Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost and found crazy who wants back something back that's not his to begin with

This was a interesting one. Apparently I and my supervisor should be fired because we got rid of a lost and found sweater that a guy had turned in and wanted back because no one had claimed it. pretty much this is how it went. I work in a library BTW

SC: Hi, I found this sweater on the bathroom floor and thought I should turn it in. It still appears to be partly in it's packaging so it maybe stolen

Mr. S: Ok thank you *Takes item*

SC: I thought about keeping it but thought it would be better to give it to you.

Mr. S: Well thank you very much.

SC: Sooo what happens to it now, what if no one comes for it?

Mr. S: Well it's held in our lost and found for up to 2 weeks and then if no one claims it the item will be purged.

SC: Purged, what do you mean by purged?

Mr. S: Well unfortunately we have so throw it out

SC: What, why would you do that!

Mr. S: In the past there was a donation company that would come by and pick up any unclaimed clothes but a few years ago they stopped accepting clothes claiming they no longer accept un-washed items.

SC: Well...if I had known that I wouldn't of given it to you. Since I've now turned it in you can't give it back?

MR. S: No sorry, you never know though the person could come back. Besides you don't want something that was sitting beside a toilet

SC: Well admittedly I did try it on...but that's not why I would want it back. I want to give to a thrift shop. You said 2 weeks right. Well I'll be back and I want it given back to me!

MR. S: Well I can't really promise that.

SC: Well this is my name and number and I will put the date on it. I want to give this to a thrift shop, I will be back in exactly 2 weeks from now and want it returned to me then!

Mr. S: You can check but I can't make any promises

I more humored him as he wouldn't shut up about wanting to "donate" it. Our official policy is 7 days for clothes but often we keep stuff for much longer so that's why I said "up to" 2 weeks

*13 days later*

*phone rings* Security Supervisor: Hi, library security.

SC: I was in 13 days ago, I turned in zip up sweater. I'll be by tomorrow to pick it up, have it ready for me.

SS: I'm sorry I purged our lost and found clothes this mourning.

SC: What, I was told you keep items for exactly 2 weeks weeks! It has not been 2 weeks!

SS: I'm sorry official policy is 7 days

SC: No it's 2 weeks, Mr. S told me exactly 2 weeks. He said it was mine to have after that. You don't know your own policy!

SS: Well I wrote that policy so I do know it, and i'm not sure why Mr. S would tell you that, we don't give items to people from lost and found. I purged everything this mourning. there was signs of possible bugs in the clothes bin

SC: No your lying, that sweater is rightfully mine! You have no right throwing it out! I want to talk to the head of security right now, your incompetent and I will have you fired!!!

SS: I am the head of security, out policy is 7 days, the sweater is gone

SC: I want the number of who's in charge of you, you better give it to me right now!!!

SS: Well this is the number to library administration

SC: This better be a real number. I WILL KNOW IF YOUR LYING! and you will be in so much more trouble if this is fake, goodbye!

The guy then twice calls library administration and speaks to the head of library services both times. He apparently demanded that my supervisor and I be immediately fired for gross incompetence and that the sweater be returned to him. They just told him the policy and said security shouldn't of told him he could have it back. The head of the library never really believed the guy but just told us not to promise things to people. The funny part was this wasn't even a good sweater. It was a $15 sweater from a low quality department store chain. Not sure if we've seen the last of him but so far he hasn't come in to rant at us directly. I admit I always have had an issue that we just throw stuff out but we have no way to donate it. The company's that do pick up don't accept un-washed clothes now do to threat of bed bugs and that's also the reason stuff is thrown out. We are a library. Lots of people come in every day. Bed bugs can be a problem and the library is very paranoid about them. More than a few times we've been sitting in the office and a bed bug will be crawling across the desk. None of us has cars so taking a load to a donation bin isn't possible. So things get thrown out. Administration did say they may look to see if there is anymore places that pick up un-washed clothes but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Mr. Security; 01-14-2018, 08:04 PM.

Ugh it's a shame to throw things out but if bed bugs are an issue and they can't be washed then yeah I see the point. You don't want to deal with a bed bug infestation, it's hell on earth.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Unfortunately very few thrift shops have the facilities (or, in the case of the more profit-oriented ones, are willing to provide the facilities) to wash items that come in. I always launder everything I take there; so far they are not rejecting clothing (or furniture, rather to my surprise ... though they won't take pillows).
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

used pillows tend to absorb sweat from usage. they may accept new ones(still in sealed packaging)

Comment

Quoth Mr. Security View Post
          SC: Hi, I found this sweater on the bathroom floor and thought I should turn it in. It still appears to be partly in it's packaging so it maybe stolen
          Probably is. I'll bet $5.00 that I know who stole it.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Mr. Security View Post
            MR. S: No sorry, you never know though the person could come back. Besides you don't want something that was sitting beside a toilet

SC: Well admittedly I did try it on...
            Uhhhhh...

Comment

SC: Purged? What do you mean by purged?

Pulls out mask and hammer
              Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post

It means it was sent to purge-atory.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  It means it was sent to purge-atory.
                  E's lost 'is whig, 'e 'as!
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

It means that all fashion crimes become legal for 12 hours
                    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Affixes hammer to a gold chain and hangs it around his neck

I'd mention something about a camo jacket but in a moment of weakness, I bought one.
                      Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Perhaps pink camo pants?
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Affixes hammer to a gold chain and hangs it around his neck
                          Doesn't that just sound charming?
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Any signs of bedbugs are purge worthy. Especially in a public place
                            Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                            Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                            -Unknown Author

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                              I always launder everything I take there; so far they are not rejecting clothing (or furniture, rather to my surprise ... though they won't take pillows).
                              When Mrs. TGK did a wardrobe purge, many of the garments had tags or were in dry-cleaning sleeves.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X