This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone help

Idk if this is the right place but nothing ventured..... My cheap phone has a really weak signal in my home. If I'm really lucky, I'll get a single bar. My friends super expensive phone get one or two. What will help the signal? I've asked my provider, they don't know why it's not getting more. I dont know much about phone accessories. Ive heard of a cell phone signal machine that helps, is that really really true? Pls help. Ty.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

In my (limited) experience, the most important factor is the provider itself/their network of cell phone towers, assuming that the phones are reasonably comparable (e.g., yours isn't six or ten years older). If you're both using the same provider, then yeah, that points to the phone itself as the issue.

Some things which could affect the signal itself:

Do you live in a house with outer walls made of brick or something similar? Check and see if the signal suddenly gets stronger when you step outside.

Walk around the same areas (with both phones) and see if there are "hot" and "cold" spots on your property, both inside and out. It could be that you're right at the limit of the closest tower(s), and you may end up discovering an area where you'll always get a strong signal.

-----------

As for the person at their office -- Unlikely that they really know for sure; those big coverage maps in the ads are an abstraction at best. There's no way to know precisely how strong a signal will be without going there in person and measuring it in detail. If the area in general has a crap signal and you own your place, you may be able to get them to install a tower on your property if local zoning codes (and the neighbors, if applicable) allow for it. If so, they pay you monthly for the privilege, based on how many calls get routed through that tower.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I've never used a cell booster myself, but I have seen them. There are two flavors - a repeater, and a femtocell. I think you have to get the femtocell from your provider and they call them by different names - usually a signal booster. It requires a broadband internet connection. It lets the cell phone connect to the cell network via your internet. The repeater is more common. With these you place an antenna in a part of the home (usually outside) where the cell signal is strongest, and the connected base unit transmits that signal indoors.

Comment

If you're going to consider making calls over wi-fi, buy a handset that has that has a wi-fi calling feature built in. There also apps available that will allow this using an existing handset.

Comment

Working...
        X