This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staples.

Ok..this is going to be a slight rant, cause even though right now my mind is kinda out to lunch (without me) I was steaming about this.

So I go to staples to fax something..or rather have somebody help me fax something .. since right now I am having trouble doing something simple like type this up (I know..doesn't seem like it..trust me..this is after dozens of revisions). So I go up to the counter to ask for help. I am second in line..nobody behind me .. cool.

I wait (it takes awhile before the other person to get done) and get up to the counter..and the person behind the counter walks away. Ok..they must be going on break. I am ok with that, I will get somebody else's attention. I've been at the 'break time was 20 minutes ago and people have not stopped coming' point before.

While I was waiting to get somebody elses attention (this particular staples has two checkouts but everything is behind ONE desk, so I am just waiting for somebody not on break to come by) another person comes up and stands at the other check out. Employee who I thought was going on break..goes and starts talking to them "How can I help you?" ... I admit .. my jaw dropped.

Now, don't get me wrong, perhaps I should have spoken up when they walked away. Didn't want to be the SC that caused them to not get a break. My mind just ground to a halt for a minute, trying to process what the heck just happened. Before I could recover another associate (just coming from the office area behind said desk) come up and asked if I had been helped..so I got to get done what I wanted..but should I have done something different? Was I in the wrong here, or was this just not right on the check out person's part? Wth just happened?
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Nope, sounds like it was really bizaare & sucky on their part
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Was I in the wrong here
      I can't possibly figure out how you could have done anything wrong period since all you did was stand and wait patiently ... only to be ignored in favor of another customer.

Comment

No, you weren't sucky. There's also nothing wrong in piping up with "I was here first!" as long as you aren't sucky about it. Sometimes you don't see a customer standing in front of you. *shrugs*
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Yeah, I definitely don't think the OP was wrong, but without actually being there it's hard to determine if the employee was sucky or just made a mistake. He may have thought the person he ended up helping was there first, he may have thought someone else was helping the OP, etc.

But definitely a polite "Actually, I was standing here first" is not inappropriate in that situation.

Comment

That is what upset me, there is no way they did not see me, they looked right at me, when there was nobody but me standing there. They started back toward the office..turned around to check something on a copier..and saw the other person standing there. So..no clue. I agree I should have spoke up, but mind fog + a moment left me speechless.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
              That is what upset me, there is no way they did not see me, they looked right at me, when there was nobody but me standing there. They started back toward the office..turned around to check something on a copier..and saw the other person standing there. So..no clue. I agree I should have spoke up, but mind fog + a moment left me speechless.
              It sounds like there is the barest chance they had a series of brain burps ... they looked at you, then *burp* remembered something that needed to be done in the office, turned to go to the office (forgetting to say, "Excuse me for just a minute, please!", and then *burp* saw the other customer and went over to help them.

I've done that sort of thing before -- although never at a job! It's what the phrase "Don't know if I'm coming or going!!" was coined for.

However, I admit that's really a reach.

But whatever it was, it wasn't you.

Comment

Some good points raised here. Even though they did look right at me, may have not 'seen' me. Other things on their mind, etc..or indeed had a brain burp. So I can understand that.

Comment

Mytical, you went invisible. It used to happen to me all the time. I once had a store clerk that I was standing right in front of look over my head and ask, "OK, who's next?" When I spoke up, he looked startled. Now, I'm only about 5'4" tall, but I was literally standing right in front of this man and he wasn't that much taller. No reason for him not to see me.

I've also been known to sit in plain sight in the house and have everybody wandering around going, "I don't know where she went. She's not here."
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That's some superpower you have there! (ok that was meant to quote Mooncat)

But yeah, that's what I was going to say. Invisibility. It's the only possibility.

I would have said something.

Comment

Mooncat, I used to do that as a kid - people would have conversations without even realising I was in the room and be shocked when they realised I was there. One time the youth leader almost forgot that I was in the car and needed taking home before he went home.

I can also apparently send out a "nope, not here to be served as a customer, just here to be in the way, ignore me" to shop staff (and teachers when I was in school).
                      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Mooncat, that makes sense! That would explain how I am able to 'sneak up' on people when I am 6'0" and was 305lbs at one time. Seriously, I would make people jump and ask "Where the heck did you come from!" how somebody can miss me is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                        X