This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen...

Sort of liked the trailers for 'Immortals'.

Anyone seen it? Heard one or two reviews were scathing.

Rapscallion

I had to drink an entire root beer to drive the taste of FAILURE from my mouth, if that tells you anything.

I would rather bang Mickey Rourke than watch it again, if that tells you anything. And I know full well that dude is probably a freak in bed, and I still stand by this assertion.

I loved Tarsem's last movie "The Fall" so I was really excited to see what he would do with Greek mythology. But it's not really Greek mythology. It's a mash-up of bits and pieces of different stories, all crammed together in a way that makes no sense. The actors are all phoning it in except for Rourke, and I think he's not even acting, he's just weird and scary in real life. Even Tarsem's splendid visuals are absent or fail pretty hard, except for one or two scenes. The Greek gods' armor looked cheap, if that tells you anything.

I would recommend you watch "The Fall" instead, which has amazing acting, stunning visuals and a wrenching story. But if you want to see this, well, it's your life.

Yes, I was totally disappointed and embittered, why do you ask?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Agreed. It's a pretentious over-hyped dud.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Shame - the trailers were rather tempting. Thanks, all!

Rapscallion

Comment

Went anyway. A mate of mine needed some 'brain turning off' time and it worked perfectly in that regard.

Sure, there are some cheap effects. Breastplates made of rubber, foam weapons in evidence, and every building appeared far too new and clean. There were plot holes you could drive a small bus through and have room for the fleet of battleships coming after it. Several disposable characters were far too one-dimensional after a bit of effort had been made to make them more than disposable characters. The motivations of many people were suspect at best. The whole rallying the troops bit at the wall was ... at best shuddering. The actor who played Zeus looked rather like Orlando Bloom, including the legendary inability to grow a decent moustache.

I still enjoyed it. Thanks to the reviews and thoughts, I sat back, turned my brain off, and relaxed. Therapeutic, not cathartic (as most films tend to be). I'd say I enjoyed the experience more than the film, but I still enjoyed myself.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
          X