• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pokemon Go-playing truck driver kills woman in Japan

It finally happened.

Pokemon Go-playing truck driver kills woman in Japan
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Unfortunately, this was inevitable. Now, if something gets DONE about it...

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
      Unfortunately, this was inevitable. Now, if something gets DONE about it...
      First of I want say this is really sad to hear and I hope the woman's family are handling everything as well as one can.

But is nothing that can be done with out killing off 60 -75% of the human race. It's not the game per say it's people and cellphones. Also Pokemon Go covers its ass way more thoroughly than any other cellphone app or company
      One there are multiple warnings that come up during and after loading warning of situational awareness and safety
      Two there is a screen that pops when you go above a certain speed (I think is about 20 mph but maybe 15 or 10) telling you not to play while driving that you have to acknowledge and click on to continue.
      Three in 6 weeks world wide there has been 1 death. The United States alone has an estimated 330,000 cellphone related car accidents a year with usual around 3000 deaths a year. And that's just the U.S. Until someone compiles the data and compares it with say 2015 that one death, no matter how tragic is just 1 of thousands that will happen this year because people can't wait a few minutes to play with their phones.

Comment

I'd guess, though, that they could still file a civil suit against the truck driver. I don't know the law in Japan, though.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Japan has a very odd legal system indeed. If you've ever played Phoenix Wright... apparently it actually *is* like that, right down to "guilty until proven innocent".

However I also have no idea what specific laws apply here.

Comment

Working...
          X