This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Kenzo

Some of you may know, I do dog sitting. Along side that, I also do fostering for dogs. In February I took in a dog. He was a 5 year old pit bull, who's owner was tired of him and told animal control that he was a stray, so they would pick him up (Their AC does not take owner surrenders).

Of course, he was intact. Covered with scars that made it obvious he had been abused. There were circular scars that looked like cigarette burns. He had a metal choke collar embedded in his neck that they had to cut off. His fur was thin and scraggly, and it was obvious that what little food they fed him was crap.

Even with how scared he was, and everything that happened to him, he was nothing but sweet to the staff at the impound. The volunteer who takes pictures of the animals named him Kenzo.

He also was a spitting image of my current dog, Spud. I begged the rescue to take him in, offering to foster him even though I already had a foster dog. So, I took him home and set him up in my spare bedroom. When my husband came home from work, of course he wanted to meet Kenzo. That's when we learned that he was terrified of men. My husband took one step into the guest room, and Kenzo started barking. His tail also glued itself to his stomach and he ran as far away from my husband as he could. When my husband took a couple steps into the room, Kenzo fell to his belly on the floor and peed all over himself.

Husband set out to win Kenzo over, and the process of teaching him how to be a dog again began. Husband took him up into the office with him, set up a kennel so he could hide, and ignored him, occasionally tossing treats in his direction. We had him sleep in a crate in the bedroom so he could be near us/watch us while we were sleeping.

About a month after we took him in, we found his pleasure in life. Tennis balls and tug ropes. When we introduced them to him, he became another dog completely. When we were playing, when he was running, he was free. All of the stress, all of the worry was gone from his face.

Considering he spent the first 5 years of his life tied up in someone's back yard, he was surprisingly good with other dogs.

After 6 months, Kenzo was still with us. Homes for older dogs are hard to come by normally, but toss "pit bull" into the mix, and 6 months or more can go by before you know it. A family came and filled out an application for him, everything went great with the meet and greet, and the home visit, except for one thing. The thought of him leaving ripped my heart into pieces. I was so happy for him, but he had become just as much my baby as Spud. The two of them had become inseparable. They did everything together, and Kenzo took comfort and his lead from Spud. If Spud was okay with a new thing, so was he.

I didn't know how I was going to give him up, but I knew I had to. He had his own family waiting for him. But then it happened. Just a couple days before he was going home with them, they decided against adopting him. It was suddenly not the right time for a dog. After it was sure that they were not going to adopt him, I turned to the rescue and told them he was not going anywhere - he had found his home.

So now, my pack has gained another member. Kenzo is a completely different dog now then he was 8 months ago. He welcomes people into the house with excited barks and tail wags instead of fear. He runs up to strangers, begging them to throw a ball and offering kisses in return. He is a huge momma's boy - he loves my husband but he is my shadow.

(Kenzo is the big brown guy in the back)
    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

I love the pictures of him running and hanging on the rope. You have a very cute pack!! Give them all belly rubs and treats
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

You rock. You just freakin' rock!
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

What a face! I love that one with the rope toy...he looks like he's just lovin' everything!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

He looks so happy and healthy!
          Well, they all do, but it's wonderful to see such a happy face on a rescue dog. I'm guessing that the one at the front in the last photo is Spud? I love his expression, it's like: "I'm handsome and I damn well know it!"
          Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Your dogs are beautiful! Kenzo and Spud look like brothers from another mother! I'm happy you and hubby have Kenzo in your lives! Dogs are wonderful creatures! Congrats!!
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

The rope pic is great... "Wheeeeee!"

The last two pics, the one in the front...the expression on his face is great. He looks like he should be wearing a monocle and a top hat.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh, the pictures! I just want to pet all of them! So glad to hear that things worked out in the end. So sad that bad pet owners have managed to ruin the rep of an entire breed of sweet and loyal dogs. As the mom of a couple of rescues (cats in my case), thank you to both you and your husband for being there for him.

Comment

Wow, great pics!

It's like they only have two expressions: "Whhheeee!" and "Being pit bull r srs bsns!"

Comment

Thank you guys

Don't be fooled by Spud looking suave... he usually looks like this:

I used to be afraid of pit bulls, and now I can't imagine ever living without one in my home. I don't think that I'll ever own anything else. After you get to know their goofy personalities, how hard they bond with you, and how eager to please they are it's hard to turn away from that.
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Spud's sprawled out pix are so cute! Don't get me wrong all the pix are adorable but a sprawled out dog is extremely cute. Especially if it's a bigger dog. :P
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

What a CUTIE! I love pit bulls; there are a few around here who play the 'big and tough' game, but get on their level and they'll happily lick you to death.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                          Thank you guys

Don't be fooled by Spud looking suave... he usually looks like this:
                          I have one similar to that second pic :
                          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-24-2020, 10:46 PM.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You have a really gorgeous pack! They're all adorable and look extremely healthy. You have my compliments; we have 5 cats and are always willing and able to help animals in need, but I think dogs are a lot more work than cats, so to have 5 of them is really admirable.

Pits are great dogs. A couple friends of ours have a pit mix and she's the most friendly, loveable dog you could imagine.

Comment

BookstoreEscapee, he is ADORABLE XD

MaggietheCat, 5 is nothing when I've had up to 24 in the house at one time. Up until I got a second job, I did dog sitting in my home. Christmas time was busy!

But now since I got my awesome new job at a high end pet supply store, I want to devote more time into my guys. This winter we're focusing on basic training for everyone and tackling the few of Kenzo's fear issues that are still here. Then in the spring we'll be putting Callie and Jokes into training classes to become therapy dogs, Spud and Lady into agility classes (Lady may be doing herding as well if we can find one), and Kenzo will be getting into dock diving once he gets some reactive dog training classes under his belt. He's great with dogs in the house, but on leash he still panics. We have been attacked/rushed at by neighborhood dogs about 10 times while on walks, and Kenzo can't handle stress well. So we're getting him into a class they have specially for dogs like him to help us out.

My ultimate goal is that by the end of 2013, every one of my dogs will have their therapy dog certificate, plus some titles in some sport

I'm happy to see so many pittie lovers on the forum! I get a lot of flack IRL when I bring my pups out in public.
                              Pit bull-

Comment

Working...
                              X