This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
    Jesus freaking christ! and I thought we had some big bugs in Oz. So glad that the wasps we have don't have nests that get that big.
    Yellow-jackets aren't terribly big (maybe a half-inch at their largest) but they are one of the most aggressive wasps out there. Not only aggressive, but will swarm and attack with minimal provocation. To add, unlike bees, they're not a one sting and die, they WILL sting multiple times if possible. Disturb a yellow-jacket nest and be ready to run for your life.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
      One of my late hiking buddies found what he thought was a sinkhole in his yard, and tried to dig it up to pack-and-fill.

He didn't realize that down here, yellowjackets make ground nests. He got serious cellulitis on his arm from all the stings!
      Just looked up yellow jackets because I wasn't sure what they were.

Jesus freaking christ! and I thought we had some big bugs in Oz. So glad that the wasps we have don't have nests that get that big.

We have native bees, european bees and wasps, but wasps aren't that common. If you find a nest, all you have to do is report them to your local council/shire and they send out the exterminator. They are classified as pests, so can be destroyed without too many dramas.
      Look at these freaks of nature be glad he didn't dig these up
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

Those you take off and nuke from orbit, just to be sure.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Yelloy Jackets also "tag" you with a sent in the sting. Walk past the nest a day later, they will attack you.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So basically you are all telling me that those hideous scary bugs in Hunger Games are based on a real bug? Holy fuck buckets! I don't want to visit the US anymore. I think I'll stay here in Oz where I just have to deal with most of the world's top deadly snakes and spiders.
          A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Aren't yellow jackets also scavengers? They seem attracted to rotting meat smells, especially if you use fish oil fertilizer on your flowers. (Mom used to do that.)

They are originally designed to hibernate during the winter, but they have made their way into some locations that do not get cold enough to trigger that. So their nests will grow and grow and grow... I believe that the state of Hawaii is very serious about dealing with any nests they find! Yellowjackets will also kill and eat a number of native insects there and are threatening their populations.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

So basically you are all telling me that those hideous scary bugs in Hunger Games are based on a real bug? Holy fuck buckets! I don't want to visit the US anymore. I think I'll stay here in Oz where I just have to deal with most of the world's top deadly snakes and spiders.
              I never thought of a yellow jacket/tracker-jack cross, then again what we call killer bees might come close. While not in my Mountain Empire yet many many years ago some nimrods crossed some African honey-bees with European honey-bees and then released them into the wild. The are very aggressive to sound and vibration. They've been known to kill large animals and humans. They been slowly migrating their way from South America to North America.
              Yellow Jackets are aggressive, not real big (less than an inch) but can build big in-ground nests, but our black and while Hornets are bigger, more aggressive and build in the ground or off-ground. Between the two I'd much rather deal with yellow-jackets than hornets.
              In reality bees, wasps aren't that big a deal. You leave them alone they'll leave you alone except for killer-bees. Then run-away run-away run-away as fast as your legs will carry you.
              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
              X