Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be shopping for a new laptop soon and am hoping I can still buy a new one with XP. I have a ton of graphic programs and 3D applications that I cannot afford to replace simply to appease a new os.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Comment

Will Vista be the new Windows ME? I've only played around with a beta copy of Vista, so I'm waiting awhile to get my hands on the official release. Of course I never had much trouble with Windows ME, so I never formed the bad opinion of it that others have.

Comment

My dad just got Vista and while he is not a OS X fan he agrees that it's a blatant rip-off and it's not as smooth as OS X. (Yes I'm a Mac geek also.) While my dad is a wizard at computers and can figure out problems without calling tech support, he says that those who aren't too good with computers are going to be frustrated.

As for it being a copy of Mac, I messed around with Vista and can say that it's clunky and until they smooth the bugs out there will be some very pissed off techs.
        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

My son was all excited about it, and last time we were at Circuit City, he was playing with it on one of the display machines, telling me it was "So cool!"

But the more we played around with it, the more we agreed that it was all eye candy and no substance, and that it certainly wasn't worth the outrageous cost of the software, or of the new hardware we'd most likely need.

In the end, we agreed it was "Another ME."

I'll hold onto XP for awhile longer, maybe even until the next Windows comes out. Unless the next one blows just as badly as this one.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I think Vista will be a great success once they take it out of beta.

Rapscallion

Comment

Speaking of unusually long beta periods...

We've had Longhorn/Vista in house for years. We are under NDA and can't go into details, but there were some early features and proposed features that were giving our developers nightmares. I guess we weren't the only ones because they aren't in the final product.

We're kind of banking on our customer base's traditional frugality while the kinks get worked out of Vista.

Our main problem is going to be the customers who are forced to buy a new computer to replace their Win95 machine which finally went to computer heaven. They are going to call us expecting we can help them get the 1998 all-floppy-disk version of our software onto their Vista laptop (which won't have a floppy drive) without their having to spend any money buying an update. And their justification for that will be that they already spent a lot of money somewhere else replacing the computer, therefore we can't expect them to spend money with us replacing the software.

The fact that we wouldn't be there to help them at all if we don't make money never crosses their minds.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Well, I've finally gotten used to the Vista machine I just bought, and I can't say it's that terrible. My only real issue with it is the IE7, and that isn't really a problem with Vista itself. It took a bit of noodling to get some of my games to work, but after figuring out how to set them up to run as XP SP2 and have them run as by administrator, things are working pretty well.

One thing I do need to do is find out how to set specific programs so the security just lets them through to the Internet without asking every time. It's not really that annoying, certainly not as bad as that snootty Mac commercial would have you believe.

I did get rid of the gadget bar on the desktop. I like an uncluttered desktop, and keep my icons down to one column on the side.

Long story short: I don't think this will be another ME, and I don't think it is just a graphical upgrade. Things definately work different here, and mostly behind the scenes. It is a very different layout (and I don't agree with some of the placement, but I can move them around if needed), so will take some getting used to. I think that may be alot of people's main complaint. In the long run, I think this will be the working model for the next bit.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong*

* Internet cookies to those who get the reference.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  It took a bit of noodling to get some of my games to work, but after figuring out how to set them up to run as XP SP2 and have them run as by administrator, things are working pretty well.
                  Isn't that turning off the "security" for that application?
                  One thing I do need to do is find out how to set specific programs so the security just lets them through to the Internet without asking every time.
                  I've had that feature since Win95. I still have that feature on my current computer. My firewall does that (I use a different one than what comes with the OS). If Microsoft had added a much better firewall with the SP2, there would be no need for Vista
                  I did get rid of the gadget bar on the desktop.
                  That is a theft from MacX
                  I like an uncluttered desktop, and keep my icons down to one column on the side.
                  strangely enough, me too. However my parents love to have all kinds of "shortcuts/alias" on the desktop.
                  Things definately work different here, and mostly behind the scenes.
                  That the biggest problem, because it works differently behind the scenes. There going to be problems down the road.

From Win3.0 to WinXP, the function hooks used were the same. Microsoft made a point to leave it in there so that older programs can run without major issues. Meanwhile newer ones stop using those hooks. This is why you can pull up most win3.0 programs and it will work on XP. Now that Vista is built from the ground up (if we to believe that), those old hooks aren't there anymore.

I understand why Microsoft is doing this. Not too many people at Microsoft now are from those days. And there are too many "programmers" coming out of school with no clue as to how it was done in those days. They have to build a new OS so they can build and improve it. I just wish they been honest with everyone and said "This is not Windows anymore."
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

One thing I do need to do is find out how to set specific programs so the security just lets them through to the Internet without asking every time. It's not really that annoying, certainly not as bad as that snootty Mac commercial would have you believe.
                    Best take I've seen on those commercials...
                    http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20060815

Rapscallion

Comment

Parents just upgraded to a new computer. If it had one Gb of ram, it would be better than mine *wince*

Well, apart from the graphics. It's got onboard graphics (I'll have to see what grade they are).

So far, it's pretty, but it's still installing. I may let you know more when I have more to report, or if you bug me.

EDITNOTE - it's actually supposed to have 1Gb, but currently claiming 768. Hmmm...

Rapscallion
                      Last edited by Rapscallion; 03-25-2007, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Raps

Sounds like shared ram as it's got on board graphics. That's a trick usually reserved for, and expected on, laptops.
                        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Mmm - adding a decent video card will probably negate warranty etc. Bugger.

Problem is, to get around that, I'd need to take it back to PC World (it seemed like a reasonable price at the time).

The installation so far...

Reasonably painless, only requiring one forced reboot. It failed to burn the first recovery CD-ROM, but since it gave me really bad grammar in the error message I was more miffed at that than anything else. Also, it was the ACER message, not Vista, that caused the grammatial faux pas. I'm trying to get it recognising the Internet. Now I have the correct device driver (49Mb for a USB adapter!), I should be able to get that going properly, but it's a bit of an arse so far.

Rapscallion

Comment

After trying to get the wireless connection working with the correct drivers for both Vista and the equipment, I've come to the conclusion that Vista is about as stable as a caffeinated, twelve-tailed cat in a room full of perpetual-motion rocking chairs.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Mmm - adding a decent video card will probably negate warranty etc. Bugger.
                              It shouldn't negqate the warranty, unless they're total asses. Adding any sort of card should be an upgrade performable by the user without warranty.

What model computer is it?
                              ludo ergo sum

Comment

Theres a warranty strip helping to keep the case closed...

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                                X