This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot your mouth off...shot your foot off

Reading another thread just earlier about how a customer effectively shot himself in the foot and talked his way right OUT of receiving a credit...I was reminded of one of my last calls I had prior to going on leave at work

For those of you playing at home who may be unaware - health insurance industry. Call centre jockey

Me - *opening spiel, welcome to us...*

SC, yelling - 'Im at the dentist and my card wont go through! I KNOW that I should be getting at least $250 of this visit covered by my insurance but THE CARD Wont WORK! You WILL fix this RIGHT NOW for me, I am SO sick of your company stuffing everything up!'

*During her tirade, I've scanned her policy at a million miles an hour. I have confirmed on my end that she is indeed entitled to a rebate, approx $260-worth, and the reason her card isnt going through is because she hasnt paid her latest mths installment.
    HOWEVER
    I can also see notes where she spoke with one of our brand-spankin'-new trainees a few days prior, and they have even noted that they told her that if she paid her account 'just a few days late' then it 'should still be fine' and she 'wont have any trouble at the dentist'
    So. It is correct that her card shouldnt be working as her account is overdue.
    BUT.
    In cases like this where the customer has been given blatant misinformation, and the amount is not too high, we will 'make an adjustment' on the policy on our end to still allow the card to go through, then advise them they have a payment extension etc.
    So. I go back to the woman to tell her this*

Me - 'Ok ma'am, I've just had a look through your policy, and I can see...'

*cuts me off*

SC - 'I'll tell you what you can see! You can see that you people have f*cked up my account is what you can see! You've broken my card!'

Me - 'Sorry, no, what I was trying to say was...'

*interrupts me again*

SC - 'NO, NO you listen to ME! I dont want to HEAR any of your bullshit! This happens all the goddamn time with you people!'

*NOTE- there are no previous calls or complaints on her policy at all *

Me - 'Ma'am what I'm trying to say is I can help...'

*once again...interrupts*

SC - 'You wanna help me? Huh? You wanna HELP me?! All you people wanna do is take my money every month and then when it comes time for me to claim, you can't be stuffed! You're crooks!'

Me - 'I can SEE the problem and can fix it for...'

*cuts me off yet again*

SC - 'I KNOW you can bloody well see the problem, you CREATED the problem! I DEMAND you fix my card RIGHT NOW otherwise Ill cancel my policy with you people!'

Me - 'Ma'am I am trying to help...'

SC - 'No you know what, I've had enough of you wasting my time you BITCH, f*ck this!'

*CLICK*....and she hangs up.

Now. Depending on whether or not its a peak [busy] period for us...we may or may not be allowed to take ourselves off the phones to follow up on a policy. This was during one of those times that we were not allowed to do so.
    Any and all matters were to be handled during the course of the call. We could place people on hold, but once the call was terminated, the system was setup in a way that the policy closed [and did not save] and the automatic dialler threw in the next call right away, and that next account was automatically brought up on our screen.
    So. When Miss Interrupter hung up on me, she hung up on her chance to have her card fixed within a few short minutes. I simply needed 30 seconds to advise her that I could see the problem, would place her on a brief hold, and get a manager to run over and auth an override so that her card would work

Dont get me wrong. I completely understand that she was frustrated, absolutely.
    However nothing can be achieved by her swearing and ranting, and most importantly, NOT LETTING ME SPEAK.
    I mean, WHY CALL if you arent going to let me get a GODDAMN WORD in?
    Sheesh.
    Last edited by Ree; 05-10-2013, 12:06 AM. Reason: Bumping charitable request

Because she wasn't calling to get it fixed.

She knew damn well that she was late on her payment, and this was why it wasn't going through. She was embarrassed, humiliated, and needed someone to take it out on.

I haven't had many of these calls lately fortunately, but when I get them... there is literally nothing you can do for the customer. They want to berate you, they want you to try and help so they can throw it back in your face, then they will inevitably end the call and storm off, and vindicate themselves that they are the victims on an evil corporation.

They don't want it fixed, they want to be right, and they are calling you to establish that.

Some people will take a few calls to rant and belittle before they cool off enough to actually listen and get the problem fixed. Usually by then they're surprised at how uncooperative the company is by that point.
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Why should you care about her?

You are trying to save the life of your child.

She is trying to making her payments or $260 on her dental bill.

I have a very big guess where your main interests are directed.

Good luck and hoping for the best for your family.

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
        Because she wasn't calling to get it fixed.

She knew damn well that she was late on her payment, and this was why it wasn't going through.
        So, so true.
        Not once during the call did she bother to bring up the fact that she had spoken with us, had been late on the payment etc
        Nope, she just kept saying that once again theres a problem.
        As mentioned in the original post - she had never called in prior, there had never been c complaint logged on her account, there had never been a rejected claim - nothing.

She just wanted to yell and scream and be a douche. Meh, meh I say

Comment

Tilly, if we didn't work on opposite sides of the ocean, I would swear that we were dealing with the same customers!
          Thank you for calling Card Services, how may I take your abuse today? ~Headset Hellion

Comment

I've had calls where every time I opened up my mouth, I got yelled at. I eventually just sat there completely quiet, when they start yelling at me for not talking, I tell them that I just wanted to let them finish so I could finally help them.

Comment

Quoth tilly101 View Post

It is correct that her card shouldnt be working as her account is overdue.
              BUT.
              In cases like this where the customer has been given blatant misinformation, and the amount is not too high, we will 'make an adjustment' on the policy on our end to still allow the card to go through, then advise them they have a payment extension etc.
              So. I go back to the woman to tell her this*
              I'm evil this is what I would have done

I'm an ex Call Centre Manager

I may not have been right but was never questioned by the owner

Authorize the payment asap

Send a letter to the client to inform them that this has been done

Include in this letter if future payment are not recieved on time that they will no longer have a policy with your company

The most important if they miss a payment cancel the policy

In 15 years I've cancelled only two accounts for abuse of staff

My staff received numerous apology letters and calls (requested by me for service to contine)

Comment

Tilly101, your story reminds me of a song lyric in "Absolute Zero" by Stone Sour.
                "My mouth is a gun I can shoot."

Unfortunately, this gun can go off half-cocked and usually does more damage to the shooter than the intended target.
                This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Let's hope she did get absolute zero from your company.
                  This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Working...
                  X