This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth going gaga View Post
    Harsh, I think I'd rather get a homemade present.
    Better than one that smacks of the sentiment I couldn't be bothered and just ran into a shop and got a generic whatever.
    Yeah, but my mom's a bitch who told me I wasn't welcome in her house anymore because I voiced a dissenting opinion in her church.

Quoth Reyneth View Post

My mom loves the scarf I made her. And so do her fellow teachers.
    So guess what I was doing for my mom's presents to give next Christmas? But then I got my mom started - garter stitch w/novelty yarns - so I have time to do more fun things!
    Novelty yarn costs a pretty penny. Five bucks for a 3 ounce skien is the going rate here. I made a nice faux fur/eyelash yarn for someone, she loves it.

I just made a bunch of hats that Christmas since I was short on cash and had yarn to spare. Seriously though, am I out of line for being pissed at her for that (among other things).
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM. Reason: multi-quote

Comment

Your mom doesn't deserve a hand knit item.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
        Your mom doesn't deserve a hand knit item.
        Karma will get her one day.... Hopefully in the form of needing a kidney and me being the only compatable donor.

Comment

My mother used to knit when she was alive. She always made the people pay for the yarn up front, and the rest when she finished.

She made what she called bunting blankets, which was a little blanket for wrapping up a new-born (up to about a year old) in, with a larger blanket attached in the rear, for more wrappage. They were very warm, even during the coldest winter weather. People loved them, and I even bought a few from her for friends who were having a baby.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post

Novelty yarn costs a pretty penny. Five bucks for a 3 ounce skien is the going rate here. I made a nice faux fur/eyelash yarn for someone, she loves it.

I just made a bunch of hats that Christmas since I was short on cash and had yarn to spare. Seriously though, am I out of line for being pissed at her for that (among other things).
            DANG. The yarn we're using for my mom's fellow teachers I scored at $1-2/ball and most of them only need 2 per scarf. MAJOR clearance, but I only buy that stuff when it's on sale even if it's not clearance.

No, you are not out of line. She knew what would hurt, and she made sure to say it to you.

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
              DANG. The yarn we're using for my mom's fellow teachers I scored at $1-2/ball and most of them only need 2 per scarf. MAJOR clearance, but I only buy that stuff when it's on sale even if it's not clearance.

No, you are not out of line. She knew what would hurt, and she made sure to say it to you.
              Sorry if my post mislead, I didn't use the novelty yarn on my mom. Just good old fashioned Red Heart. That runs 2.25 with tax for a 7oz skien. What really sucks is that she pulled me to the side so she has deniability. Oh well, she disowned me for all intents and purposes over the summer.... Kindest thing she ever did.

Quoth Reyneth View Post
              And what's bad is part of the reason I learned to knit, is so I could actually DO gifts during the holidays.
              Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-24-2008, 05:31 PM. Reason: merged

Comment

That sucks...my mom crochets, she's had a lot of practice over the years. She made all of us kids (all five of us!) afghans when we were little, made me a second one because she underestimated how well they'd wear and made mine too small for an adult, and for our 16th birthdays made us each one in a pattern of our choosing. She's made others over the years, for birthdays and weddings...and that's just the afghans. She made baby blankets for my sister and I when we were little, and shawls for us in grade school too. This winter she found some fuzzy yarn she couldn't resist playing with and made scarves for everyone. When I visited home and saw them, she took me to the craft store that night to pick out a color for my own. It's 8' long and soooooo warm...

Maybe it's that my family is so craftsy that I like these kinds of gifts so much, but I'll take a homemade gift from family any time. It's got effort and heart put into it, and is every bit as good as something they could buy in a store. (And often, it's better!)

This thread is kind of making me want to crack open my crafts trunk again...there's a Michael's opening up next to the store I work at in a couple weeks, I have a source of yarn and plastic canvas again...
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                  Seriously though, am I out of line for being pissed at her for that (among other things).
                  Nope. Last year's Christmas (2007), everyone my family gave gifts to got home-made. We just didn't have the cash for anything else. And everyone appreciated the home-made-ness of them.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                    This thread is kind of making me want to crack open my crafts trunk again...there's a Michael's opening up next to the store I work at in a couple weeks, I have a source of yarn and plastic canvas again...
                    A source of yarn and other stuff, and a guaranteed lower bank account!

That's dangerous. The closest I work to any particular craft store is 20 minutes (although there is one with a smaller variety on my way home) and that is bad enough.

Comment

The present that I gave my relatives this past year was handmade lace snowflakes. I've given those to my co-workers, too. Most of them have just ooohed & ahhhed. Those that didn't, aren't getting one next year.
                      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                        I gave up on doing gifts after my mother told me that "homade stuff was cute when you were five. Try to do better next year".
                        That is a mean hearted thing to say and decidedly un-Christian to boot. Maybe next time she comes to visit you should "accidentally" leave your needles out on her chair.

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
                          That is a mean hearted thing to say and decidedly un-Christian to boot. Maybe next time she comes to visit you should "accidentally" leave your needles out on her chair.
                          Ahaha, I wouldn't taint them with her Southern Baptist ass. But she disowned me over the summer.... Kindest thing she ever did.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
                            The present that I gave my relatives this past year was handmade lace snowflakes. I've given those to my co-workers, too. Most of them have just ooohed & ahhhed. Those that didn't, aren't getting one next year.
                            Ok, you can't post that and then not provide pattern info!

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                              I avoid the double ended needles. But you can loosen your stitches by using bigger needles.
                              My problem isn't the size of the needles, it's that stupid connector dealie.
                              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
                                My problem isn't the size of the needles, it's that stupid connector dealie.
                                OH! You mean the circular needle? You just need to avoid pulling. Patience is key.... That and a complete ability to ignore -everything- outside your "bubble". Yes, the bag you pull your yarn from is part of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X