This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredibly useless training manuals!

I started a new job last week (which I love!), but of course starting a new job comes with all the typical "new job" stuff. This includes having to carefully read through a phonebook sized "training manual" and another smaller, yet still big "procedure manual".

The funny thing is, having been through this before I know exactly how this process works: You spend the first day (or two) reading through the manuals and learning how the job is supposed to be done...

..then you learn how it's ACTUALLY done!

The training manual I just got is waaaaay too wordy. I weep for all the trees that had to sacrifice their lives so it could be printed. Not to mention they make very simple processes sound incredibly confusing and complicated.

Here's an example:

Training manual

When handling a table games box, be sure to write the box number down IMMEDIATELY and include it on all relevant paperwork. Take the box off the rack and lay it flat on the work table. Take two keys and insert them in the latches. Carefully open only ONE latch at a time, opening both at the same time CAN cause problems! Empty the box contents on to the table and CAREFULLY organize it by type (cash, vouchers, chips, etc.). Once emptied, show the empty box to the closest security camera, lock it back up and return it to the rack, being sure to keep the boxes in proper numerical order.

Reality

Take a box off the rack, open it, empty it, close it, put it back. Sort contents as needed. Repeat until all the boxes are done.

I've never really learned much about a job from a training manual or procedure manual. I've mostly used them to refer to when unusual situations come up.

Now I know there's also sorts of legal reasons and whatnot that they have to make every explanation so detailed and so wordy, but it still makes me shake my head every time I have to read one of these things.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

aww come on, they are very useful. They are almost always just the right size to stand on to reach the items on the top shelf!

Comment

Why do i have the scene between Pierce Brosnan's Bond and John Cleese's Q in Die Another Day in my head right about now?
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Now I know there's also sorts of legal reasons and whatnot that they have to make every explanation so detailed and so wordy, but it still makes me shake my head every time I have to read one of these things.
        As the person who writes up most of the procedures for my workplace: Yes. They have to be like that because they have to be written so that if someone came in off the street and was handed the procedure document, they could then go, step by step, and complete the task without any additional help.

Of course, I would totally rewrite that particular procedure, because it's clunky and likely could be streamlined to look less wordy.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          As the person who writes up most of the procedures for my workplace: Yes. They have to be like that because they have to be written so that if someone came in off the street and was handed the procedure document, they could then go, step by step, and complete the task without any additional help.
          I've worked in documentation too and it really is helpful to others when things are spelled out step by step. If you are able to learn quickly by following a document, soon you won't need the document at all anymore. You definitely don't want to get excessively wordy but I like to make sure I've thought of every "what if" question that might occur to the reader.
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

Of course, I would totally rewrite that particular procedure, because it's clunky and likely could be streamlined to look less wordy.

^-.-^
            I agree with this. It's great that you already have a heads up and know the procedures. On the other hand, this new place may do things differently for legal, security, or productivity reasons. On top of that, what if someone they hire is CAPABLE of doing the job, but they can only know once they get ON the job and start working? If they miss a step, they can go back to the manual for directions on how to do a task.

Some tasks require a lot of explanation as to why it must be done that way, or what will happen if it's not done that way. This seems fairly simple, but I'm guessing that someone could not follow rules, get fired, then collect unemployment because something wasn't explained properly or detailed enough in the manual or handbook.

Comment

Working...
            X