This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You aren't the supervisor. you're just going to do his job."

Recently, my supervisor was fired.( he actually had a spine and stood up to the manager because he thought it was wrong that we were getting 2 hour shifts. ) for 3 months we were without a supervisor. I took over his workload, having been the person in charge whenever the supervisor went on vacation. I know how to do all the paperwork, and in the period of 3 months, became very good at the job. I applied for the position the day it was made available. My good friend also applied, and another employee, who has, shall we say..a less than perfect work record. he is ALWAYS late. he works 4 other part time jobs, so has little time to devote to this job. after three months, the manager sat me down, and informed me that this particular employee had been given the supervisor job i had wanted, (and up to this point had been performing.) he has NEVER done this job, he had NEVER previously been a supervisor. he SUCKS AT IT. i have been told that i have to do whatever he tells me to in helping him out. I continue to do the supervisor WORK, while he puts his feet up, barks orders, and gets a nice cushy payraise. the entire team hates him. he repeatedly has written up employees, because when he tells them to do his job, they have respectfully reminded him that its HIS job, and they have their own load of work to do. moral has hit bottom. i used to love my job, now i dread it. this guy is on a power trip. he's rude, ignorant, and overall unpleasant. He has threatend the team, and told us if we report him, he can have us fired, since he's best friends with our associate manager. the AM is in the store WAY more often than the actual manager, so she really runs everything. at this point i have no idea what to do. its like walking on eggshells. i can't go over his head or i'll get fired. I'm doing HIS JOB. and MY JOB, and i'm pretty sure putting his HIS NAME on the paperwork that i actually have done, is not legal. I really don't know what to do about this situation. does anyone have any suggestions? I live in a city thats in the top ten citys with highest unemployment rates in the US. getting a job is VERY hard. which is why i haven't simply quit.

2 hour shifts? Wow.

I know where I used to work the labor law was if you were scheduled to work and they sent you home after even as little as ten minutes they had to pay you THREE HOURS worth of wages.

I feel your pain on the responsibilities thing. At "Gamestore" they have a position that is pretty much identical to the Assistant Manager job (in other words, these two people do pretty much exactly the same things at work) but UNLIKE the full time Assistant position does NOT include benefits and the wage is much lower. EXACT same position practically, but radically different compensation.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Personally, I'd get myself fired. Either that or do my best to ensure his failure. But I'm just replaceable like that. I strongly believe your rights to decent treatment and workplace protections don't go away just because the economy is bad, but we all know the world doesn't work like that.

That two-hour shifts thing has got to be against some kind of labor law. It's not even worth it to use up the gas or the time to get to work and back.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You may need to go to HR if the company has one. Pointing out he is ordering people to commit fraud (putting his name on your work may qualify IANAL), not doing the job, and telling people that he doesn't have to do his job and everyone else does or his friend the AM will fire them. If the AM was a decent person (I don't know) I'd consider having a group of people ask her if it is true, she will fire everyone if you don't do Jerk's job for him. If she is decent, she may not know what is going on. People can have an as* for a friend and not realize it if they behave differently with that person.

Comment

Okay this is the passive aggressive side of me coming out, but I would do something like this:
          Put mistakes in the paperwork you do for him. It has his name on it. When the higher-ups ask him about he will either have to look like a dumbass that can't do his job or admit that someone else does it for him.

Comment

If the economy was better, I would say you should get out of there. The company is not worth working for if you would get fired for reporting this. The two hours shifts are also BS.

Definitely need to start looking. Don't forget to let perspective employers know that you have been trained for this position.

Don't try to sabotage his job. That will come back to bite you.

How big is this company? It is obvious that the manager and AM are complacent. The complaint needs to go over their heads, preferably to an HR department. Make an anonymous complaint that this supervisor is threatening to fire anyone that reports him for passing off his work. State that he is creating a hostile work environment.

Harassment thread. Read up.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Without knowing what you do for a job, is it actually necessary for you to do his job? Why not just stop doing it, just blindly stick to your A-to-B's and let him take the fall when everything turns to custard?
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                Don't try to sabotage his job. That will come back to bite you.
                Yep, that can happen. However, there are times that you can get away with it.

Some of you might remember my former co-irker J. J was one of those people who felt like he was everyone's boss, and would act accordingly. As such, the rest of the office couldn't stand him, and several people at the main office...thought he was a prick. Throw in the fact that nobody else could do my job, and I could get away with a lot.

Such as, if he decided to scream at me, I'd take my good old time fixing things. I'd simply remind him that the more he interrupted me to argue (or scream at me), the longer the repairs were going to take. Would he rather have a debate...or go back upstairs to make some money? Since I got paid no matter what sales were, I didn't give a shit. The exception was if my actual boss wanted things fixed. Then I'd jump to it. J? He was nobody's boss and could go fuck himself.

What I'm trying to say is, that unless you can cover your ass, don't bother trying to get someone into trouble. It *will* bite you on the ass. I've seen it happen.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Wow. I'd quit.

Comment

can you go to HR or the labor board?

Comment

I strongly agree. This is a hostile work environment.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I'm gonna say "Labor Board" - STAT! as in do not pass go, do not collect $200.00 - go directly to the labor board - explain EVERYTHING - name names, point fingers, explain that you were covering the position and you suspect Nepotism / favoritism is why the person With NO EXP in the position was promoted...

Do a little research before you meet with them - like look up your state's labor laws, there a a few "flag" words that you will want to make sure you know, and can use correctly - these words will raise "red flags" and make them more inclined to investigate - remember that you want your name left out of the investigation as much as possible - unless volunteered by the company; while retaliation is against the (federal) law, it can be done in much more subtle ways and more difficult to prove....

remember when nailing someone's @$$ to the wall, you'd rather be swinging the hammer, or handing over the nails, you don't want to be caught by the backswing....
                        I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Is AM generally a reasonable person? Because I'd approach both your manager and AM (if you can get them alone together) and explain that you'd like to go back to working the position you are actually paid for. Stress that you no longer want to do supervisory duties without the being properly compensated. SCW needs to take on the responsibilities he is paid for, just because you know how to do something doesn't mean you should.

Just tread lightly, you know the personalities you work with best. It's better to keep things all business, since involving your feelings will taint any argument. SCW may be a tyrant and a douche, but management will just assume your whining. Good luck.
                          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                          X