X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    as well as Japanese stuff.
    Ever watched the "Muta Scale" match??
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Though it is purely fiction, a old film by the name No Holds Barred is interesting also. ZUES!!!!
      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've been watching wrestling since I was 5... my earliest recollection is watching the British Bulldogs wrestle in Stampede Wrestling.

Anyone else see this video? It's Max Landis (son of director John Landis, plus the guy who wrote the movie "Chronicle") deconstructing pro wrestling.

Warning: some bad language.

And the "Muta Scale" match is amazing. Hiroshi Hase is the greatest wrestler ever... to go into politics.
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Jessie the Body Ventura might have something to say about that. He was a wrestler also before becoming governor. According to him (and since it would have been found out if he lied about during the campaign I believe it) also a ex-navy seal.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
            Ever watched the "Muta Scale" match??
            No, but it's on the list. I'm slowly working my way through 30+ years of Japan stuff going back to the late 1970s. Just recently watched a Pillman/Liger match that was insane, then before a Davey Boy Smith vs. Dynamite Kid (yes, the British Bulldogs) match from I believe 1980 that was incredible.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth PizzaDrone View Post
              Jay 2K Winger - From what I've seen of CHIKARA (admittedly not that much) I already love it. In fact, I might squeeze in a few mentions of it, just because it does some very interesting things to the form with all the inside jokes/slow motion wrestling that goes on. Huge fun, which is mostly what wrestling is about, for me.
              EXACTLY. I watch wrestling to be entertained. A great technical match-up can be good if it's done right, but if there's no story or personality to it, it loses something.

CHIKARA may not always have technical masterpieces, but it more than makes up for it in terms of character and story. Take, for instance, the finals of 2012's King of Trios tournament. Team ROH vs The Spectral Envoy. The Envoy was captained by Chikara original UltraMantis Black, a man who despite being in the company since day one, had never won a title or tournament in it. Team ROH's Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) had won the Chikara tag championship a few months before, and lorded it over everyone. Team ROH had made it through the tournament with trickery and shenanigans as much as actual talent, and nobody wanted to see them win.

In addition, The Spectral Envoy had been assaulted pretty heavily in the quarterfinals by the Batiri and Ophidian, as part of an overarching story the two teams. So the question in the finals was, can the Envoy overcome the odds against them. The match was great, partly because the crowd in attendance (of which I was a part) were heavily into it, chanting constantly for the Envoy, partly to drown out a small, but vocal, section of ROH-supporters. The finish was great, and when the Envoy were declared the winners, it got probably the biggest pop I've ever heard at a CHIKARA show.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

If you could recommend a few CHIKARA things to watch (preferably some stuff I could find on region 2) that would be awesome. If you don't mind that is. I'm finding WWE a little less enjoyable recently because everytime I look at something I think of how it could go in the thesis and I have to have a cut off somewhere haha.

Comment

Quoth PizzaDrone View Post
                  If you could recommend a few CHIKARA things to watch (preferably some stuff I could find on region 2) that would be awesome. If you don't mind that is. I'm finding WWE a little less enjoyable recently because everytime I look at something I think of how it could go in the thesis and I have to have a cut off somewhere haha.
                  CHIKARA's shows are available through Smart Mark Video (dot com), who recently started offering a streaming VOD service, or digital downloads in MP4 format. I've started taking them up on those offers, because it means less physical clutter to deal with. (That the MP4/VOD formats are slightly cheaper also doesn't hurt.)

As for shows, their annual three-night "King of Trios" events are always good to great. I definitely recommend 2011 and 2012's KOT events, and I'd also suggest the following shows:

"High Noon" - Chikara's first iPPV, and the closing show of their 2011 Season, it featured a number of big matches, including a grudge match between Green Ant and Tursas, the blow-off No-DQ Lucha de Apuesta between the Spectral Envoy and the BDK (the Envoy would have to unmask if they lost), and the finals of the "12 Large: Summit" tournament to crown the first Chikara Grand Champion, between Chikara maestro Mike Quackenbush and 'The War King' Eddie Kingston.

"The Thirteenth Hat" - The 2012 Season premiere, a good starting point, it saw some storylines start that are still unfolding today, some quality matches to boot.

"It's How You Play The Game" - From Chikara's Canadian debut weekend, the card was solid top to bottom, and featured a great comedy match between Archibald Peck and Chuck Taylor that really has to be seen.

"Chikarasaurus Rex: How to Hatch a Dinosaur" - Chikara's second iPPV, it had a number of big matches-- a Loser Leaves Town match (Colt Cabana & Mixed Martial Archie vs The Throwbacks), a Lucha de Apuesta Mask-vs-Hair match (Hallowicked vs Tim Donst), a big 10-man tag team war (Kingston, Quackenbush, Jigsaw, & The Colony vs GEKIDO), and a tag-team title match (F.I.S.T. defending vs The Young Bucks)

"Under the Hood" - Chikara's third iPPV, also the 2012 Season Finale. It featured the latest twist in the Chikara-vs-GEKIDO angle (Quack's Team vs Jigsaw's GEKIDO), a Young Lions Cup match (Mr. Touchdown defending vs ACH), another 10-man tag team war (The Spectral Envoy vs Delirious' Dark Army), a tag-team title match (Marty Jannetty & The 1-2-3 Kid challenging), and a Grand Championship match (Tim Donst challenging)

These are just my personal recommendation, and going to the Chikara 101 message board, it's frequent to find newcomers asking for show recommendations, so there's a lot of other suggestions to be found there, and plenty of people to answer questions as well.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Excellent, seems like there's a good bit to be getting on with there. Thank you very much!

Comment

I actually watched a few Chikara matches on YouTube today. Considering maybe buying one of their DVDs.

Those guys look like they're maybe "cruiserweights", but man, can they put on a show! Some of the stuff they do is amazing, and innovative.

Some GREAT moves, great style of wrestling. Some interesting characters, too.

The comedy that's built in isn't bad, either. First time I saw the "slow-mo" in a match I was

Good stuff. Gonna recommend it to my cousin, who is a BIG WWE fan.
                      Last edited by mjr; 02-25-2013, 09:41 PM.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        I actually watched a few Chikara matches on YouTube today. Considering maybe buying one of their DVDs.

Those guys look like they're maybe "cruiserweights", but man, can they put on a show! Some of the stuff they do is amazing, and innovative.

Some GREAT moves, great style of wrestling. Some interesting characters, too.

The comedy that's built in isn't bad, either. First time I saw the "slow-mo" in a match I was

Good stuff. Gonna recommend it to my cousin, who is a BIG WWE fan.
                        Here's the thing--

A lot of indie wrestlers are probably going to be "cruiserweight" sized. Chikara has quite a few, yes, and their style of wrestling is heavily influenced by lucha libre. (One of Mike Quackenbush's maestros and frequent guest stars for Chikara was Mexican star Jorge 'Skayde' Rivera, until they had a pretty nasty falling out back in 2010.)

I've never gone to a Chikara show and NOT been entertained. They've started expanding their touring radius this year, going to a number of different locations. Prior to this year, Chikara was heavily Northeast-based, running mostly in Pennsylvania, New England, and the occasional Midwest show. This year, they're doing shows in Florida, Georgia, North/South Dakota, Minnesota, and Southern California.

Some of the best parts of Chikara can be when the fans play along with the fun, whether that's chanting in slow motion to go with the action ("THIIIIS. IIIIS. AWWWWE. SOMMME. (clap. clap. clap-clap-clap.)") or acting utterly shocked by an obvious plot twist.

For an example of that latter part, take a clip from 2010. Shane Matthews & Scott 'Jagged' Parker, then known as 2.0, were fan-favorites for their antics, but never won a match. Then, a pair of "identical twin" brother bikers, The Badd Boyz, turned up, and started whupping butt. The Badd Boyz are a gimmick that 2.0 use in another company, Inter Species Wrestling, but are very much NSFW there. Fans all know the Badd Boyz are 2.0 in both companies, but the Badd Boyz in ISW repeatedly deny it and threaten to kill 2.0 if they ever see them.

Anyway, in that clip, then-Director of Fun Dieter VonSteigerwalt was not amused by all this, and booked a 'Loser Leaves Chikara' match between 2.0 and the Badd Boyz. The Badd Boyz came out, but 2.0 didn't, so they won by forfeit... until...

The fans helped MAKE that moment that much more awesome by acting completely shocked by it.

EDIT-- You know what? I think I'll create a separate thread so I can gush about my love for Chikara, and explain some of the characters and storylines and whatnot.
                        Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X