X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it takes to Blacklist a customer at the large Corp Pizza chains

In my thread in COC -- Goodbye Mr. Man-Child EricKei comments this:
    Kit - At any delivery place I've ever worked at or heard of, unfortunately, no. The company still makes its money from a regular stiffer, and that's all that matters. A driver can refuse to go to certain places with cause (e.g. too dangerous...unless you work at "Dice Pizza;" they're known for firing people over a refusal), but it has to be something like skeezing on female (only) employees. Actually getting blacklisted generally requires something serious enough that you could get the custy arrested for, such as making physical/violent threats, or, far more seriously , being mean to the store manager or district manager.
    We just had something like this happen at my store. A bit long

Over the summer my almost Daughter-In-Law (ADIL) bought a house in my delivery area. This area is a nice quiet area with nice older houses. The neighborhood is great. I helped her move in.

I noticed the house next to hers was not like the others. It was on the trashy side (meaning the lawn was unkept, the house looked like not much work has been done in a while, and the back yard/garage was not in the best shape. Just me observing.

Fast Forward a couple of months. That house orders pizza. I get the delivery. I get to the door and do a normal transaction but I do glance inside. The inside is on the trashy side. Ok Whatever not for me to judge at this time.

Fast Forward again to December. House orders again. Another driver gets the order. The total is $13.50. The person at the door gives the driver $3 and is trying to talk to someone inside. The driver is also trying inform the person that they still owe $10.50. Driver and person go back a forth a couple of times BUT the person then threatens to "Cut " the driver "up" for some reason.

The driver eventually gets the rest of the total. upon returning to store he informs the MOD of what just happened. Naturally the story gets told around the store and I hear about it. Address is now blacklisted.

BUT the story does not end there (this involves a bit of Pro Revenge). I talk to ADIL about this and warn her about her neighbors. She has also noticed not so savory things like people frequently coming and going at all times of the day and night.

Now comes the interesting part. ADIL says that her friends Mother owns that house and is renting it out. She says she will inform owner of the funky goings on and the fact the tenants threatened violence toward a delivery driver.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I had a delivery up the street from ADIL and was going back to a main street when I noticed something. A police car is stilling 2 doors up from ADILs house. There is an officer standing in front of ADILs house and he is approached by another person who has a Red paper in his hand. They walk past ADILs house and approach the not-so-nice house. I could not linger so I head back to the store.

I texted ADIL about the situation. Several days later ADIL called me to inform me the tenants had been evicted and the house was trashed (as in a BIG dumpster in the driveway).

Yes this is what it takes to get blacklisted at a large Corp. chain.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Can't say I'm surprised
    Wouldn't it be a scream if an Undercover Boss episode included the boss seeing some idiotic corporate decision biting the boss in the keister
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Can't say I'm surprised
      Wouldn't it be a scream if an Undercover Boss episode included the boss seeing some idiotic corporate decision biting the boss in the keister
      OH HELLL YEAH!!!!!!

I would ABSOLUTLY LOVE if they did an UB with me attempting to train the person as a driver. Yes I give all the company BS lines and mostly tow the company line BUT I do most certainly go off script and for good reason. I do explain about security and safety BUT how the company makes us violate some of their own policies (if we did not violate these policies our delivery business would drop by around 30% or more).

This job is not as simple as people think or believe. I start my driver training with the following joke/statement: "This job consists of going from Point A the store to Point B the customers residence and back to Point A the store. NOW I will spend the next hour totally contradicting that statement. Let us begin young Padawan. This job is NOT all bright blue skys, cotton candy clouds, and unicorns farting rainbows. and it most certainly is not all just driving and chillin. There is a LOT more to this job than you realize" And you know what?? most of the newbie non experienced trainees are really amazed at the amount of work and thought that does go into this job.

Their heads would explode if they themselves had to do this "not real" job forgetting that without delivery drivers (of whatever flavor Uber, major companies, local companies, etc.) THEY would have to brave the shitty weather (whatever flavor) to get their "precious" take-out goodies.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        I do explain about security and safety BUT how the company makes us violate some of their own policies
        I can certainly back this up.

The main one seems to be "Don't speed, but make DAMN sure you get there within the quoted time." In other words, "Know where the speed traps are and be prepared to speed everywhere else if need be."

"Dice Pizza" (where I've never worked, but I know those who have, and word gets around) used to have this "30 minutes or it's free" policy; later amended to something like "30 minutes or you get a small discount." From what I was told at the time, the reason Corporate had no problem with this policy was simple: It didn't cost them a dime. If a free or discounted pizza went out, it came out of the driver's money. This, obviously, encouraged drivers to speed/drive with less caution than usual -- which the cops loved, and drivers are still easy targets to this day.

To be fair, said company intentionally chose comparatively small delivery zones in order to accommodate this, but that did precious little good during rush hour/the primetime dinner rush.

There have been rumors for years that the policy came to an abrupt end when a driver finally killed somebody who wasn't one of their own, but I kinda doubt it. Snopes says that, while one person died in a collision with a Dice driver, it was blamed on weather conditions, and that the policy ended because of a separate lawsuit involving an injury caused by a driver, not a death.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I can certainly back this up.
          Well the stuff I am talking about involves:

NOT going around to the back of a building (meaning never be out of sight) Yeah 1/4 of my delivery area is houses chunked up into multi-units with entrances all over the building

NOT delivering to houses with NO porch light on.

Parking under a lit streetlight----- Yeah right the towns and villages I deliver to only put multiple street lights on MAIN streets and for the side streets ONLY at an intercetion of streets. Right like I am going to park a half a block away to make a delivery.

AND you have no idea how many people STILL believe in the "30 or its free" thingie even though it was terminated 25 years go AND my pizza place is NOT Dominos

Comment

Working...
          X