This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coworker in hospital!!

Last week my colleague and good friend Angelica had some very severe abdominal pain that she probably should have gone to the ER for, but it cleared up before she decided to go.

Then today she was not at work when I got here. It seems the pain came back with a vengeance, and this time she did go to the ER. She's been admitted to the hospital, is on a morphine drip, and may have to have surgery tomorrow. I'm not certain what the problem is, but she may have had a gallbladder attack.

I'm not a happy camper right now. She's a very good friend of mine and my work schedule may not let me go visit her.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Gallbladder is possible, though it seems a little strange this would be the first time she had an attack. Gallstones (which block a duct, resulting in pain and buildup of bile) usually pass, so ending up in the hospital with next-day surgery is worrisome. I wish her well.

The good news is that an extremely high percentage of gallbladder surgeries are laposcopic, which isn't very invasive. Yes it's still surgery and hurts as surgery will, but it's a relatively minor surgery with quick recovery. I was back at regular grocer cashiering duty within a week and without restriction.

Good luck!
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

If her attack was severe enough to require a morphine drip, then it may be more serious than just a GB, though I hope for her sake it is just that (pancreatitis would be a b!tch!!). And I ditto Bainsidhe. Theyre usually in and out and go home and recover quick enough.

Gall attacks are painful..I have them now and again but never have gone to get it checked out. B/c im stupid..

Hope she recovers soon. Hope you can see her soon too, im sure she'd appreciate a friendly face.

Comment

It may be her appendix... which could be removed lapo.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post

I'm not a happy camper right now. She's a very good friend of mine and my work schedule may not let me go visit her.
          Send her some balloons? [the floor may not allow flowers or a plant] It would probably make her feel better to know that people are thinking about her.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

No new info. I texted with her briefly but wanted to let her rest as much as possible.

I'm going to try to visit her tomorrow before work, or Saturday if she can't have visitors tomorrow (still don't know for sure if she's having surgery or not).

And if they allow it, I'll be bringing her some of my Original Famous cookies. I made a special trip to a store that's open late so I could get chocolate and butterscotch chips, and a few other small goodies (cadbury cream egg!) , and a get well card.

Gotta go make the dough so it can chill overnight.

Quoth Sandman View Post
            It may be her appendix... which could be removed lapo.
            I think if it was her appendix, then she'd already have had the surgery. I don't think they wait and decide in the morning for that.
            Last edited by Dips; 03-19-2010, 10:42 AM.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Before you offer the amazing cookies, I'd like to first suggest finding out what's ailing her. If she has her gallbladder removed, high-fat items such as your devilishly delightful cookies may be a poor choice for a few weeks, since she may have...err...an uncomfortable reaction to fatty foods.

Hope she's on the mend soon. Perhaps you can freeze the nommy tasty treats?
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                Before you offer the amazing cookies, I'd like to first suggest finding out what's ailing her. If she has her gallbladder removed, high-fat items such as your devilishly delightful cookies may be a poor choice for a few weeks, since she may have...err...an uncomfortable reaction to fatty foods.

Hope she's on the mend soon. Perhaps you can freeze the nommy tasty treats?
                I'm certainly aware of that, and if she can't take them then, I'll hold on to them until she's able to eat them.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Gallstones suck. I had my gall bladder out last year. The surgery was a bitch, even though I had it done laproscopically; my gall bladder was infected, swollen, and hard to remove, resulting in a larger incision and a lot more pain. However, I feel so much better now. I really hope your friend feels better soon, whatever it is that's causing her trouble. I hate to say that I hope she has to have surgery, but if they can pinpoint whatever the problem is and correct it, she'll be a lot better off.

Lots of hugs for you and her. She'll be okay. Modern medicine can do some amazing things!

Comment

GB is an easy fix - but GD SOB it sure sends out pain when it wants to! You'd think, being an ORGAN, in the middle of the body with barely any pain nervs it would keep quiet...oh nooo /sarc off.

GB attacks are bad. I've had them, had them for a few years until I finally had mine removed about 2 years ago. Thank Deity it's out.

And yes, if it's GB laproscopy/removal, low fat foods but high fiber are her friend. Think veggies, brown rice, broth and protein.
                    If it's pancreatitis, think food no bigger than fist and wait 10 min after that size has been consumed (pancreas gets inflamed, best way to get it happy is to not eat- bowel rest. Afterwards, small meals.)

Good luck to your friend, it sounds like she means a lot to you.

Cutenoob
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Well, I just spent the last 20 minutes or so texting back and forth with her. The good news is that it isn't her gall bladder. The bad news is they dont' know what the problem is. They've got her on a strict liquid diet (damnit, that means no cookies that I just spent two hours baking), and are keeping her for observation until at least tomorrow.

But, she's awake and says she's up for a visit, so I'm gonna hop in the shower and go see her before work.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Give her hugs for the rest of us.

Comment

Well, I spent about 90 minutes talking with her and playing The Price is Right on my iPod touch with her. She's in pretty good spirits and is off the morphine drip and just on Tylenol, which seemed to be enough. Mainly she was restless and itching to get out of there.

I did bring the cookies, even though she isn't allowed to have them. I don't think I've ever seen someone SQUEEEEE with delight quite like that before.

What does frost me is that NONE of her friends came to see her. Her mother, SIL, and cousin stopped by, but I was her only friend/colleague to take the time to go visit her. As of this post, she still hasn't had any other visitors. Some friends she has....
                          Last edited by Dave1982; 03-20-2010, 02:51 AM. Reason: stupid iPhone OS auto-correct.......

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Dave.. if I was in your place. .I would ask her friends "did you know "so-and-so" is in the hospital?". .if they say yes.. point blank and ask them "Why have you not visited them?"

It would make them feel uncomfortable... but that's me.. I'm the kind of person who would call people out on the carpet in these suitations.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                              Dave.. if I was in your place. .I would ask her friends "did you know "so-and-so" is in the hospital?". .if they say yes.. point blank and ask them "Why have you not visited them?"

It would make them feel uncomfortable... but that's me.. I'm the kind of person who would call people out on the carpet in these suitations.
                              Some people cant stomach hospitals...others only go when its dire.

Don't blame them too much,...they may have their reasons..

Or..they could just be lazy...in which case, 'em.

Comment

Working...
                              X