This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nature vs. Photoshop

I've just finished spending the last six hours of today rebuilding a photoshop document of a website I'd been working on for a few days.

A really killer storm came in today, and I made sure that my battery backup was working in case the power went out. Well, at one point I believe lightning hit a tree next to the house or something, the light was intensely bright and the thunderclap was instantaneous. Power went out, and I thought everything was good, since the battery backup did kick in.

However, I realized very very quickly that my computer had completely frozen. Its not done this in YEARS. When I restarted my PC, everything seemed to be working fine...until I tried opening the file again. I got multiple errors, and it REFUSED to open it. When I finally did, it was COMPLETELY black. I tried restarting again...same deal. Somehow, the file was destroyed.

What's worse is my whole PC is acting funky now. Photoshop's been opening 40 help windows every time I kick it up, and a couple of my other programs are also acting weird, opening multiple instances of themselves, etc etc.

So yeah. Apparently my whole attempt to circumvent Nature with the battery backup has somehow backlashed on me. Not sure HOW, but arrrrgh. Thank goodness I still had a flattened preview image of the website I'd sent the client...used it to retrace what I did. Still though....six hours rebuilding, that I could've spent doing other things
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Ouch I really feel for you I had that happen on a poster I was designing a couple of weeks back. Lost 2 hours of work. So not quite on the same scale. Do you think the power surge could have travelled down the power lines causing your computer to mess up? I read somewhere once you should unplug computers/tvs etc during storms to stop this happening.
    My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

In all likelyhood, yes. I had thought that with the battery backup (which is supposed to help against these things) I'd be fine. However, if the surge was strong enough, yah, it probably did it. I really didn't expect the storm to get so bad, which is my fault. :<

Comment

In my case, I had my computer completely shut down, turned off, and disconnected from the powerbar right before a massive storm rolled through and wrecked the place. Even with all those precautions, the MOBO got fried from a near-miss that was around ten feet away from my side of the house.

Good thing I have a (8 year old) backup comp until the repairs are complete.

Comment

Maybe your UPS is battery backup only with no surge protection. Don't know if they make just battery only UPS. Or, if it has surge protection, the jolt may just have been too powerful for it.

Comment

EMP from the lightning maybe?
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

If a surge is powerful enough, nothing is going to save your electronics if it comes your way. Basically, surge protection is just added protection, a bit like a lightning rod--not perfect, but the odds swimg more in your favor. I still recommend surge protection, just keep your important stuff backed up on something away from your main equipment.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                If a surge is powerful enough, nothing is going to save your electronics if it comes your way. Basically, surge protection is just added protection, a bit like a lightning rod--not perfect, but the odds swimg more in your favor. I still recommend surge protection, just keep your important stuff backed up on something away from your main equipment.
                I keep my important stuff backed up on a USB flash drive that's attached to my keys just to be safe.

I'll turn off my laptop and unplug if we're expecting a severe storm. Even though I also have a power strip with surge protection, I'd rather be extra careful.

But, if that doesn't help (as in the case that Salted Grump described) perhaps I should consider hiding my laptop under the bedcovers?
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Yeah, it was a double kick in the rump because this weekend I disconnected my drive that I do nightly backups on, in order to clean back behind my desk. I totally forgot to reconnect it.... /derp

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Yeah, it was a double kick in the rump because this weekend I disconnected my drive that I do nightly backups on, in order to clean back behind my desk. I totally forgot to reconnect it.... /derp
                    although keep in mind... if the power surge was strong enough to kill your battery backup, there's also the possibility it would have been strong to fry your backup system too.

in fact... the fact that it wasn't plugged in my have also saved its life

Comment

lightening can and has generated electro-magnetic pulse before. when that happens you'd need a Faraday cage to save anything related to computers.

i keep backup system in such cages back home because of the bad habit my brother used to have about experimenting with extremely high voltage. still does from time to time but he finnaly shielded his workshop.
                      There are only two rules of tactics: never be without a plan, and never rely on it.

Comment

Quoth redleg View Post
                        lightening can and has generated electro-magnetic pulse before. when that happens you'd need a Faraday cage to save anything related to computers.
                        We had a lightning strike directly to the building lightning rod. That would typically be 20,000 amps directly to a wire down to earth. Four feet away from that maybe 20,000 amps was an IBM PC. Was it smoked? No. It did not even blink.

Protection already inside all electronics is so robust as to make an entire lightning strike, only four feet from a IBM (and other office equipment) irrelevant.

When lightning strikes nearby, all car radios, wrist watches, and mobile phones are destroyed? Of course not. When damage happens, current from lightning is found to electrically connect through that appliance. When lightning struck the rod, nobody would have even known those EM fields existed if not for the noise. Direct lightning strikes, properly earthed, cause no damage to nearby electronics. It's the current that causes damage; not assumed fields.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                          although keep in mind... if the power surge was strong enough to kill your battery backup, there's also the possibility it would have been strong to fry your backup system too.

in fact... the fact that it wasn't plugged in my have also saved its life
                          ...Good point. ><

Comment

When you work on a document, do you do a "Save As.." and give it a different name every time? If you keep saving it every so often, but rename it (doc01, doc02, etc), maybe that would help. Then again, if the shock is so much that components, including the hard drive, get fried, you're screwed. Still, what are the odds? Sucks man...

Comment

Working...
                            X