X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Samaliel View Post
    Are you talking about DTTV ?
    Yeah - DTV here (well, what it's called depends on the region I think). Basically, all TV stations are being legally required to broadcast only in digital. Which means that to watch TV you must:

1) Have cable
    2) Have a digital TV
    3) Buy a digital converter box
    4) get a digital antenna (what my parents in the boondocks did)

The government is handing out coupons ($40 US, I believe) for us poor folk to go out and get a digital converter box. And I'm sure all of the good clerks at electronics stores are having a ball with that one.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get a box or get cable when I move. My TV is something like 13 years old and I love it - don't want to get a new one. It's just frustrating.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
      Personally, I'd love the option of a la carting cable channels. I really don't need all the sports channels they want to give us, and I'd like to add a few that I can't get without another package adding in.
      Same here. I went through the other day and counted and realized that I don't watch half of the channels I get. Mainly the religious and Spanish stations. Love to get rid of those and add BBC America.

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      I *heart* my rabbit ears. I can watch pretty much everything I have time for, and I don't pay a blessed dime. I get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW, and a few random channels like QVC, CW, and the Spanish one. woo-hoo
      But, see, I have this slight addiction to the Food Network? In fact, it's on right now!
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
        Yeah - DTV here (well, what it's called depends on the region I think). Basically, all TV stations are being legally required to broadcast only in digital. Which means that to watch TV you must:

1) Have cable
        2) Have a digital TV
        3) Buy a digital converter box
        4) get a digital antenna (what my parents in the boondocks did)

The government is handing out coupons ($40 US, I believe) for us poor folk to go out and get a digital converter box. And I'm sure all of the good clerks at electronics stores are having a ball with that one.

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get a box or get cable when I move. My TV is something like 13 years old and I love it - don't want to get a new one. It's just frustrating.
        I understand. Most ISP here will provide a digital converter box with a small hard drive (20 or 40 GB, can't remember) and digital recording ability (not quite as great as TiVo, but nice enough) that can also work as a WLAN FTP server.

And here, DTTV goes by the catchy name of TNT (for Télévision Numérique Terrestre).
        "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
        X