This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's GLASS, lady!

Had a dissatisfied customer come through tonight -- not one of mine but I heard about it from CW.

Among the items we sell are clear glass teapots. These are just luvverly if you buy blooming teas.

This woman had bought one a mere few days ago and now wanted to return it. Why? The spout was chipped. She said she put it into the cupboard and just "tapped" it against something else and the spout chipped! CW tries to point out the teapot was in good shape when it left the shop so there's nothing we can do (and it's obviously not a manufacturing defect -- it's not as if it cracked when she poured hot water into it).

SC was having none of it. She wanted "something done" (I'm not sure whether it was a refund, an exchange, or what). Why, she has crystal dishes at home and she's never had problems with them!!

CW finally got rid of her by saying she'd "look into it." She called the site manager, who confirmed there is nothing to be done. I think she may even have emailed the district manager.

What part of "It's glass -- it's fragile -- it breaks easily" do some people not understand?

I think she probably understood, but she knew she made a boo boo and wanted you guys to fix it. She was probably thinking someone would crack (no pun intended, couldn't think of another word except break) and give into her demands. If she was smart/sneaky about it she wouldn't have told you guys what happened to it. It's like when you bring something home and as soon as you set it down a little ding somehow ends up on the thing and you want to take it back. That's probably what she was thinking but started explaining stuff.

Comment

Maybe she thought that the glass was tempered or treated or something like that?

Also, she might be interested to know that her "crystal" products actually have either lead oxide, barium oxide, zinc oxide or potassium oxide instead of calcium (which is one of the main ingredients in glass). They are also generally thicker.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Honestly I have a hard time comprehending these kinds of people. Whether it's having the same thing being told to them multiple times or blaming someone else for their own mistakes. I just can't understand it.

On a side note though, I love the teapot. Really pretty!
        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Undoubtedly sucky .. especially the "something must be done" part ~_~ Tho I must give her credit for actually being honest about how it got damaged. She could have just claimed that it was that way when she opened the box.

I'll bet her world will just be shattered when whe hears that she won't be receiving any satisfaction for this affront...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Love the bad puns, guys ...

I think she blurted out the truth before she thought it through ... or maybe she figured that telling what actually happened would just prove how poorly made the teapot was ... it's anybody's guess. Much as I like the beauty of blooming teas, though, this is one reason why I'll probably make them in my Pyrex coffeepot. The writing and whatnot on the coffeepot will detract from the nice blooms, but you can feel how fragile these bloody teapots are just by picking them up!

Quoth fireheart View Post
            Maybe she thought that the glass was tempered or treated or something like that?

Also, she might be interested to know that her "crystal" products actually have either lead oxide, barium oxide, zinc oxide or potassium oxide instead of calcium (which is one of the main ingredients in glass). They are also generally thicker.
            Thanks, fireheart, I'm betting she has no clue what the difference is between glass and crystal. Crystal's expensive so I'm sure she figures that equals fragile.

Comment

You should remove the clear cover and move it out of the way; look inside the clear, glass teapot; put the clear, glass cover back on; then say, "Ok, I looked into it!"

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                Tempered glass wouldn't have chipped - the whole teapot would have disintegrated.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I actually have one of those teapots. Despite the fact that I am incredibly accident prone, I have not destroyed mine. She did way more than "tap" it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner
                  "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    Thanks, fireheart, I'm betting she has no clue what the difference is between glass and crystal. Crystal's expensive so I'm sure she figures that equals fragile.
                    No probs. I was actually curious to know the difference myself.

Sounds like she doesn't have any idea.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                      *snip*Much as I like the beauty of blooming teas, though, this is one reason why I'll probably make them in my Pyrex coffeepot. The writing and whatnot on the coffeepot will detract from the nice blooms, but you can feel how fragile these bloody teapots are just by picking them up!*snip*.
                      I have this but in green. It's survived the move from Alaska and a few trips in the dishwasher. I love it.

Comment

Oooh, hey, I like that! You can still see the blooms but there's also some protective coverage! That's Target, right ... ? Guess I'll have to drop into our new Target store next time I'm at the mall.

Quoth emax4 View Post
                        You should remove the clear cover and move it out of the way; look inside the clear, glass teapot; put the clear, glass cover back on; then say, "Ok, I looked into it!"
                        I'll pass that along!

Quoth SilverOrb View Post
                        I actually have one of those teapots. Despite the fact that I am incredibly accident prone, I have not destroyed mine. She did way more than "tap" it.
                        Honestly, I wondered about that too. I'm wondering if it didn't seem to want to go into the spot in the cupboard and she gave it a good shove and then ... *oops.*

Comment

Target, Amazon, I got mine from QVC . IT did come with a metal mesh infuser in it and the plastic ring is removable. If I use tea bags I run the strings under it so I don't have to worry about fishing them out.

Comment

Working...
                          X