X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Ray Bradbury

Dead at age 91.

Thank you, sir, for writing some of the only required reading I actually enjoyed in school.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

RIP Ray Bradbury

It was announced this morning that Ray Bradbury passed away last night, at the age of 91.

He was one of the two most influential authors in my life. Reading his works changed my life profoundly, and made me look at the world differently. I got to see him in Pasadena once, at the opening of a play based on some of his stories. Even though he was mostly deaf and wheelchair-bound, he could still captivate an audience with his words.

Rest in peace, sir. The world is darker now that you have gone.
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

OMG no! I hadn't heard that!

He was such an amazing writer.

Comment

I just found out. I am weeping. . .

Comment

There's an article and guestbook on Boston.com (it's on the front page right now).

His stories were among the first 'real' books I ever read (now I want to get them out of storage). I was once thisclose >.< to meeting him in person but some non-emergency came up that I was told I had to deal with.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

What?

watching f*** me, ray bradbury in tribute.
            (obviously NSFW)
            Last edited by PepperElf; 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Once an author was doing research for his novel. He called a fire station.

"At what temperature do books burn?" he asked.

The fireman put him on hold for a moment. When he came back, he said, "451 degrees fahrenheit."

In a way Bradbury invented writing for me; before I found him I liked to read, but had no idea that words could weave magic spells. He is the man who inspired me to write. I had the incredible honor of meeting once, about 13 years ago, and my signed copy of "Something Wicked" is one of my most prized possessions. My husband called me today to tell me the news. I was at the museum with my kid so I didn't cry, but my throat hurt pretty badly for a while.

Edit: I am annoyed that CNN's headline is "Sci-fi legend Ray Bradbury dies". Bradbury himself said he wrote only one work of SF. The rest is fantasy, horror, science fantasy, dystopian. But I don't expect much from CNN anymore.

Edit 2: My most prized possession:

Last edited by Ree; 06-07-2012, 10:37 AM.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Aww, I loved his stories. I need to get back to reading.

Comment

Ray Bradbury is supposed to live forever! Oh, what a gift we had in him.

Comment

They've been telling that story on NPR today: Mr. Electrico and "Live forever!".

Well...isn't he?
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Ray Bradbury was one of my favorite writers when I was in high school. I read and reread Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, The Martian Chronicles, etc. The man knew how to tell a story, with relatable people and believable situations.

RIP, Mr. Bradbury. Your works will live forever.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                        Ray Bradbury is supposed to live forever! Oh, what a gift we had in him.
                        Ah, but he will.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"
                        (Terry Pratchett)
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

...and now Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury, a master of science fiction whose imaginative and lyrical evocations of the future reflected both the optimism and the anxieties of his own postwar America, died on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/bo...pagewanted=all

Comment

Working...
                          X