This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Service Dog, and dangled bait

Ok, Most of what happened tonight, I'm more or less resigned to, the second half I could see coming a mile away, but this first part has me incensed.

I was walking along the aisles on the way to the evening huddle('cause you know, ice cream! or something, usually.) and happened to notice that someone had a dog on a leash down the pet food aisle. As we are not petco, or petsmart, and did in fact have a great deal of people food, this was a major "nuh-uh" Health hazards, safety hazards...you know the drill.

Now, this dog was a black something. Probably had some lab in him somewhere. He was on a simple leash, with no other adornments other then the collar. But when I went up to the customer in question, with the dog looking up at me and then walking around behind the guy to hide from me, the customer told me he was a service dog. a SERVICE DOG. They'd just forgotten his vest.

I grew up with large dogs. I can read doggy behavior better then I can read most human. IF that dog had been service trained, I'm a poodle. "In training" I might have accepted. Service dogs on the job act quite a bit less doggy than he was.

But, alas, I am a mere peon, so I continued on to the back to the huddle and told the LOD about him. He was unwilling to do anything for fear of repercussions.

I don't really know why the idea of an imitation service dog, just to be able to bring your dog into a store, has me seeing red, but it does. It's horrible, unsafe, unsanitary and frankly can and probably will end up giving REAL service dogs an undeserved bad reputation among those that can't tell the difference. Which, actually come to think, might be enough of a reason to get annoyed over it. I'm also reasonably sure it's against the law, but that might be only in some regions...

The second part, like I said, I'm more or less resigned to this sort of thing, but it still drives me crazy. The dangled carrot. At the huddle the LOD gave the normal "work hard, lets get finished early" speech. Also said something about when we're finished to call him and he'd walk the area and "Talk about letting you leave."

Well, instantly in my mind was the thought that THAT talk would play out like "You're funny, now go over to <problem department that I am really suspecting of abusing the everyone leaves together policy to get out of doing actual work> and help them. There, we talked about it."

Which is more or less how it played out. My department finished up by 11:15, and were told to go to the section of <problem department> that they always leave for us, Infant/basics. After we finished that up, we went to help them in their other sections too, ended up leaving at midnight.

Every time the closing LOD does that, dangling a hint of a reward that they have no intention on ever following through on(and the LOD today was notorious for it) simply as bait to get people to work harder, my respect for them dwindles and dwindles.(This particular one doesn't have a lot left) Really, what is our motivation to work hard, when our reward is to go and do the work of people that have had customer complaints for just sitting around chatting instead of working?
    Last edited by Sulhythal; 05-07-2013, 05:54 AM.

Quoth Sulhythal View Post

Every time the closing LOD does that, dangling a hint of a reward that they have no intention on ever following through on(and the LOD today was notorious for it) simply as bait to get people to work harder, my respect for them dwindles and dwindles.(This particular one doesn't have a lot left) Really, what is our motivation to work hard, when our reward is to go and do the work of people that have had customer complaints for just sitting around chatting instead of working?

And you know he/they are lying. therefore, from now on, your group needs to carefully drag your work out until the actual quitting time. If they want you to stay later to clean up another department, they will have to pay you overtime for it. See how long that staying late lasts.
    Seriously. DO NOT REWARD their bad behavior and the LOD's lies.

Comment

Every time the closing LOD does that, dangling a hint of a reward that they have no intention on ever following through on(and the LOD today was notorious for it) simply as bait to get people to work harder, my respect for them dwindles and dwindles
      And what makes it even more annoying is that they seem to think that you haven't rumbled them yet.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I don't really know why the idea of an imitation service dog, just to be able to bring your dog into a store, has me seeing red, but it does. It's horrible, unsafe, unsanitary and frankly can and probably will end up giving REAL service dogs an undeserved bad reputation among those that can't tell the difference. Which, actually come to think, might be enough of a reason to get annoyed over it. I'm also reasonably sure it's against the law, but that might be only in some regions...
        Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and absolutely yes.

A service animal is trained not to bite, scratch, push, pull, or otherwise put anyone in danger (other than dangers they can't help, such as being dogs).

A service animal is trained to stay as out of the way as possible: sitting under the table when his person is eating or talking.

A service animal is trained to signal his person when he needs to pee or poo, and to wait until the person provides the appropriate signal to do so.

A service animal won't snatch or steal. Won't react in a dangerous way to surprising noises or sights. And a whole bunch of other things they're trained to do, or not to do.

All of THIS is what makes them exceptional. That they can achieve this level of training, and then do their specific job on top of it.

And everyone who insists their animal - who may or may not be helpful to them - is a service animal despite not having all that training, makes it harder for real service animals.

My little Violet does help stabilise A's emotions, and helps me cope with my own disabilities. BUT: she doesn't have all that ancillary training. So she's not a service animal. Therepeutic, but NOT granted the prerogatives of service animals.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Marmalady View Post
          And what makes it even more annoying is that they seem to think that you haven't rumbled them yet.
          QFT.

That's what really gets me. I totally understand (even though I don't condone) management lying; some people do respond to it. What really irks me when they think I'm too stupid to see through them. Worse is when whatever they are encouraging with the lie also fits in with what I was going to do anyway and it looks like I swallowed it. I rarely 'cut off my nose to spite my face' but it's very tempting sometimes.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
            And you know he/they are lying. therefore, from now on, your group needs to carefully drag your work out until the actual quitting time. If they want you to stay later to clean up another department, they will have to pay you overtime for it. See how long that staying late lasts.
            Seriously. DO NOT REWARD their bad behavior and the LOD's lies.
            As much as I'd love this, "actual quitting time" for our store is "when all the work is done"

or when they get antsy about payroll, but they never tell -us- what the absolute time we'll leave is, probably to prevent people from doing that.

Of course, if our department IS behind, we tend to get "coached" about it, and our own department managers take a hit too.

Comment

Unfortunately, there's no legal standard of service dog training. It's perfectly legal to train your own, for instance, to whatever standard serves you. And it is illegal to challenge the status of a service dog.

Comment

Quoth TheHats View Post
                And it is illegal to challenge the status of a service dog.
                And this is why I feel the ADA needs to police themselves and provide proof that service animals are certified; no certification, not a service animal and out it goes. Too many self-centered people are lying about their "pwecious snookums" being a service dog. What happens if it attacks someone in your store? I see the victim suing you as well as the owner, especially as the store has deeper pockets...

Comment

this first part has me incensed.

I don't really know why the idea of an imitation service dog, just to be able to bring your dog into a store, has me seeing red, but it does. It's horrible, unsafe, unsanitary and frankly can and probably will end up giving REAL service dogs an undeserved bad reputation among those that can't tell the difference.
                  Right there with you on this one. We've got one woman bringing in some teeny toy dog (adorable, yes) and saying it's her service dog. I would SWEAR that a dog-hearted coworker of mine has told her to say this so she can bring her pet in while browsing DVDs. So. Not. Okay.

Comment

the dangling carrot?

No good deed goes unpunished

i swear this is my family's motto
                    there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth camjuniper View Post
                      Right there with you on this one. We've got one woman bringing in some teeny toy dog (adorable, yes) and saying it's her service dog.
                      FWIW a toy dog can be a service dog. Not every service dog has to be able to pull or lead a person somewhere or even be that visible. There are service dogs for people with severe anxiety disorders, who are calmed by the presence of the animal. There are dogs who can tell when their person is about to have a seizure and who can signal it to them so they can get to a safe place or lie down on the floor. A toy dog in a carrier could do that stuff.

Obviously this is the kind of thing that people use as camouflage when they just want to take a pet purse dog everywhere. I'm just saying that there are legit service dogs out there who really don't look the part.

Comment

A customer at my last job has a teacup yorkie service dog. Big, tough looking guy carrying around this teeny weeny dog. Penny loves everyone, and everyone loves her. And since her purpose is for his anxiety and to help him interact with people, he allows people to interact with her. She always got lots of pettings, and she loved me, because I brought in dog biscuits for customer's pets on the patio, and she usually got a tiny crumb.
                        My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I saw people being sneaky about getting around the "service animals only" rule at the wholesale club. One woman has her little "purse dog," another woman kept her dog (another really small one) tucked in her shirt.

The real kicker had to be the woman who had her dog in a baby stroller. It was completely contained, covered with little screens all around, and tried to claim that made it okay. We always told "NO, it isn't okay." And she'd just ignore us and keep bringing the dog in with her that way.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                            FWIW a toy dog can be a service dog.
                            Or monkeys.

One of my friends in VA had another friend (in a wheelchair) who had a service monkey.

Comment

I've heard of a service horse(both the full size, and the dog sized mini-horse) I kind of wish someone would bring one of those in. Because that would be cool!

Also, Service sheep, goats...I think pretty much any animal has the potential to be service trained.

Except maybe goldfish.

Comment

Working...
                              X