This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Heat Works

I decided my first story should be a new one, not one I've posted elsewhere on the internets, though it's a fun story to tell when I want to hurt people's brains. This happened about a year ago.

I'm a department manager at a pet store. I get called up front by a cashier that can normally handle customer complains on his own. He doesn't give me any warning, just directed me to the woman standing there with an aquatic heater.

SC: I bought this heater 6 months ago. Today, I pulled my heater out of my aquarium and it got really hot!
    Me: Did you unplug it?
    SC: No.
    Me: That's why. Anytime you take your heater out of the water you have to unplug it.
    SC: I took it out to clean the tank and sat it on a plastic thing. It melted the plastic!
    Me: ...yes, you have to unplug it.
    SC: It shouldn't get that hot! My house temperature is the same as the temperature in the water! There's no reason it should get that hot! When I put it back in the water it started boiling!

I admit, she broke my brain for a bit here and she got the first thing that came to mind.
    Me: That's how heat works.
    SC: I'm a SCIENTIST! You don't have to tell me how heat works!

At this point, I decide it isn't worth the argument.
    Me: If you think something's wrong with the heater, you'll have to call the manufacturer since it's past our 30 day return policy.

She got mad, and just bought a new one. The cashier was having a really hard time keeping a straight face during this whole ordeal and it still gets brought up from time to time.

She's a scientist that can't handle basic aquarium equipment...maybe take her fish away and give her a nice plant to see how she can handle that for a while before upgrading again...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Isn't it amazing how many people are scientists, lawyers, and/or doctors when it appears their knowledge of something is being questioned?

Comment

Scientist....Yeah, she has a B.S. in B.S.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Mad scientist, maybe.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It would be nice to get away with saying, "YOU'RE the scientist, yet you're coming to ME?!?! Right now, I look like the smart one between the two of us..."

Comment

Definition of a scientist: Someone who studies more and more about less and less, until they know completely everything about absolutely nothing.
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

When I got my first aquarium many years ago...I did alot of research not only on the fish but the equipment as well. When it comes to the heater, you're supposed to unplug it then wait a a short while for it to cool down before taking it out of the water.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                  She's a scientist that can't handle basic aquarium equipment...maybe take her fish away and give her a nice plant to see how she can handle that for a while before upgrading again...
                  Please NO hurting plants PLEEEEZZZEEEEEE This supposed scientist could be like one of my sisters --- an ADMITTED unintentional plant killer. My sister could do everything right and the plant would still die. The only plant she could NOT kill was wallpaper print plants.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My sister has a green thumb...for algae. Every tank she's ever owned has had algae absolutely thrive.

Before I moved to AZ, I had a fish tank in the house. Pretty, clear, and clean. The day after I told her it was her's it was filled with algae. Nothing had changed except ownership.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                      ... The only plant she could NOT kill was wallpaper print plants.
                      And even they looked a little faded.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

SC: I'm a SCIENTIST! You don't have to tell me how heat works!
                        I'm somewhat reminded of Adam Savage's infamous quote. "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

although funny... I suspect there are those out there who really do follow that pathway.

Comment

Should have asked her what kind of scientist, just to watch her panic. In my experience, "scientists" typically refer to themselves by their discipline (physicist, chemist, etc), "scientist" is how them describe themselves to children.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                            Please NO hurting plants PLEEEEZZZEEEEEE This supposed scientist could be like one of my sisters --- an ADMITTED unintentional plant killer. My sister could do everything right and the plant would still die. The only plant she could NOT kill was wallpaper print plants.
                            So I'm guessing that even her artificial plants had died too?

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                              I wouldn't even trust her with a plant. Maybe a pet rock...
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X