Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we first moved to Montpelier, we were living in a small apartment in a woman's house; she had turned the second floor into two apartments with their own outside entrances. I knew someone lived below us and so was pretty quiet; the school was right across the street so if I wanted to horse around I'd call up some friends and we'd go either there or to the park.

For some reason, if we even dropped a magazine on the floor she would be pounding on the ceiling and screeching about us making too much noise (mom thinks that the lady had some preconceived notions about all kids being loud, and we suspect she had some opinions about single parents as well). I think the cops got called once; the officer wound up talking to the landlady about a frivolous call.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

This has been a bad year, because a lot of long time tenants moved out this spring and we've got a whole load of newbies living here. A lot of them are around my age, and really perpetuate the loud drunk college kid neighbor stereotype. Funny thing is, I don't hear Old Bitch or Dumb and Dumber or Psycho Outdoorsan Shut-in bitching about them running around the parking lot screaming at 10 pm, but they still make every effort to make my life hell if I drop something on the floor or have someone over on a weekend night.

The past two weekends, my bf has had to stay at my place, it's the only way we could be together because his grandparents were visiting, and well, you know how old fashioned people are......anyway, I didn't like the idea either because of how my neighbors are.

I don't even feel like sharing all of my neighbor stories. I can't wait to get a place with my bf or a girlfriend this coming spring.

My friend and her husband have some awesome stories about living around old people. Their first place was part of a 4plex, and they didn't realize that there weren't many young people there until it was too late. Every time they'd come home, they'd see their neighbors peeking through the shades at them (they even have their own little rendition of what it looked like, two shades just magically ZIP open) and one time, someone threw a matress into the dumpster they all shared and put the bedframe right next to it, one of the oldies called up the property management company and said that my friend and her husband did it! With no proof whatsoever! Boy were they glad to be the heck out of there. They didn't have parties and hardly had anyone over, walked on eggshells just like I have to do where I live, and they were always complained about.

This friend in particular won't even come over anymore because of how rude my neighbors have been to her, and she never did anything. They just assumed we're up to drinking or trouble. The last time she was here was nearly a year ago, I wanted her to see me in my bridesmaids dress so she could let me know if I needed alterations, anyway, my neighbor Dumber (Dumb's husband) screamed at her to park on the street, when as soon as she left, one of Dumb and Dumber's friends pulled right up into a tenant parking spot.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        So they were outside at 10pm and the first thing they do is call the cops?
        also they had complained ot them in the past, i would have called the cops too.

I agree in the if there kids are always always always playing, there is little to no quiet time then yeah its inconsiderate.

I also agree that since the didn't keep the court on the other side of the yard and thought that moving meant they could ignore the sound ordinance that the cops should be the one handling the stray basket balls.
        Yeah it means the cops have to bring them back to the kids (why do they do that? why no make them come get them) but it saves from having them called to settles a dispute when the basketball family is screaming at the quiet family when they dont hand over their balls and just give them to their lawyer.

Comment

mom's old apartment... the upstairs neighbor had issues... he would get bitchy if anyone made noise in the day and then he'd get his revenge by being noisier at night.

and by "noise during the day" it would mean having visitors who spoke at normal level. having the grandkids over.

also whenever mom went to pee he would go pee in the bathroom too and it was clearly heard. tho that one stopped quickly. something about mom saying loudly "if he does that again i'm going to reach up through the floor and cut it off!"

the replacements weren't much better though. there was some new practice among some of the people... if you disliked the person below you (or if you wanted their apartment) you would harass them by making using up all the hot water. the lady above mom started doing it.. as well as one of the other women on the second floor.

however that one too didn't last long. something about flushing the toilet several times in a row while the hot-water-hogger was in the shower. pretty much it seemed to send the message of "cut it out. i know the game you're playing and i can play back too".

Then more games started. I wish i was making this up but... then one of the ladies in an upstairs apartment got mad because the single mother below her had a crying baby. So she called the cops. The cops arrived - because they had to - and pretty much told the old bitch that there's nothing they can do. It's a baby. It cries.

then mom moved out. the new place still had some shitty people. but thankfully some of the worst have moved out and t he ones who are remaining mom likes or.. has leanred to live around.

Comment

:sigh: Wouldn't it be nice if people would just learn to get along?!

I've had many crappy neighbors. When we were first married, we lived above an old lady who complained about us day and night. She complained that our blender interfered with her TV signal (we didn't even have a blender!), she complained about how loudly we walked (what're we supposed to do, crawl on the ceiling like Spiderman?!), she even came to the door to complain about something I supposedly did. I finally lost it (not my best moment ) and said, "I've had enough of your bitching!" Then she told all the neighbors that I called her a bitch.

In the house we lived in for seven years, we had to deal with people using our garden hose without permission and leaving the water running, people gathering on our front lawn like it was a public park, stealing our flowers, breaking into our cars (stealing my MIL's car) and a crack pipe left on the front lawn.

In the last apartment in Arizona, our downstairs neighbor was a chain smoker, and our entire apartment reeked of his cigarettes.

In the first apartment after we moved here, we had one neighbor who would get drunk late at night and BELLOW at his girlfriend, loud enough to be heard several apartments away, multiple F-words and other obscenities at Volume 11 at 2 AM! My young son did not need to hear that garbage (frankly, neither does anyone else at that hour!)

And in our current place, people have been getting their car windows smashed open. Hasn't happened to our vehicles yet, thank God, but time will tell.

I would gladly trade places with the Swansons. A gaggle of kids playing basketball in their own back yard would be a major improvement over screaming fights and car crimes!
            Last edited by XCashier; 09-28-2010, 05:19 AM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
            X