This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone pre-authorise my funeral

That title doesn't make sense, but still...

If there's one thing that's gonna be the end of me, it'll be that bloody pre-authorisation policy hotels and motels everywhere have been doing lately.

(Sorry if I'm prattling on, but I'm gonna do a recap)

So pre-authorisation is a security bond done with a credit or debit card through an EFTPOS machine. We type in an amount to authorise and run it through. The BANK of the card gets a message to freeze that amount for 7 BUSINESS days max or if we fax them earlier. I did some research and it is possible to do it with debit cards, but instead of lowering the limit like credit cards, that amount will vanish and return at the end of the period.

We can do cash deposits of course.

On my latest shift, I got a call from a lady that stayed last Friday asking why it wasn't released yet. Apparently she was told that the release period was 3-5 days. I talked to the clerk on duty that night and they said 5-7. I tried to talk her down, but she was convinced it was the former. I called her bank and the consultant said it definitely was 7 days. I even checked an online instruction manual for that bank's debit cards.

The consultant just told me to send a fax anyway and just repeat what we just talked about to the guest. I did just that, but they still weren't impressed. Also, I may have slipped and gotten confused that her bank releases authorisations after 10 days when it was really a different bank. She then asked me what bank the motel was with and she told me she was gonna take it up with her bank and ours. I guess she didn't want to listen to the part where it's HER bank freezing the money not our's.

Seriously, this policy has caused me no end of grief when it comes to people checking out. I cop so much abuse from this job, it's almost unfair. It's on our confirmation emails, it's in the fine print on the websites; READ IT! Also, google how authorisation works if you don't know about it, but I guess it's easier to blame the motel EVEN THOUGH WE EXPLAIN IT CLEARLY WHEN YOU ARRIVE.

Do you think I enjoy enforcing the rules? It's my job, I have to. (Granted I do bend the rules now and again)
    There's no point in making miserable, when I've done all I can in my power to fix this. Also, don't treat me like I'm the one responsible for your problem.

rant over

... cancel my subscription to the resurrection, send my credentials to the house of detention, I've got some friends down there ...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

How can people not know about this? Credit card companies have done it for years. I think it’s a $100 hold just at the gas pump.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
        How can people not know about this? Credit card companies have done it for years. I think it’s a $100 hold just at the gas pump.
        That used to happen in my state, now at the pumps they can't hold more than $50 for gas and $75 for diesel. After the sale the hold must be released in a few hours.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

People are stupid. And can't be bothered to know all the details. I'm not a fan of authorization holds either, BUT, it is what it is. I recently had to rent a car while mine was in the shop. While the rental was under $100 for the time I had it, the hold was $250. Fine. Of course, I use my Am Ex which has no limit, and due to my spending habits, its never an issue to approve that much of a hold. But if i did use a cc with a limit, i'd make sure (as all mine are) it wasn't close to being maxed out.

Comment

Around here the hold lasts 3-5 business days. Thankfully we don't have people complain about it very much.

Some online banks will hold it for weeks for some reason. And that's why you should never use a pay card.

Comment

Working...
            X