This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers flirting

This is kind of inspired by another thread in the Sucky Customers forum. I'm curious about everyone's perspective on this and I'm sure we've all at least witnessed some interesting, if not hilarious stories to share.

I personally don't fault a guy for trying. If he gets a clear "no" and keeps persisting, then that's obnoxious, but you never know until you try. Also, as I wear gloves while I'm working, nobody can see my wedding ring, so it's not like they can tell I'm married. If the conversation goes much beyond, "What would you like in your omelet?" and the weather, then it's easy to slip in a casual "my husband" reference".

I recently got my hair cut short so now, instead of a bun, the only way I can restrain my hair is in two tiny pigtails (it won't reach to the middle for one ponytail). I swear, ever since then I have had guys giving me the goofy flirty grin/checking me out/winking. The grin is what really cracks me up to the point it's hard not to grin back and send the wrong signal. Don't want to lead the poor guy on, but he's so darn funny! Nobody had flirted with me in ages, so it really took me off guard. The hilariously ironic thing is every last one of these guys has been the classic, stereotype nerd. Like, he would be cast as the nerdy neighbor guy in a 90s sitcom. Now this is actually cute to me, so my point is not to pick on them. I married an alpha geek who writes code in over 10 languages who you could pick out in his class pictures as being the one most likely to fix everybody's computer. Is there something about a glasses/pigtail combo that is just crazy attractive to nerdy types?

Probably one of the most creative flirts I met while waiting tables years ago at a Chinese restaurant. He and his friends had been asking for directions to various places around town and in the process had told me where they were staying so I could give them better directions - no big deal. When I went to clean up their table later, I found they had taken a toothpick as a paintbrush and used sweet and sour sauce to write "Room 231" on the bottom of a bowl. Um, no. They were probably nice guys, but I'm NOT going to some stranger's hotel room. Points for creativity, though.

Your turn.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

All I have to say is that the pigtail thing appeals to all of them, apparently. I have no idea why. When I wear ponytails to work, one coworker in particular always gives me that big grin. My 65-year-old apt manager likes them, too.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 03-16-2010, 05:23 AM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Personally, I never hit on a woman while she's working.
      Maybe, maybe, if I knew her fairly well, but certainly never someone I'd just met.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

A couple years ago I was working at a scale for semis. This guy gets out of his truck, comes up to the window, and I start filling everything out. He looks at my ring finger, and says with a heavy Russian accent, "You're not married." I say no.

So he says "I'll go take a shower and be waiting for you in the back of my truck, what time do you get off work?"

I explained that even though I wasn't married, I was in a very committed and happy relationship. Probably should've said that when he initally asked if I was married, but I was busy doing his paperwork and not really paying attention to the conversation, just answered him.

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
          So he says "I'll go take a shower and be waiting for you in the back of my truck, what time do you get off work?"
          Whoa! Presuming much?
          The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

At least he's direct and not stammering. You know, confidence is supposed to be a major factor in romantic success and all that...

Ow. Stop hitting me!

Rapscallion

Comment

Just a casual observation, but alot of girls who are into geeky stuff seem to have short hair. Not really sure why. My fiance is a geek and has glasses and pigtails. Just seems to be one of those looks that has come about for some reason.

Comment

Quoth elsporko View Post
                Just a casual observation, but alot of girls who are into geeky stuff seem to have short hair. Not really sure why. My fiance is a geek and has glasses and pigtails. Just seems to be one of those looks that has come about for some reason.
                I always went with the theory that it's a timesaver. The girls don't want to have to spend the time styling it that's expected of girls with long hair, the guys don't want to have to spend the time getting it cut. (I continue my tradition of being just like a guy here, because my hair doesn't behaving if it's short, and braiding it every morning takes less time and money than trying to figure out a way to not look like Alice from Dilbert when my hair is short).

Comment

It's a timesaver.

I react horribly to hair salons - all the chemicals and crap they use - so I have long hair and whenever it's getting dry at the ends or looks straggly there my best friend cuts the ends.

Every day: brush, toss up into a chignon or ponytail or pigtails. Nothing else. Done.

(With the right tools a chignon is easy. Bendy hairpins - strong ones. Then twist like you're going to put the hair into a butterfly clip, fold it behind the hair on one side, and pin it into place with the hairpins.)
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    (With the right tools a chignon is easy. Bendy hairpins - strong ones. Then twist like you're going to put the hair into a butterfly clip, fold it behind the hair on one side, and pin it into place with the hairpins.)
                    Easy, yes, but ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow.

Comment

Don't twist it that far down the base. Give yourself some room to tuck it under into.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        Don't twist it that far down the base. Give yourself some room to tuck it under into.
                        Nah, the problem is that I'm still not very good at washing my hair (I know, I know) so my scalp tends to be tender at the back, and most hair styles require that they be held up by the rest of my hair, and I am very sore in the morning. And cranky in the afternoon.

Comment

I have very heavy hair. A bun or single ponytail is too painful. That's how double ponytails or braids came about, if I have to wear it up. Otherwise, I love having long, tumbling curls, despite the extra care (which really isn't that difficult).
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth incognitocook View Post
                            I recently got my hair cut short so now, instead of a bun, the only way I can restrain my hair is in two tiny pigtails (it won't reach to the middle for one ponytail).
                            Is your hair actually braided, or do you really mean pony tails?

Pig tails and pony tails are different critters and will get completely different reactions.

I have long hair because it's easy. Wash, dry, brush/comb, and you're done.

It's also very, very versatile. I can do a single ponytail, paired ponytails, tiered ponytails, a side ponytail, a topknot. Then I can do all of the above only with braids. Or twists. Or a combination (I used to do 1/3 of the length braided, then 1/3 twisted, then the final 1/3 loose when I was in high school) Or I can do a French braid. Or a bun, or 2 buns, or a chignon. Or I can get creative and do fancier braidwork (did my entire head in tiny braids over the course of a weekend), I can fold the front flat to make bangs (my mom did my hair up like Rachael in Bladerunner for my wedding, and my hair is all the same length. it took her only about half an hour!)

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Pig tails and pony tails are different critters and will get completely different reactions.
                              Around here two ponytails on opposite sides of the head are called pig tails. I seem to recall yet another name for if they were braids, but it's been so long since I was an age where people could get away with them regularly that I've forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X