This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer swaps

I've recently been deemed the Voicemail Administrator. Go me. The only things this really means for me is now I have two bosses and a lot more work to do.

Well, the helpdesk boss decided that, despite the fact that we're rolling out a new voicemail system, that he needed me to get busy pushing out the new computers. I have about 50 of them to do. Financial Services, he said, was a priority. Since I've been feeling bad since the vertigo, I decided the best thing I could do for myself is to push out all 10 of their computers at once. So I gathered up two of the work study kiddies, grabbed the person that knew the software they used, and got them all set up in a matter of hours.

The next morning, the calls start coming in. The stupid printers didn't install themselves. So I was installing local printers. Then they needed a part of a program which we didn't automatically push out. Then the two special scanners needed to be installed. Then one of the scanners didn't work.

Of course, everyone there just ASSUMED I knew all the magic programs they needed to survive. So no one told me anything of what I needed to do differently. Bossman didn't say anything about me setting up all 10 at one time.

I left that afternoon with a day 1 of a migraine that I'm on day 4 of now.

I get in today, and bossman tears into me. "This wasn't done, and this wasn't done, and how could you NOT install this piece of software?" That special piece of software... I don't know where it's stored, I don't have any connection to that whatsoever, but I'm supposed to know where it is to fix it. WTF?

Ugh. It makes my head hurt.

Jenni
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Ugh. This is why you need to have a standard form something along the lines of "Your computer is going to change. Please indicate what special software or accessory needs you require."

Comment

That's the fun part! I already have that form, with almost that exact line on it! I ask for their network login, their password, what printers they're connected to, what programs they need, and where they backed up their files.

Luckily, the directions for listing their printers are easy, so I usually get that, and the network login info. So I spend a lot of time backing up files, and figuring out not only what software they need, but who has that software.

Ugh.

Jenni

Comment

I've done similar things and I also use those forms. If they forget to put something down I flat out tell them it's their fault and use the form they submitted and later signed off on.
        Those forms are some of the best CYA you can get.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems that Jenni's place subscribes to the philosophy of "I don't care who's fault this is, it's absolutely required, get it done NOW" with no consequences to the fault-ee.

Comment

As usual, users have no clue about what they use
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang
              Unfortunately, it seems that Jenni's place subscribes to the philosophy of "I don't care who's fault this is, it's absolutely required, get it done NOW" with no consequences to the fault-ee.
              Pretty much. Like the software that gives students an allowance of how many pages they can print. Once they run out, they head down to the cashiers window and get money added. Once upon a time, I was shown how to add money. Not where the software lived, or anything, just how to get into the server and give or remove money from student accounts.

I get jumped because this software isn't installed. I had already informed the person who showed me the program once upon a time.. but that's never good enough.

ARG.

Jenni

Comment

Working...
              X