X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping in the time of covid...

hi all. long time no see.

after 2 and a half years in CA, we've gone back to our old stomping grounds at the Big Yellow campground in northern WI. CA was... an experience. i'm glad i went and saw it... but, no offense to my west coast friends, i'm glad i'm not there anymore.

so anyway. this is a decently sized campground. normally the place runs a staff of close to 50. this year we LITERALLY have half that. AND YET... it is one of the busiest seasons we've experienced! REALLY! packed to the gills every single weekend... and people starting to pour in on thursdays instead of waiting to friday like they used to. it's been insane

with that state set, let me tell you a few short quips from just this week

someone took a toddler with diarrhea into the pool, thinking a swimmy diaper would be sufficient. the predictable happened... owner goes in to close the pool just as i'm leaving work. as i'm walking home i can HEAR the outraged calls of "you've got to be kidding me??!?" and "But we just got in here!" behind me. srsly? you WANT to swim in sh**y water?

multiple instances of people walking cluelessly right in the office door while we had it unlocked to allow employees in to clock in... while ALL the lights were OFF.

multiple instances of people walking cluelessly up to closed registers... the most notable of which was the time i was writing the last names of the daily arrivals on the "welcome!" board, which is a something like 2'x4' A frame sign, which i had resting diagonally across the entire checkout station, rather obviously blocking all access to that register. 2nd most notable occurrence was i returned from the restroom today and found a line waiting for me at my register... when there were 3 other stations open.

and then... we have the people who are simply outraged that we can't run the tubing van all the time like we normally can. i mean, i can understand them being frustrated. river tubing is one of the advertised amenities... but we normally have 2-3 drivers on staff. this year we only had 1. HAD. a week ago he unexpectedly had to go home due to a heart condition. so now we have no drivers. one of the owners has taken over driving the tube van, but the poor man is already busier than the proverbial one armed paper hanger... he literally can not drive the tube van every day all day. so he drives thursday, friday, saturday. we've been yelled at about that... once was literally the day after he left. "you should have something on your website! you should have told us!" "sorry ma'am. we just found out yesterday. he literally just left today." and no, we're not going to phone thousands of people to tell them our tubing schedule has been FUBARed...

and speaking of tubing.. we have to do it differently due to covid restrictions. we used to be able to cram the van full, and kept it running that way literally all day from 10 till 4 back to back, back and forth. now, we can only take family units... one at a time on the van. if there's only 2 people in a unit, that's all that goes on the van for that trip. when the van gets back, it gets sanitized before the next group goes. this has, obviously, slowed things down quite a bit... so now there's a signup sheet. so much confusion over that damnable sheet. so many outraged people who didn't pay attention to the "sign up early, the list fills fast" and just go rolling over to the sign up area when they're ready to go tubing, only to find out that the list filled and closed 3 hours ago. so many wails of "but no one toooooooold uuuuuuussssss"

o well

also, had a few hooligans on the park this weekend, but may save that one for another post, as still not 100% sure how that story will play out. we're waiting on them to do anything else stupid tonight.

Sign out sheet

Funny sign-off sheet stories. On the Amazing race runners are racing for ONE MILLION DOLLARS. At times there is a bunch point that people leave in the order they sign in.

I watched one show when a team arrived and spent so much talking about what to do that two other separate teams arrived and signed in before the team that had arrived before them.

In another show, instead of signing the line right after the previous sign-in, they signed towards the bottom of the sign-off sheet. So people who arrived after them left before them.

1 million dollars to win, and they still can't use the sign-off sheet properly.
    Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 08-17-2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

oooohohoho boy... the hooligans struck again this morning. they gonna get their own post. i'll post the saga when i get off work.

Comment

Would I be correct in thinking a visit from Jason would be preferable to this madness?
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth katzklaw View Post
          CA was... an experience. i'm glad i went and saw it... but, no offense to my west coast friends, i'm glad i'm not there anymore.
          Heh. No offense taken. I grew up in the Midwest (downstate Illinois), and I'm glad I live in California now. Even if it is hot and fairly humid right now.

I don't miss the Midwest.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X