This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We gave you the card you asked for!

BG: my C-store chain has two varieties of reloadable gift cards: Fuel cards can only be used for buying gas, and give you a 3 cent/gallon discount; Gift cards can be used to buy gas or merchandise, and give you bonus loyalty points when you put money on them. Once you put money on them, you can't get the money back off, and you can't transfer the money to a different card.

Also important: the way our register system works is that you can back out of a transaction at almost any point, but for some reason once the customer hits "credit", it brings up a screen that says "ask customer to sign", and you can't do anything until they sign the pinpad screen. /end BG

It was just a few minutes before the end of my shift, and the store was empty, so I was shutting down my drawer while my Shift Leader did paperwork in the office. An old man came in and walked up to SL's register, so I went over to help him.

OM: Hi, I'd like a hundred dollars on a gas card, please.
    Me: A gas card? Okay.
    SL: *comes out of office* I got this, FoxFire, go ahead and finish closing your register.
    Me: OK, he wants a hundred dollar gas card, just so you know.
    SL: *talking to customer* OK, so you need a gas card?
    OM: Yes, I'd like a hundred on it, please.
    *SL does transaction, OM pays with credit card, and the transaction is done except for his signature when:
    OM: Wait, this is the one that gives me bonus points, right?
    SL: No, this is the one that gives you a discount.
    OM: What?! I needed the one that gives you bonus points! Can you switch it to the right card?
    SL: No, sorry, gift card sales are final, and the transaction is done except for the signature.
    OM: Well I'm not signing for it! you gave me the wrong card!
    SL: Sir, we gave you the card you asked for, I can't undo the transaction, please sign the pinpad.

*They argue back and forth like this for like five minutes, OM gets angrier and angrier, and SL just keeps repeating that there's nothing he can do. (well, technically he could have manually added points to the customer's account; we do that when customers forget their loyalty card, but that's reserved for customers who don't yell at us) until the "Please sign reciept" screen finally times out and prints the reciept. The guy takes his gas card and storms out right as I'm finishing up my stuff and clocking out.

I go out to the parking lot, and he's pumping his gas and complaining loudly to someone over the phone ( at the time I assumed it was his wife, but I really have no idea), about how we gave him the wrong card. No, dude, we gave you the card you asked us for, we asked you repeatedly if that was the card you wanted, you just didn't make sure it was really the card you wanted until it was too late for us to do anything. And seriously, throwing a tantrum because you got a discount instead of extra loyalty points? Cry me a river.
    It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

I can't stand when people refuse/don't know how to communicate. It's especially prevalent among seniors who eat at BK. I hated serving the older people there. I'd punch in what they ordered, which apparently wasn't what they wanted.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

One of the things I will not miss about my last retail job: we have a glass-fronted jewelery case with three shelves, usually quite full. There are a handful of customers who will do the following when asking to see pieces:
      *Bang on the glass
      *Issue directions which instead of being helpful like "left" or "forward" yell things like "NEXT!" or my favourite from Friday, "INSIDE!"
      *Decline to name the type of item or even the colour that they want - we have literally dozens of pieces on each shelf. Rings, bracelets, necklaces, brooches...

Sometimes I want to say "I'm happy to show you every piece in here, but tapping the glass repeatedly does NOT help me to figure out whether what you want is the black pendant or the green ring!"

Comment

Quoth Lady_Foxfire View Post
        I go out to the parking lot, and he's pumping his gas and complaining loudly to someone over the phone ( at the time I assumed it was his wife, but I really have no idea), about how we gave him the wrong card. No, dude, we gave you the card you asked us for, we asked you repeatedly if that was the card you wanted, you just didn't make sure it was really the card you wanted until it was too late for us to do anything. And seriously, throwing a tantrum because you got a discount instead of extra loyalty points? Cry me a river.
        I always like how it is always someone elses fault when they were the ones who messed up in the first place, and then compounds his stupidity by being on his phone whilst pumping fuel. Silly man.

Comment

The evil part of me would've made a point of remotely shutting the pump down, then used the PA to loudly tell him to get off the phone or the pump stays off
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
          X