Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
I don't get people who will hang onto reusable bags until they're literally in tatters and stained with God-knows-what when you can buy a new one for FIFTY CENTS. If you use one fifty times, that's MORE than good enough for the environment.
Up here, if you have the Sobeys reusable bags, they will switch them for you for free. So if your bag is falling apart or otherwise becoming unusable, just mention it (if the cashier doesn't by themselves) and they'll switch for you.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:35 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
Now I used to smoke, for 40 years and by some miracle managed to quit over a year ago. What is he doing that BAGS smell that bad of cigarettes? Smoking with them over his head?
Just being in the same room as a smoker will coat the bags with smoke residue.

For example, my wife's uncle smoked 2-4 packs a day until he died at the age of 86. I have a pair of bookends that sat in his apartment all that time. They were a monk in brownish-red robes sitting and reading a brown book. Except they were dusty. I went to rinse the dust off, the water turned brown and the bookend turned into a monk in a bright red robe reading a green/gold book.

Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 09-13-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Other side of the m0dem

Ok well I didn't smoke that much it was under a pack a day, and towards the latter 20 years it was more outside than in. I love smoking, and I miss it, but I couldn't handle that much....good gravy.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Highly Trained Professional

When my sister moved into her first house her mother-in-law took open a pair of curtains that were left behind from the previous owners. They went into the washer brown and came out orange.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:55 AM
Chairman of the Board

I have a gauzy window panel from my mom's house. It was originally snow-white. It's now a gross greyish-brown ... and that's after being washed once.

I mentioned it to a professional cleaner and she was doubtful they could do much with it.

I will likely launder it a few more times and then take it to another professional (first one has retired ) and tell them to do their best. I've got a swatch of the original material that was locked away in my mother's cedar chest and the difference between the two is actually kinda heart-breaking.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Area Manager

This thread wouldn't be complete without noting what cigarette smoke does to computers and electronics.

https://restorationmasterfinder.com/...r-fire-damage/

Old 09-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Chairman of the Board

Speaking of computers, about 30 years ago I was assigned to an office with a brown screen computer monitor. Yep, the letters on the monitor were brown. The was shortly after smoking in the office was forbidden. I tried washing it, still brown. Then I took a razor blade and scraped the screen. After much effort, I had a lovely bright amber screen monitor.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
Up here, if you have the Sobeys reusable bags, they will switch them for you for free. So if your bag is falling apart or otherwise becoming unusable, just mention it (if the cashier doesn't by themselves) and they'll switch for you.
My old store did that for a week as a promo when the town went plasticless...we all thought that it should be a permanent thing. A lot of customers who rely on public transportation won't buy more than their bags can hold, so if it's falling apart they buy less.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
My old store did that for a week as a promo when the town went plasticless...we all thought that it should be a permanent thing. A lot of customers who rely on public transportation won't buy more than their bags can hold, so if it's falling apart they buy less.
That would be the point where the store (corporate) should consider saying, "Hey, that bag looks like it's had it. Here's a new one for free!" Even if the battered bag is from a different store.

Because now they're carrying around a bag with YOUR logo on it.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:04 PM
Philosophical Tomato

Exactly, and I brought it up in almost that precise way to manglement. Do you think I was listened to? No...

Now, my current store wouldn't do such a thing because our reusable bags are canvas and fancy and relatively expensive...but I could see offering one with a spend of $XXX over the holidays (and/or with a decent-sized catering order).