This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 9 Heavy

Launch was successful! Musk's Tesla is on its way to Mars (sorta). Check out the view! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2p55BmwmJM

The two boosters landing is pretty awesome to see, too. They came down side by side, just almost perfectly in sync. Too bad they lost the main booster, but that's a hiccup. Missed the drone ship by 300 feet, because the landing rockets malfunctioned.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

It was fantastic to watch, and unbelievable. The live feeds of the Tesla and Starman are just unbelievable; it looks like its CGI, but it's real.

On another board, I've seen some speculation that the core may have burned for a hair too long, which meant that it didn't have enough fuel to stick the drone landing.

Reports are the last burn (that put it into the transfer orbit) also was a bit too strong, meaning they'll 'overshoot' Mars and visit the asteroid belt. The speculation I heard is that it may all be related. The core gave them too much of a boost, so when the 2nd boost happened last night, they had more velocity than expected so the boost pushed them more than intended.

In any case, while it had a few hiccups, it was a huge PR boost for space flight in general and fantastic and amazing to watch. The twins landing simultaneously was just incredible. As one meme put it, "Is it Musk or is it Thunderbirds?" (I also got a kick out of the "Bowie plays Tesla; Tesla plays Bowie" meme too. )

*Edit* Now I've heard that the official word is that they just opened up the engines for the second burn to see how much was left in the tank and how far they could go. Since they'll probably never have an opportunity to do that sort of thing again (non-Test launches want to go exactly where they say to go after all), they went all out.
    Last edited by Jetfire; 02-07-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Elon Musk gets ticket in the mail for speeding, his car was caught on camera doing 25,000 mph
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Hopefully he has a permit for Ceres Parking Orbit, or Argabarga's Asteroid Belt counterpart might be towing Musk.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
          Hopefully he has a permit for Ceres Parking Orbit, or Argabarga's Asteroid Belt counterpart might be towing Musk.
          Considering how many year it's likely to be before his BFR starts commuting to Mars et al, the storage fees will be astronomical. Not to mention vehicles must transfer registration to the local state within 90 days with proof of insurance. Probably be better to plead guilty to "Litterin'. And creating a public nuisance." Group υυ!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Wow, that didn't take long. There's this really cool model of Musk's Tesla already on Thingiverse, and several people have already printed it. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2788546
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
            X