This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsupportable -- literally

So my co-irker's telling me about this call he got...

Customer: "Hi i was wanting to see if our support contract is still good. I haven't been in the appliance in years and, well, I think we should probably see what's going on in it! haha."

R: "sure. Looks like it expired 750 days ago"

*Cue raucous laughter from the customer* "I guess its about time to renew then!"

Dude's support contract expired almost two years ago!

Uh, yeeeaaahhh, might wanna get on that, like, pronto. I mean sure, our devices are good, but no security system is any good if you don't actually look at it!

Oh, and this customer?

A bank. Hope none of you use a bank with "heart" in its name!
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Well, at least they had a good attitude about it?

Comment

Yeah, but to leave an important piece of your security completely unmonitored for two years? That's... extremely bad. You know what happened to Target when they ignored their security system, outsourced it to India, and then ignored those guys too? Yeah, that.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
        Oh, and this customer?

A bank. Hope none of you use a bank with "heart" in its name!
        or "bleed" for that matter.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
          or "bleed" for that matter.
          No but mine has a stagecoach that AFAIK wasn't affected by such a thing.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Stage coach is a customer.... one I particularly hate. They're one of our "Customer Advocacy" accounts and nothing is ever easy with them.

Comment

I went to make a thread referencing Literally Unsupportable and found I already made a thread about something literally unsupportable.

This is different though, but in some cases, quite literally unsupportable.

My company has a (relatively) new version of our product which runs on Amazon Web Services. It's available for AWS users to provide security for their web applications.

The new version uses AWS's auto-scaling to create and destroy new virtual gateways on the fly, as load demands, which is kinda the whole point of using AWS--to be able to scale with demand, automatically.

There is one slight problem though.

Since the virtual gateways are created, used, and then deleted automatically, what happens when there's a problem with one (or more) of these virtual machines?

If no one thinks to grab logs off it immediately, there's a high chance we won't be able to troubleshoot at all when load dies down and AWS automatically deletes the offending machine.

"We had a problem with one of the gateways, but we didn't get logs, and that gateway no longer exists, so uh, what happened?" - Paraphrased from a customer

Ummmm....

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                Since the virtual gateways are created, used, and then deleted automatically, what happens when there's a problem with one (or more) of these virtual machines?

If no one thinks to grab logs off it immediately, there's a high chance we won't be able to troubleshoot at all when load dies down and AWS automatically deletes the offending machine.

"We had a problem with one of the gateways, but we didn't get logs, and that gateway no longer exists, so uh, what happened?" - Paraphrased from a customer

Ummmm....
                Sounds like someone needs an automated detection and log acquisition tool! Or centralized logging...
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Here's another one for the unsupportable file. This one's not quite as literal, but it might as well be.

We were recently informed that on black friday only (and maybe a few days after), we will provide support for a certain customer, despite that certain customer still using a version of our product that is now something on the order of 6 years old. We are 7 versions ahead--8 if you count the newly-announced version that is so new, practically no one has it yet.

For perspective, we normally only support 3 versions back-- eg, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 = the guy on 1.0's support officially ended 3.0 was released.

We don't even have lab equipment running a version that old anymore. Their version is so old, it even uses a different patching mechanism, and I'm not even sure VMs of that version are available!

Fortunately, I'm off that day.

Comment

Egads....

Even the Post Office doesn't deliver to East Germany anymore, just to humor people .
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I've got a 20 year old windows 3.1 machine controlling my industrial laser welder (via a proprietary software interface). I can't wait for the day it has issues so I stand a halfway chance of getting a stripped down xp box to run it instead. Of course the way my company works i'll wind up with the windows 98 version instead.

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
                        I've got a 20 year old windows 3.1 machine controlling my industrial laser welder (via a proprietary software interface). I can't wait for the day it has issues so I stand a halfway chance of getting a stripped down xp box to run it instead. Of course the way my company works i'll wind up with the windows 98 version instead.
                        Hate to break the news (and your heart), but they found an Altair 8800 with the E.T. game cartridges in the landfill. CP/M and 8" floppies for XMas!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I miss Windows 3.1

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                            I miss Windows 3.1
                            PHOOOOEY

I REALLY miss MS-DOS 6.2. They got that version mostly right after a few bad attempts..
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Well, Windows 3.1 went on top of it, so I had both. I liked a lot of the Windows only games.

Comment

Working...
                              X