This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The non-syncing camera

This lady and her husband/boyfriend/pimp comes to our counter, she is relatively polite but at the same time I sense a little impatience on her part. Might I add that her and her company reeked like petrulli oil, which I believe is worse than skunk odor.

She states that her camera is no longer uploading pictures to her computer and explains that the software program that accompanies the camera is probably to blame. She then produces this 3 year old P.O.S. digital camera that has been dropped several times and asks me if I can figure her out dilemma for her.

As I always try to be obligatory I state that it will be difficult to pinpoint the problem without the computer but that we could certainly try to sync it up with our tech unit. At that point she exclaims while shaking her head:

"thats why I am here, I need you to tell me whats wrong with my computer, why cant you do that now?" I stated:

"ma'am, it is very difficult to diagnose the problem without the other half of the equation, the computer, but I will certainly take a peek."

She then turned her side to me, threw up her hand and said:

"fine, do what you can".

So I plugged this POS junker of a camera into our computer with the proprietary usb cord she provided and waited for Windows to alert me that a new device had been plugged in, after a few seconds it was clear that the camera was not syncing with my computer. So I let her know that it was either the cord that was causing the problem or the interface input on the camera.

At this point she asked me why I couldn't tell her with certainty which one it was, I told her that if she were to purchase a new cable we could test out the new cable and come to an almost certain conclusion as to what would be causing the issue. After stating that the camera was purchased at that particular store she wondered aloud "why do I have to buy the cord, you sold me the camera?". I wish I had said "1st of all 'I' did not sell you this camera, judging by its appearance I would guess that Jesus sold it to you a millennium ago." Instead I asked her how old it was, she stated it had been bought 2 years ago, I explained our policy for not honoring warranties a year after they expire. She got a little a upset and started debating the return policies if the cable didn't work, why we could'nt just pull one off the shelf and try it, why I didn't have one she could try. After about 5 minutes of pointless chatter she asked me where the cables were. I pointed to the back of the store and she went to go get it.

About 5 minutes later she returned to states that we don't have cables like the one she needed, I explained that she could order one from a web site or she could shop around town, (at this point I can taste the petrulli oil coming off these people). After that she asked what she should do if it didn't work, I explained that she could bring the entire computer down and we could look at it and figure it out from there, meanwhile customers are piling up behind her so I looked behind her to tell the gentleman who had come up that I would be right with him, at this point she exclaimed "Hey! I am a customer too!" I should have said "Two years ago you were a customer, now you are a petrulli sponge that isn't willing to spend a penny and has consumed 20 minutes of my life that I will never get back, just because you come into this store doesn't not make you a customer". Instead of saying that I quickly recapped my previous statements and instructions for her, at this point she recapped her previous statements and inquiries and we successfully went round and round like this for 5 more minutes. Finally I said,

"ma'am, thats really all I can do for you without the computer"

She replied

"Thats why I am here! (SIGH) I need you to tell me whats wrong with my computer"

At this point I am very impatient and I raised my voice:

"Wheres your computer?! Do you have it with you?! NO. Go get a new cable to figure it out or bring the entire CPU into us and pay to have us look at it! Next!"

She ended up complaining to my boss but my impeccable customer service record and the fact that I am the supervisor helped save my arse. I did pay by smelling petrulli all day long after that.

She does have a $20 solution though - get a card reader. Plugs into USB, bypasses camera entirely. Much quicker, too.

But I'm sure she wouldn't want to hear of anything other than fixing her computer while it's still at her house.

Comment

Yes, this was the abbreviated version, I left out that we had discussed pulling her pics off for $30, having a camera shop do it for $5 or to buy a $20 card reader, her missions was to figure out what went wrong so she could point a finger.

Comment

yick, I'm assuming you mean patchouli oil..... *shudder* that stuff reeks.
        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Instantly reminded of this
          http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20070207.jpg
          Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Working...
          X