Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just When I decide to do something productive with my spare time...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just When I decide to do something productive with my spare time...

...my work schedule gets flipped around.

As a reminder I am a Nuclear Med tech.

Some crazy things have happened these last few weeks. First, <hospital system> has cut 500 jobs system wide as a cost-cutting manuever. Thankfully, my job was not one of them. However, my boss and a couple of the rad techs got axed. I was quite bummed as I actually liked my boss. Even if you didn't agree with her, she was one of those people you just can't help but smile when you're around her. She'd been with the <hospital system> for many, many years and opened up several departments such as mammography, sleep lab, and MRI at several locations. Most of us feel she really got shafted.

Before Boss left, she extended Nuc Med's schedule from 8 hour days to 10 hour days. NewBoss has changed the schedule back to 8 hour days because the extended hours "aren't catching on." First off, the extended hours have only been in place a couple weeks, so I really don't feel like they've given it much of a chance. But our numbers are down. There are a few reasons for this. One being the state of the economy and people losing insurance coverage whether from employers or COBRA. It is still early enough in the year that those with deductables might not have met them yet and are delaying proceedures.

But the main reason for Nuc Med in particular being slow is the ongoing problems with the reactors we get our isotopes from. The NRU reactor in Canada has been down since last summer and recently the Dutch and South Africa reactors have been down as well. The isotope shortage has gotten so bad that over the past week the pharmacy wasn't sure they'd be getting ANY generators at all. We got lucky and got a small one, but the bulk technitium doses are being held in reserve for emergency lung and GI bleed scans. Thankfully, reactors are expected to start coming back online in the next few weeks (though when the NRU will be back up is anyone's guess), so business should be picking back up.

Since <Jedi's hospital> only has one camera, they only had me working one day a week since the other Nuc tech is full time and I'm PRN. Fair enough. But since NewBoss has switched back to 8 hour days, coworker M is going back to five days a week. Which means I'm losing my Fridays. All is not lost, however, because <other location> has some hours. Actually, lots of hours. All in all, I think I'm getting the better end of the deal since <other location> is a much busier department. At <home location> I might finish for the day by noon or 1pm. <other location> routinely goes until 5pm, and since I'm hourly, that means more muniez for me. Woo!

The downside is I just started volunteering for the local humane society and I'm going to have to switch days around and possibly go to an "as I can" basis instead of having 3 or 4 days of availability. As much as I'm thrilled to be working more and making more money, I love volunteering at the humane society. Animals can be so much easier to deal with than people.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

I'm sorry, hon. But any volunteering you can do is good. Here's hoping you get enough hours to cover your budget.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yeah, it bites when the NRU, PETN, and Safari are all down at the same time.

At least NRU should be up soon.

Unfortunately, most of the isotope reactors are about 40-50 years old and (like me), they don't work so well any more.

With a bit of luck, they might actually get back to work on the MAPLEs eventually.

Hang in there, Jedi - things will get better soon.

B
      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
        With a bit of luck, they might actually get back to work on the MAPLEs eventually.
        I'm not holding my breath on that one.

And we got a phone call this afternoon that something didn't pass QC, so the pharmacy didn't get the generators they were expecting. The shortage is expected to last another week. And we already had our schedule booked to make up for scans we haven't been able to do because of the last shortage. I really have no idea what I'll be walking into tomorrow since it depends on which patients scheduling is able to get ahold of to reschedule. Should be...fun.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
        X