Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't you clamp your lips with that thing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't you clamp your lips with that thing?

I'm in the mall and just had to ignore a rude kiosk guy at one of those hair straightener stands. I was already past the stand and when I had been going by he was turned the other direction so even though I KNEW he was calling after me. (Why???? My hair is UP in a bun and you can't see that it's curly or long.) I was already several feet beyond him and not interested so I kept walking. He said "Excuse me!" a couple more times before he said "Yes, YOU.." Is covertly calling me rude--which is in and of itself rude--going to make a sale?* If he does this on the way back I should tell him "No way am I letting you damage my hair with that thing!"

*And even if I did want to fry my hair I'd just but one for less in a store....
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Don't give him head space. Those people will say damned near anything to try to make a sale, and yes, a lot of the time what they sell is either no good in and of itself, or it's at a stupid price. Be polite in your first refusal, and then treat them like furniture you don't care for. Ignore, ignore, ignore!

Comment

I was recently in Vegas for the first time (what a fun place to visit!), and all along the strip and various shopping districts are stores that perform cosmetic services. I was with a more mature friend and no joke, these folks would follow her down the street, calling after her and trying to get her to "try" some needle-to-the-face service.

I don't know about you, but that type of aggressive selling makes me want to run the other way. One of them grumbled about being ignored and another used some choice language. Real professional.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Haven't been in a mall for a long time, but I remember these jerks who were selling some kind f windshield repair crap. I got tired of hearing "Ma'am! Ma'am! Have you got any cracks or other damaged in your windshield?" - So this one time I pulled off my glasses, looked 'em over, said, "Nope!", put 'em back on, and kept walking.

Another time my sister and I were pestered by one of these people, and we just said, "We don't have a car." He comes back with "YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR?!" like we'd said we didn't breathe or something. Annoying twat.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Another time my sister and I were pestered by one of these people, and we just said, "We don't have a car." He comes back with "YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR?!" like we'd said we didn't breathe or something. Annoying twat.
          That's like the reaction I get when I tell those survey people that I don't have a television. They can't comprehend that someone can exist in this day and age without one.

Comment

How about how people react when you tell them you don't drink? Hey, I don't like the taste or aftereffects of alcohol, okay? Just let me enjoy my Coke or orange soda in peace.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
              How about how people react when you tell them you don't drink?
              It was interesting when I stopped drinking about 29 years ago. (Don't miss it at all)

The friends I had when I drank, stopped having anything to do with me, until I was invited to a milestone birthday for one of them. To start with they accepted that I was not drinking, but as the night went on they got drunk and tried to make me drink. It was close to violence, but their wives distracted them and I left.

My new friends and work buddies had no problem with my self imposed dry spell. I would go to social occasions with a bottle of Coca Cola and that's what I would drink. When I was about to have a problem with a boozy customer at one place at a night function ("What's that mean you don't drink? He can have a drink with me! What are you having? I'll buy and none of that sissy stuff!) my friends protected me. They distracted that guy and by the time they were finished with him he had forgotten and I went on with my plain drink for the rest of the night.

You can tell the people with a problem. I never tried to make any of my friends stop. I was happy that they could enjoy themselves. My true friends never tried to force me into anything and I respected them for that. There are boozy people who were somehow offended that I would not drink with them. Those people are not anyone's friend. No matter how many drinks they buy.

Comment

I enjoy the look of sad disappointment on their faces when, after they've asked me how long it takes to straighten my hair, that I inform them that my hair is naturally this poker straight.

I've gone to the mall offices and complained a couple of times about some that were really obnoxious to the point of trying to block my path.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

^ Ha! I call mine naturally frizzy. And I don't mind that at all, though they think curls are a disease to be cured...
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X