This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must they comment on EVERYTHING??

Given the nature of the organization I work for, 90% of our staff are female.

And I never EVER again want to work in an office like this.

Why?

Aside from all the other reasons (insanity of CEO, etc)...they feel the need to comment on every damn thing I wear and eat!!

Say I come in from lunch with a bag from a burger place. "Oh, you got a burger! Was it good? I can't have them on my diet."

It's not that I mind any one comment so much, I just mind the whole constant stream of them!!

The most common one is about my ice-eating habits. I like crunching on ice, and go through a couple of cups of it a day. Our office icemaker is old and doesn't work too well, so by the end of the week, we generally run low on ice. The main users are myself and one of the tech guys. Does the guy get comments on his ice usage? If so, I've never heard it. But anytime I get ice, it's "Oh, Joi's getting her ice again!" "We have a meeting today, do we need to buy ice? Oh no, Joi's here, we'll have to!"

Seriously??? A bag of ice is $3 at the damn store around the corner!! You'd need one for a meeting this late in the week anyway because our machine is crap!! Oh, and did I mention, no-one here even know that the ice dispenser on our machine WORKED until I tried it and got it working!

"Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Mmm ice. I miss it so. (Sensitive teeth and broken fillings...)

I will never understand the female propensity for commenting on other people's habits or looks. I mean, I don't care what youw ear, why should you care? It's not offensive or out of place, leave it alone!

Compliments, though, are always welcome. : p

Comment

I love chewing on ice......Any time I get a drink with ice in it I've chewing on the stuff I developed a taste for it years ago.

I don't think it's a bad thing
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Do what we do...We have an ice maker but we also have a few ice trays to supplement. Of course people will empty those and the ice maker and don't bother to fill the trays...

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          I love chewing on ice......Any time I get a drink with ice in it I've chewing on the stuff I developed a taste for it years ago.

Though I've heard (my mother says) that ice craving can be a symptom of iron deficiency.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Though I've heard (my mother says) that ice craving can be a symptom of iron deficiency.
            I wouldn't be surprised about that for myself...I've had anemia a number of times.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Yes.. yes, they must. It's an inherited gene of nosiness, honed sharp by years of practice from their ancestors, and cannot be silenced. To try and keep silent would break the dam holding back the floodgate of estrogen, and your whole office would be one insane free-for-all zoo. Trust me, it's not pretty.
              Make a list of important things to do today.
              At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
              Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Quoth r2cagle View Post
                To try and keep silent would break the dam holding back the floodgate of estrogen, and your whole office would be one insane free-for-all zoo.
                And that would be different from my office...how?
                "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                  Good point.

I'm basing my observation on the fact that you obviously still have enough sanity to know what is crazy behavior versus normal, rational thoughts.

Just watch out for the little 'gifts' they start leaving you. The more inappropriate they are (perfume that is half-used, makeup already opened, cheap shampoo) the closer they are to the edge of all chaos. At that point, better get to your 'safe' hiding place.
                  Make a list of important things to do today.
                  At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
                  Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Mess with their heads on commenting about the places you carry bags in from. Have, say, a burger place bag, and start bringing out of it pizza, or curry, or anything that you would NOT expect to find at a burger place. Same deal with your local chicken or mexican place. Have the contents be as much at odds with the bag as possible. See if anyone catches on.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I hate to say it but working with men won't help. They do it just as much as women.

But lots of good suggestions here about defusing the situation.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                        Edited to add: I can't stand working with all women.
                        Last edited by Food Lady; 03-12-2010, 03:17 PM.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

If someone whines something like, "I can't have that on my diet," I just say, "Oh, that's really too bad. This place makes the best burgers for miles," and then eat it with joy and relish and pleasure noises.

And follow Kittish's advice. That's an awesome idea.
                          Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                          HR believes the first person in the door
                          Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                          Document everything
                          CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

We had a nacho bar set up for lunch today (because CEO was gone--it was AWESOME). I am a little bit picky about my nachos, so I spread out my chips evenly (i.e., no chip piled directly on another) on my plate.

Someone comments, "Geez, is that all you're gonna get? We've got plenty!"

Leave. Me. ALONE!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post

Its gotta be ice juuuust after you finish the drink though, so it still has the faint flavor of the drink. Too long and its just all melted, room temperature, and thats no fun.

Also, crushed ice is awesome. It is the king of ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X