This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Question

Yes, Outlook. It's what work uses, so no sideways into how much it does/doesn't suck.

There is a helper function in Outlook that suggests the names of people when you start typing them into the To: line. Outlook learns it over time, and it is unique to the computer you are using it on. Anyone know if there is a way to port that file, and if so, where I might find it to move it?

High-bossman needs a new PC, but doesn't want to part with that, or rebuild it. Not a work-stoppage, but it might save my ear some whinging in meetings.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

I believe that's usually compiled from the contacts and the emails in outlook, so if you export his contacts, and then move over all his emails manually, it should take care of it. It's easier if the emails aren't stored locally, but on a network location, as it'll actually have to load the emails in when he checks the folder for the first time to cache a local copy.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

im fairly certain that BJ is right, i think you can export his contacts and pst file and port the helper function. ill check with my resident outlook guru to confirm.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Look for the User folder (Documents and Settings\User), Local Application Data, Microsoft. I'm not sure how portable it is, but I am pretty sure the data is in there.

Comment

It is portable but I don't know which file it is, but it's in one of these two folders:

Documents and Settings /(Login or user name) / Local Settings / Application Data / Microsoft / Outlook

--or--

Documents and Settings / (Longin or username) / Application Data / Microsoft / Outlook

I know it is not a .ost (local copy of the network folder), .pst (personal folder), or .pab (personal address book).

This thing is also usually cached. As they send emails to people it builds up a list and it will eventually get built. It stays local on the machine so when they go to a different PC, it won't be there until it is built (or copied).
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

This is an *.nk2 file...do a search for that on the old PC. I think it lives in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook - so just move it into that folder on the new PC.

Comment

The path for the name-completion file is:
              c:\documents and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook and it's an NK2 file.

Copy this, paste in corresponding new computer folder (same path) and you're all good.

This file is totally separate from .pst files etc.

If you're building a new box, install office etc.
              Have user log in once to create profile.
              Have both machines on network, in same domain.
              Open a window on the new box in c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook
              Open a window on the new box AGAIN and navigate to the old computer via Windows explorer : \\oldpc c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook
              Have the windows side by side, and pick the .PST files and drag them over.
              Make sure that the user is no longer logged in and adding junk to the Outlook files!!!!!!
              Do the same thing as above for the N2K file.

You will be set up!

cutenoob
              Last edited by Der Cute; 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM. Reason: adding more info
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
              X