This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The misogyny inherent in the system

I had to run to the store this weekend to get some basic foodstuffs and my wife's meds. While I was there, I engaged it a clear act of undisputed misogyny.

The cash registers were mobbed when I finally went to pay, which seemed weird for a Sunday afternoon and no big sales, but what do I know?

I go to the end of the questionably named 'Express' lane and wait. And wait. And shuffle forward 3 steps. And wait. And wait. Yadda yadda yadda. Finally, the older man in front of me is loading his stuff onto the belt and I'm getting ready to move up and start loading mine. Enter Oppressed Woman.

Me:
    Old Guy: The senior citizen in line in front of me
    OW: Oppressed Woman

Oppressed Woman steps around the edge of the magazine rack to try to sidle into line in front of me, while smiling, and waving one of those premade tubes of polenta. Or sausage, could have been sausage. I dunno, it was food.

OW: *cheery* Hey, I'm in a hurry and just have one item, so I'm going to go ahead of you!

Me: *stepping well into Old Guy's personal space to close the gap* Funny, if you had asked politely, I would probably have said yes. But now I'm going to decline.

OW: *taps Old Guy on the shoulder* Hello! Excuse me, I'm in a hurry so can I just go ahead of you with my one item?

Old Guy: *Turns around, squints her, smiles & winks at me* Well, young lady, I'm a gentleman so if you had been polite to this young man I'd have said yes. But you were very rude, so I'm going to agree with him and say no. Back of the line is that-a-way. *points*

OW: *shrieking* This is ridiculous! YOU'RE RUDE! You're both misogynists! I don't have to put up with this! *Huffs off to a different line altogether*

Old Guy and I look at each, shake our heads, and move on with our groceries and raging misogynistic lives.

"I do not think that word means what you think it means." If a mysogynist is someone who dislikes selfish people, you should be proud to wear the title.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Omg, I've never even had anyone ask nicely if they could go ahead! I very rarely will let someone go ahead but not very often. Realistically, even with a medium amount of groceries, I know I'll get checked out pretty fast. I have my loyalty card on the belt with any coupons, I don't freak out about prices, and I put in my card info while the cashier is scanning the item. I'm shopping for one person, a normal trip for me ends up with two bags. This takes like 2 minutes from start to finish. I'm sorry, just suck it up or go to a different line. Go to the self check out, or go down to the express lanes. I rarely use those because I almost always have more than 10-12 items.

I don't trust a person with one thing not to argue about that one thing, like the lady I saw argue about buying a prepaid card with a credit card (hint: you can't at this store) then argued about the small fee all while in the "express" lane.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Ugh, what a twit! Whatever happened to manners?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Entitlement ate them?
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Yeah, we get a lot of folks around here from the nearest cities who seem to think that they are entitled to special treatment and manners are optional when dealing with locals. None of this has been helped by companies and townships kowtowing to the outsiders over the years because "we need their money."

I pointed out to a woman sitting in her parked in under the 'No Parking - Emergency Vehicles Only' sign, thinking she had overlooked the sign. She looked at me and said "I'm not from here, so that doesn't apply to me." Classy people, clearly I can see why we locals are inferior.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              "I do not think that word means what you think it means." If a mysogynist is someone who dislikes selfish people, you should be proud to wear the title.
              Maybe it was the current word of the day on her daily calander? And she was looking for a reason to use it?

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                Entitlement ate them?
                Apparently so. If you don't give somebody what they want WHEN they want it, you immediately get tagged with some kind of label to show the world what a lousy excuse for a human being you are.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I do phone interviews. I finish about half my interviews without ever seeing my client.

Every so often, someone will get upset about my determination on their case and will pull the race card. My response to this is to laugh loudly and with much amusement and remind them that if we haven't met, neither of us know what the other's race is. Many times, their response is to start swearing and the interview gets terminated.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                    I pointed out to a woman sitting in her parked in under the 'No Parking - Emergency Vehicles Only' sign, thinking she had overlooked the sign. She looked at me and said "I'm not from here, so that doesn't apply to me." Classy people, clearly I can see why we locals are inferior.
                    I'd like to see her pull this with the po-po. Probably laugh the entire time they're writing out her ticket.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      Probably laugh the entire time they're writing out her ticket.
                      ...until she screams about how she doesn't have to pay the ticket because she's not from there
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X