This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing well... by doing nothing

The call actually began with a lot of promise...

Caller: I need to delete my wife.

Okay... but things immediately hit bottom and never again attempted to rise.

Me: Exactly what do you mean?
    Caller: What I'm trying to do is... whenever I go to... but then, it always... like now, I went to... but then when I... I keep getting... but I should... okay, let me try this... no, that didn't... see, I need to... but... well, anyway...

And on and on and on... I was just along for the ride... five minutes... ten minutes...

Caller: ... okay, I just... but then... no, look, that worked! Thanks!
    Me: Cool. Anything else I can help you with?
    Caller: No, you did great. If I have any more problems, I'll give you a call.
    Me: That's what we're here for.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

When I worked as a computer programmer we would use colleagues as MAUDs. (Mobile Assistant for Unassisted Debugging)

You call the colleague over, state the problem, and half way through explaining how the program works you would shout "Damn, that's where the problem is"

No matter how many times you tried the find the error solo, it was always easier to find it when you spoke to someone else, with the rider that the more they said to try to help, the longer it took to find the error. It worked best if they said nothing, just stood there and listened...

Comment

I've done that, most recent that I can remember, I was trying to figure out why a remote display was not lighting up when a unit when into alarm. While talking to a co-worker over the phone, I realized that they way it was wired up, it would only work in full-alarm, not test mode like I had been trying to use. Told my CW "thanks for listening to me babble while I figured this out!"

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post

You call the colleague over, state the problem, and half way through explaining how the program works you would shout "Damn, that's where the problem is"
        I do that ALL the time. I'd get frustrated and go to someone, "I can't figure this out, I'm trying to do x, y, z and every time x and y hapen but not- *click* damnit. Nevermind."

Well, I used to because the problems I usually run into are program related, not programming lanugage related and I'm the only person that knows a damn thing about the code I'm working on, I have to talk to myself. I think I frighten the people in the cubes around me.

Comment

Quoth Bagga View Post
          I do believe every programmer does this... At least I know I did.
          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Yep, even my Dad does this, but the funny thing is, I don't know the first thing about programming. But he will call me on the phone and tell me all about his project etc, etc, he's having this problem and he can't get A to do B, AHA, thanks for listening I got it, and hang up.
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I get this too. They call and say Blanks not working, I do this and then that and then Oh wait.....yeah its working now...thanks!
              "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                I do believe every programmer does this... At least I know I did.
                Not just every programmer, but everybody who works with code I don't consider myself a programmer (although I do find programming interesting), but have wound up taking a bunch of programming courses through school. I know that I've done it on several occasions.

A close cousin to this: Showing someone else your code, and as you're explaining what it does, realizing: "Hey. If I did this a different way instead, I could do it better and more efficiently."
                "Sir... sir... diagnosing computer problems over the phone is like diagnosing brain cancer with a pointy stick"
                -ahanix1989, inspired by bash.org

Comment

Quoth Aressel View Post

A close cousin to this: Showing someone else your code, and as you're explaining what it does, realizing: "Hey. If I did this a different way instead, I could do it better and more efficiently."
                  Mhhmmm... the only problem with that is often by that point, it's too late to change anything. My "I coulda done this better and more efficiently" epiphanies tend to revolve around the entire architecture of the code, but by the time I realize that brillaintly simple and elegant way to do something, I'd essentially have to start from scratch.

Comment

When I was learning BASIC, I had to have the teacher come over quite often. I'd explain the problem out to her, and then, while explaining it, I'd find that STUPID FREAKING COMMA!!!!

:: beats up commas ::
                    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

My wife and I do this for non-technical stuff. "Dear, stop what you're doing. I need to talk at you for a bit." This doesn't require any talking back, mind you, just having someone you know could give a response if it was needed.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                        When I was learning BASIC, I had to have the teacher come over quite often. I'd explain the problem out to her, and then, while explaining it, I'd find that STUPID FREAKING COMMA!!!!

:: beats up commas ::

The semicolon was always the bane of my programming classes.
                        I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Ah, must be similar to closed elements in HTML
                          "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Typical situation:

Me=Me
                            HD=Help Desk

Me: Hi, I'm having a problem with __________, I'm on a deadline and there's something wrong.
                            HD: Okay, have you . . .
                            Me: Oh, wait, found it. Never mind (in Emily Litella voice).
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I know it's something stupid...

I have that same thing happen all the time as well.

I've got a problem, I call the UC (unit coordinator, aka person-who-answers-my-questions) and it goes like this.

Me: "I hate to bother you, I know I'm missing something stupid, but I'm missing it nonetheless." -then I explain the problem.

UC: "Ok, so let me pull it up here and take a look at it..."

Me: "Oh. Um. Yep, it was something stupid. Nevermind ^-^"

Comment

Working...
                              X