This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which I introduce myself to the forums and share the wonders of my night

First of all, Hi, newbie here who recently stumbled on the site, and have thus fallen in love with the forums.

Now, I WAS going to go on about some of the general customer types I get working at a college bookstore, but tonight was hell. So, yes, I'm sharing the joys from tonight.

Now, we're in the middle of summer sessions, so it's a shorter turnaround time, and as a result, we've shortened the return dates. We're not going to give people a month to return books, when the classes themselves only last a month. Now, we've had people come in past the refund date (this last friday) and attempt to return books. We can't give them their money, but we offer to exchange it for the correct book if they have it. If they don't they can sell the textbooks back because we buy books back year round.

Here's hoping I've set the stage so far. On to tonight!

Episode 1
    So, I had a gentlemen come in, saying he wanted to sell some books back. I agree to help him, go through the process, and upon first glance at the books, I see they look to be water damaged. I don't know how bad they are, so I have to look through them to see if they have any resell value. I'm thumbing through them and that's when I see the stains.

And the smell...

Someone (or something?) had urinated on the books. On all four of them.

After doing the "icky stinky shudder dance" I inform the guy we can't take his books back. They're too damaged. He starts screaming at me that I'm a liar, they're not damaged and I'm gonna take his G**D*** books and give him some F****** money because he did everything he was supposed to.

Manager came and talked to the guy while I ran to the bathroom to scrub my hands. And arms. And face for good measure. I don't know how Manager got him out of the store, but he did. And I Lysoled all of the counters, and febreezed the area for good measure. I swore I could still smell those books.

Episode 2
    After the incident at the textbook counter, I had to cover the registers for the rest of the night until we closed. Now, we also offer, as an auxiliary service, an old copy machine for people to make copies on. They make their copies, we count them, and they pay at the registers when they're done. About 2 hours before we're supposed to close, a guy comes in, says he needs some copies and I direct him to the machine.

After making his copies, he tries to walk out without paying. I managed to get the copies before he does, and inform him, he has to pay. That's the policy. I had his copies in hand, and he was arguing with me, and I told him if he couldn't pay, we'd follow procedure and shred them at the end of the day.

Guy then proceeds to get in my face, rambling about how I didn't know how a woman should treat a real man, and he deserved better treatment. Not only that he was a customer, and my customer service sucked. Now, I had to give him his S**t and let him go. (This was a local bum, mind you, who reeked, didn't know what hygiene meant, and had hit me up for money in the Wendy's parking lot earlier today, without realizing it, by the way.)

While he's ranting, I've discreetly called my manager up to the registers because I don't get paid enough to deal with this kind of psycho BS. Manager comes up, opens his mouth to ask what's going on, while Guy is still babbling about my needing to learn how to treat real men.

The rant hits its peak with him screaming "NOW AIN'T I A REAL MAN, B*TCH?!" As he proceeds to drop trow and flash his dangly bits at me.

Ye gods, the image is STILL seared into my brain!!

Manager instructs me to call police, and informs Guy he's not allowed in the store again. Ever. Police come, take my statement, say they'll drive around the neighborhood and ask for a description to go by. I describe what he's wearing and mention he's probably easily identified by the face he didn't take time to tuck everything back in before he stormed out.

Petty of me, but I hope he got caught in his zipper.

All together now. I love retail.

No, really.

Anyone have any tequila. Mental floss? Anything!?!

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
    The Customers Suck! brand of brain bleach has been known to work Hollywood-style miracles.

Welcome to CustomersSuck!
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
      The Customers Suck! brand of brain bleach has been known to work Hollywood-style miracles.

Welcome to CustomersSuck!
      Thanks and thanks. I'd like to order two gallons, please...

Comment

Okay, I just got through this, "ewwwww" and "why mysty barfed".

Glurb. I'm going somewhere else for a little while now.

Comment

Any man showing is private parts when not solicited asks to get kicked in the groin, if you ask me. Reminds me of a very funny joke about two nuns and a stalker.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Thanks and thanks. I'd like to order two gallons, please...
            Only two gallons? When working in the retail business two gallons will barely last the day. At least, for me anyways.
            "But I don't want to be among mad people."
            You can't help that. We're all mad here. Every fucking one of us.

Comment

I am thankful I've never had a guy be that stupid to me. If a guy showed me his parts I would be forced to beat the snot out of him, bum or not.
              I think your going to need at least a bathtub full of brain bleach there lupo.
              "It's not what your doing so much as the idiotic way your doing it." Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7.

Comment

What you just let him go without using your boot to play carol of the bells.

Comment

The rant hits its peak with him screaming "NOW AIN'T I A REAL MAN, B*TCH?!" As he proceeds to drop trow and flash his dangly bits at me.
                  If I had enough presence of mind at that moment, I might have said something along the lines of, "I'm afraid the jury is still out on that one."

Physical violence hurts, but nothing stings right under the skin like a good slam.

I used to have people bring back books that were not in returnable condition all of the time, assuming that just because they had a receipt that meant a free ticket to money eternally. Um, no.

Unfortunately, some of my coworkers thought the same about books they borrowed on 'library loan' (a program in the store to take a book home to read for two weeks, that allowed workers a better grasp on what we carried). They were usually worse for being petulant about paying for the item if it was damaged. "But you're my friend!" Yeah, and you're mine, so why are you trying to get me in trouble with corporate for letting that crap slide?
                  "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Oh Dear Sweet Baby Jesus! You poor poor thing!

I swear anyone in customer service needs to be issues a Men In Black style "Flashy thing"

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                      If I had enough presence of mind at that moment, I might have said something along the lines of, "I'm afraid the jury is still out on that one."
                      I wouldn't even be that charitable.

"BWAHAHAHAHAHA! That small, huh? You must be pretty brave or have no self-consciousness to show off your shortcomings like that!"

And then I'd tell him to pull up his damn pants and get the hell out.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Petty of me, but I hope he got caught in his zipper.

-----<SNIP>------

I got some vodka....and plenty of it, with some . The twain shall erase thy mind. I don't think it's petty of you to hope he gets it caught in his zipper, but it would've been nice to see him scream like a girl when that happens. Welcome to Customers Suck!
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Oh man! A cup of hot coffee would've come in really handy at that moment.
                          "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

lol

love all the comments guys, thanks!

I WAS keeping a running commentary in the back of my head, but didn't really want to agitate the flummoxing flasher.

It was along the lines of "Real man? Debatable, since I've seen guinea pigs that are bigger" or something to that extent.

As for the requiring more brain bleach. Yes, yes I do. But alas that I'm a poor college student and don't have the funds to order more. Y'all take IOUs...?

And thanks for the welcomes!

Comment

Quoth Wicked_Lexi View Post
                              Oh Dear Sweet Baby Jesus! You poor poor thing!

I swear anyone in customer service needs to be issues a Men In Black style "Flashy thing"
                              For us or the customers?
                              Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                              --Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X