This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth wolfie View Post
    Actually that's worse than putting diesel in a gas vehicle. A gas vehicle with diesel in the tank will run poorly or not at all (depending on the mix) but with no lasting effects. Drain the fuel system and refill with the proper fuel, and you're good to go. Very expensive, since the mixed fuel is classed as hazardous waste.

On many diesel vehicles, the injection pump is lubricated by the fuel. Modern diesel fuel isn't as good a lubricant as the traditional stuff (process that takes out the sulphur also reduces the lubricity), so there's less "headroom" for error. Gasoline acts as a cleaner/degreaser, not a lubricant, so the injection pump is running unlubricated. If you've got straight gas it's not as bad, since the engine won't run on it, so the pump isn't running "dry". A mix of gas and diesel like this guy had is VERY bad - the engine will run (poorly), so the pump will be grinding its guts out.
    I've always heard it the other way round - that diesel into a petrol car will kill it dead, but petrol into a diesel is manageable till you can get it to the garage!

Comment

The only thing I know about diesel's is that, unlike gas engines, if you run out of fuel it takes a LOT of work to get it back in running condition...

Comment

The early US fuel injection systems had the same problem as most of them were diesel systems that were modified to work with a spark engine. The fear of Thor and Mars both was imparted to me of the risk of running my fuel-injected '76 Eldorado out of gasoline.

Comment

Quoth Terza View Post
          I've always heard it the other way round - that diesel into a petrol car will kill it dead, but petrol into a diesel is manageable till you can get it to the garage!
          While it will take a lower proportion of the wrong fuel in the tank to stop a gasoline car, fixing it is usually just flushing out the fuel system and refilling with the right fuel.

A diesel car is more likely to make it to the garage under its own power, trashing a 4-figure part in the process.

Me? If I had to be in that situation, I'd rather pay for a tow than for a diesel injection pump.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
          X