what a good co-op student is. They've had several. The catch is that, while they're not going to go "gee, she's really feminine, she's not a good engineer", trousers are necessary if I want to fit in. (If I want to stand out, I wear a skirt. But you don't want to stand out too much). The guideline I heard which I agree with is that I should wear something that, if I was on-site for the interview, would be reasonably appropriate for going on a shop floor tour. (Assuming they had a "no steel toes required" section). While I normally dress like that, a lot of interviewers don't realise that I can do as much in a skirt as most people can do in trousers, and it doesn't look like a shop floor safe outfit.
                    Last edited by Magpie; 07-29-2010, 03:51 PM. Reason: Need to clarify about Jackdaw

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                      When the interviewers are wearing polo shirts and khakis, a skirt suit is too dressy.
                      This is such an amazing misconception. Its kind of like when people whine about being on time for a doctors appointment, just to have the doctor have them wait for a half hour! Well yeah, hes the doctor. He's worked hard and established himself to a point where he can do that. You, however, have not and can not. Your interviewer can show up doing bong hits if he/she felt like it, that doesn't make it okay for you. The interviewer isn't there to impress you, you're there to impress them. I promise you that you didn't lose 23 opportunities because you were wearing a skirt suit. And the first outfit I linked was a pants suit. I don't wear skirt suits. The whole point of looking appropriate is to show you put forth effort to obtain the goals you want. The goal being a job.

Thats me though, i'm old.
                      Last edited by Whiskey; 07-29-2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

It's more about fitting into the corporate culture. If I wasn't better dressed than the interviewer I'd be slightly uncomfortable, because it meant that I was overdressed. However it is possible to overdress for interviews, especially ones in fields where the work dress code is "no shorts, no obscene t-shirts".

Comment

Back to the OP. IMHO, DR did not want to apply for a job. He wanted someone to give him a job.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Agreed.

And he didn't want to work, he wanted to get money.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Isn't there an old saying: beggars cannot be choosers? I mean, if somebody is in desperate need of a job, do what you can to get any job. No room for choice! I've never worked in the hotel biz but to come in like you had a hellacious night at the bar or the walk of shame type of thing to an interview definitely gives off a bad impression. DR only has himself to blame for not getting the job.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X