This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more late fees? How about no more Blockbuster

Wow they've finally hit rock bottom. Blockbuster's declaring Chapter 11.

Newsweek has a good article online about it. Wow I remember 20 years ago when they really took off and started buying out all the local video stores in the area except for "The Video Connection", which was owned by Movie Gallery.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/23/t...ockbuster.html

This two weeks after the local clearance swamp was chosen as one of the clearance swamp stores to pilot Blockbuster's answer to redbox. I forget exactly what it's called.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Chapter 11 doesn't necessarily mean they're going away for good, but it certainly isn't a good sign. And given the popularity of Netflix and digital downloads, they probably are on the way out. It's already happened to a number of record store chains, so it's no real surprise that Blockbuster would also fall victim.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Havent they been filing chapter 11 for the last 2 years? BB has been going out of business for a while.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

You got that right when you said it's not a good sign. Yet another piece of bad news about our economy. The next piece that I just found is that this is gonna put yet another 7,500 people out of work (at least).......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39332696...siness-retail/

Comment

The Blockbuster Video store in my town closed down after being there for 16 years! Gonna be replaced with Subway!

Comment

Blockbuster can blame the internet. Why pay to rent movies from a store when I could just rent them online or get free movies online?
              "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
                Blockbuster can blame the internet. Why pay to rent movies from a store when I could just rent them online or get free movies online?
                And get unlimited amounts of movies for cheap too. No surprise that Blockbuster went downhill because of Netflix. There's been quite a bit of Blockbusters that closed in my area...the one by my old house, not sure if and what it would be turned into.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I heard about BlockBuster on the news this afternoon. all of the Hollywood Videos in my area closed over the last 2 years or so.

There is a regional video store that seems (so far) to be doing OK. they are in 18 states (mostly Mid-west and the east coast) and have 6500 employees.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I've been a Blockbuster by mail customer for years. The best was when you could exchange your movies in the store for free (at no additional cost). Too bad that ended quickly and they ended up charging double for that.

Then, my local store closed and was replaced with a vending machine in the Publix next door.

The only reason why I'm still with them is because it would be a pain to transfer 300+ movies to a queue with NetFlix, but I may swap soon.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

You don't have to do that. Get Roku and transfer them to an instant view that way. It is so not a pain. And it will save you an unbelievable amount of money.

I can't even imagine going back to doing it the old way.

Comment

Working...
                      X