This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 'Do you work here'

As I'm walking around the sales floor, I see a lady looking lost so I ask her if she needs help finding anything and she blurts out 'Do you work here?'. Mind you I'm wearing a polo shirt with our company logo and a name tag. She immediately notices that and starts apologizing profusely for the dumb question. And we both laugh about it.

Then to make it funnier, she tell me she is also a retail worker and HATES when people ask her that question so that made her even more embarrassed that she asked me if I worked there.

So I help her, she thanks me and apologizes again but I thanked her for giving me a good laugh and a chance to talk to a fellow retail worker about customer stupidity

I had that happen the other day ... ran into Big Chain Bookstore to get to the Starbucks there, with my tea apron on ... somebody asked me if I could tell them where something was (can't remember the details). I apologized and explained that I didn't work at that store. I also didn't know where their asked-for item was, or I'd have shown them ... although I do wonder what they thought I did at the bookstore, considering I had huge wet splotches all over my apron (I'd been washing dishes at the tea store) ....
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
      ... although I do wonder what they thought I did at the bookstore, considering I had huge wet splotches all over my apron (I'd been washing dishes at the tea store) ....
      But you were wearing an apron inside a store! Even if it was a bookstore, you couldn't expect them to actually notice or read what was on the apron.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

And yet, if you wear an apron in the store you actually WORK AT, people have no idea you work there. I've gotten asked "do you work here" while wearing my apron, with headset and handheld, while standing behind the cutting counter rolling fabric onto a bolt.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My first post here - Hello everyone!

What I can't stand is I'm at my register, with the light on...and people ask if I'm open. Uh, nooo. I'm just standing here to look pretty and to tell you to keep on walking? Yet when the light off and the gate is CLOSED, I've had people try to open the gate and get in my line. What planet do you live on that you think I'm open to serve you when you just saw me turn my light off and close the gate? But yet they are too impatient and too stupid to learn how to use SCO.

Comment

^ That, so much that. I'm so glad I don't work retail at the moment.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I just got that "Do you work here?" at Wally World last week.

Which was amusing as it had been years since I had worked there, AND I wasn't wearing anything close to a blue vest, AND I had just made a 7-hour drive so I wasn't looking the corporate part.

Must have been my slightly glazed is-it-time-for-bed look I had going.

B
              "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
              I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

I actually did give someone a spurious "do you work here?" the other day, but when the answer was "no", I said "sorry" and moved on.

The actual staff were being scarce just then, and the woman in question had the "aura" -- dunno if that's movement, posture or whatever, but when I'd seen her from the corner of my eye, I'd instinctively parsed her as staff, despite her lack of livery. I strongly suspect she does or has worked for some other store of similar type.

Comment

NAL - Welcome aboard! We're friendly sorts here Read the rules (They basically boil down to "Don't be a jerk"), PM me or another mod if you have any questions, and make yourself at home!

As for your customer(s) there, I have found that some of them are indeed narcissistic enough to believe that having your station appear closed is really just a ruse to keep the lesser customers away -- they know that you're really just waiting for that one special customer to show up.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Hah. A couple of days ago I got a "do you work here" for wearing red suspenders at a big-box hardware store. It wasn't even the orange-apron one. :-)

What's even funnier is I was able to direct the guy to where he wanted to go.

Comment

...is intrigued by the username and now has visions of naked laughing till girl running from customers demanding to be served....
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I was at the corner store near my work yesterday, and despite wearing my uniform with 'SECURITY' plastered across the back and the company name on both sleeves...I was asked if I worked at the store. I was holding my wallet and the items I was going to purchase, and my swipe card and client ID were clearly visible, marking me as NOT working at the corner store. "Um, no ma'am. I'm just a customer. Sorry."

"There's no way a woman can be a security guard anywhere!"

"Ma'am, not only am I a security guard, but I'm a site supervisor - I can even tell other guards how to do their jobs and everything."

I left the store feeling a bit puzzled.

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                          "There's no way a woman can be a security guard anywhere!"
                          "I'm from the future." I mean, is this lady living in 1936? Maybe I was there and she got confused by my outfit...
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                          X