Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's just a storm, don't crap your pants.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the coolest thing I ever heard was when I was mountain biking along a dirt road that went over a small hilly ridge in the Philippines. My friend and I knew it was likely it would rain. Usually in the rainy season it rains about 1 hour before sunset. We were on the way back to our lodgings and crossing this ridge when we heard something I had never heard before. It was almost a quiet hissing .............................. ssssssssssssssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

What we heard was the approaching downpour coming up from behind. It looked like an approaching wall of water. I mean first it was dry. Then, in 30 seconds we go from no rain to raindrops 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. We were at the top of this little ridge (about 50 ft. high) on a dirt road with huge potholes (3-4 inches deep and 3-6 feet in diameter) and about a mile and a half from our lodgings. We were soaked to the bone before we got 300 ft.

All the potholes were filled within 1 minute of the start of the rain. Our shoes, feet and legs got soaked because we were pedaling through the potholes. The rain soaked our clothes and our backpacks and it was still raining that hard when we got to the house we were staying at. The funny thing was that it was WARM. So we got this bright idea to take a shower in the water cascading off the roof (no, not naked!! For guys, you leave your shorts on and then just soap up the rest of your body. If you're determined enough to take a full shower you just soap up your shorts too without removing them.)

I know I couldn't take that type of shower in the rain in the US. I'd catch a cold or die of hypothermia. It's fun to be able to say that I was able to take a shower in the rain. Though when the lightning started, we went inside.
    Last edited by Brightglaive; 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM.
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

You know, there once (during the early 90's, I think) was a commercial for a shower gel that went just like that. Somewhere tropical, it's hot. People sitting and lying around, crushed by the heat. Then someone starts to lightly bang a shower gel bottle against a wooden railing and then it rains and they all take a shower under the rain.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        Join the club . . .
        *joins the club too*

I used to STUDY the Weather Channel, and get spastic over something I figured out about weather patterns when I was young(er?). I still insist on watching the really awesome thunderstorms come in from the balcony (and ramble on about my take on how the storm's going to act), which panics my boyfriend.

Back On-Topic...

I seriously don't know why people panic so much about "supplies" and storms... if you're honestly in a bad way, ask a neighbor for a couple things if you can't get to the store. I guess this panic is lumped into the same boat as "OMG I don't know how to drive anymore 'cause it's snowing/raining/cloudy-and-going-to-do-either!". Blargh.
        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

We've had some doozies around here lately. I like to watch it on the local news as well. They'll stop all programming for as long as the storm is within a 50 west of us. If it has cleared the area I live in, they continue reporting on it until it gets about 75 miles east of us in Iowa. Pretty much, they follow it into and out of the viewing area.

The other night, we had a whooper descend on us in a matter of moments. It was clear and sunny. I was at the gym. Before I got into the sauna, I watched the tv for a moment. They said it was a dangerous storm and just to the west of us. They showed all the rotation, lightening strikes, hail areas, etc. Storms usually move really slow around here. This particular one was still about 35 or so miles out. I figured I had plenty of time to sit in the sauna for about 10 minutes and shower before it hit. I was SO wrong.

I did my ten in the sauna and when I got out - the skies to the immediate west were pitch black. It was incredible. I got in the shower and could faintly hear that the sirens were going off. So, rushing through my shower, I was shaving and took a HUGE knick out of my knee! NOT GOOD! So, I get out, I'm bleeding, every woman that was in the gym was now in the locker room - I don't mind that - it was just REALLY crowded. I'm trying to rush to get dressed and some guy yells in "hope everyone is decent!" As if he were to be coming in and all the women yell "NO!" it was quite comical!

But, that storm had 100 MPH winds, hail, "wind bursts" - like tornadoes I guess but just short down bursts of wind, there was two unconfirmed touchdowns, flooding, power outages...It was in and out in 15 minutes. The storm itself was moving at 60 MPH carrying 100 MPH winds. I REALLY wish I could've seen more of it.

I'm one of the weird ones, the sirens go off and I run to the windows to try to see something.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Of all the storms I've seen around Pittsburgh the past 32 years...only twice have I been *not* able to get out.

Once was when I was in preschool...waaaay back in '79. So much snow, very little was moving...not even Mom's VW station wagon. A proper VW...with the engine in the rear She took that home, and picked me up with the sled. Other than that, and that it was nearly dark, I don't remember much. Well, other than playing in the snow the next few days, and having to leave my toy firetruck at the school until the roads cleared.

Second time was in the early 1990s. 3-feet-plus of snow meant we couldn't get off our street Just about everything was stuck--no cars, no bus service, nothing. Ended up getting a week off of school! Even then though, we weren't stuck--plenty of food, and if we needed something...one of the paper-route wagons got its tires wrapped with chains. With the stake body, carrying food home was no problem. Getting it to actually *stop* was another story--with the ice, it was impossible to use the handbrake, so I just tied it off. You haven't lived until you've had a Radio-Flyer wagon follow you down a hill sideways...

Even when I was living at my grandmother's farm, I don't remember being stuck. Sure, we got a crapload of snow most years, but I could still get out...mainly because she lived along a highway and had several mines in the area. Even the back roads were usually clear. The neighbors came down with a truck and tractor to clear her driveways. Still, driving around was always interesting--most people can't drive worth a damn down there
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
              But, that storm had 100 MPH winds, hail, "wind bursts" - like tornadoes I guess but just short down bursts of wind, there was two unconfirmed touchdowns, flooding, power outages...It was in and out in 15 minutes. The storm itself was moving at 60 MPH carrying 100 MPH winds. I REALLY wish I could've seen more of it.

I'm one of the weird ones, the sirens go off and I run to the windows to try to see something.
              The Boss and I watched it from the bar (celebrating my raise). It went from nice, to uhhhh...what's going on, to pitch black to "Hey, wasn't that tree just standing there? Wow, it ripped right out of the lawn." Flat out amazing to watch how it came in!

Of course I wasn't happy trying to/when I got home. Our street looked (still kindof) like a disaster zone with all the mature trees we had. LOL My dear friend had her Crown Vic go for a um...swim down the block. I'd have paid to see that.

Oh and while the satellite was still up, it was freeken cool as heck to watch develop!! I cannot believe how fast and intense it all was!
              Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Quoth Lil Bunny View Post
                The Boss and I watched it from the bar (celebrating my raise). It went from nice, to uhhhh...what's going on, to pitch black to "Hey, wasn't that tree just standing there? Wow, it ripped right out of the lawn." Flat out amazing to watch how it came in! ...Oh and while the satellite was still up, it was freeken cool as heck to watch develop!! I cannot believe how fast and intense it all was!
                We caught the tail bit of that storm. It was quiet, then *krakowBOOM* and the heavens opened up and POURED rain. I looked out my balcony, and I couldn't see the house across the street - it was raining so hard. 15 minutes later it was finished. Luckily, we just got rain and lightning.
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                X