This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with overseas tech support

after reading a few things you guys posted, I remember a call I put in to tech support once, and it was obviously to an overseas line. it was a few years ago, but it went something like this:

call in progress after I explain the problem
    TS: Ok, close everything. Is everything closed?
    Me: Yes.
    TS: Ok, in the lower left hand corner of your screen there is a button that says Start on it, do you see it?
    Me (slightly in disbelief that I'm being asked this): ...Yes.
    TS: Ok, click on it.
    Me: Ok.
    TS: Now a menu should have opened, and there is something on it that says My Computer, do you see it?
    Me (laughing a little): Yes.
    TS: Ok, click on it.
    Me: Ok.
    TS: Now there should be something that says Control Panel, do you see it?
    Me: Um. Yes.
    YS: Click on it twice.
    Me: Ok, really, I'm not that good with computers, but you could have told me five minutes ago to open the control panel, alright?
    TS: Ok.
    Me: Now, please, tell me the overall idea of what you want me to do.
    TS: Ok, close everything, is everything closed?
    ME: Yes.
    TS: Ok, there should be a button on the lower left hand corner of your screen labeled Start, do you see it?

that went on for about ten more minutes, and every time I tried to interject, she'd tell me to start everything over again (hey, kind of like a really old computer needing to restart after things get too complicated), then I hung up, blew off some steam, and got back in the queue.

Ooooo....That sounds like it hurt to listen to.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

In those cases, I just go along with it. Usually they're kind enough to give you an idea of what they want you to do. If not, I zen out. It's a great way to get a mini cat nap.

Jenni
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Heh. I thought this thread was about providing tech support to overseas customers, which is something I do.

My all-time favorite was a guy in Beruit who spoke no English. He had his friend call and translate for him. It was fun because the translator was using a cell phone with a crappy signal and had to shout back and forth in Arabic to the user in the next room. I guess there was no signal in the room where the computer was - sort of like a bizarre version of the relay service deaf people use for phone calls.

The customer was very polite. Patience and good manners on both sides got the problem solved. It just took a while.

It was still painful, though.
        Last edited by Dips; 07-24-2006, 09:03 PM.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

In most cases, the workers will be penalized if they fail to follow the script to the letter though, so I understand that but what I don't understand is why all OEMs assume the caller is an idiot? Yes, some are , but some (like me) are calling for parents/clients because they want me to even if it's something I could fix in 5 minutes (I can tell my dad a fix, get harped at that he'd rather call support, support tells him the exact same thing and whaddaya know it works).

I'm sure calls would go much smoother for all involved if in the script was a question along the lines of "how experienced with computers are you?" (sort of what some software installs ask).

Half the time the issue du jour (mainly with my parents' PCs, as mine is a homebrew and I know it inside out) is beyond the standard script, yet it can be figured out using the information they give me.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I think they should ask you do to something (i.e. "Please open control panel for me") and then ask you if you need help with that.

Of course some LUSERS would get insulted by that question but they would save so much more time. That's why when I contact support I first tell them what I've tried (it's easier with the online chatting now) and then I follow what they say.

Again, of course some people just call as soon as they have a problem. They don't even stop to think about it. We get a lot of calls for support in the store. If it takes more than 5 minutes of my time on the phone, you're bringing your computer in and that's that. (I make a point of stressing "CALL THE MANUFACTURER FOR ANY PROBLEMS INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE/HARDWARE, NOT US (THE STORE)" every time I sell something to someone)
            "They have the internet on computers now?"
            ~Homer Simpson

Another day at work, another broken desk

Comment

A couple of years ago when I was calling to get my HP Pavilion shipped out for repair, I spent a good five minutes explaining to the lady how to spell my mom's first name:

S......U......E

Comment

I don't really have problems with tech support once I get a live human. When my Dell laptop conked out I spent over 3 hours trying on the phone and taked to a person maybe 10-15 minutes. Even worse I kept getting disconnected and have to wade through ever thing again. My throat was sore from screaming "live operator" "human being" and "customer service" over and over again.
                Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

I tried to order stuff for cheap from a computer wholesaler off of pricewatch. Spent 40 minutes on hold and finaly got someone in who knows where who can speak about 4 words of english and the worst attempt at an "American" Accent. I spent mabee 2 minutes putting up with that and went back onto pricewatch and went with the one that had a better service rating. Cost me an extra $20 on a $200 buy, but I could understand the person on the other end and I would be sure I would be getting what I wanted and not whatever they punched into the machine on their end.
                  "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

I had a problem with an indian call cenre (an no it wasn't an indian working in an australian call centre, this cell company is known for using indian labour)
                    I brought one of those 3rd generation cell phones on pre-paid, because big brother was streaming live house pictures to the phone. (any aussie knows the company now) i purchised the content pack - i think it was $6 a month for all the ringtones, wallpapers and live streaming you want. However, when i viewed the live streaming i was being charged for it - it was something like 50 cents per 5 mins or something. now when you think it's unlimited, it quickly adds up.
                    i called the cell company's help desk and spent 2 weeks arguing with them, and they ended up refusing to give me telephone contact details of anyone in australia. they did give me a postal address which i used to find the company in the white pages. i called them, put in a complaint and got a $40 credit (i didn't ask for) and the problem fixed within 48 hours.

Comment

Quoth Comp_geek
                      That's why when I contact support I first tell them what I've tried (it's easier with the online chatting now) and then I follow what they say.
                      I've tried that multiple times before and it hasn't work yet, I think Dreamstalker has it right. If they don't follow the exact script, then they might be penalized. Take my broken 650. I know what's wrong with it, in fact I do tech support on them every day I work. Yet, when I called Palm's repair line I was treated like a Ludite even though I told them how I tried to figure out if it was hardware or software (unfortunately it was hardware ), but they still wanted me to do a hard reset and start it all from scratch. She had to go through the script even though I told her the exact problem after I had tested everything out. I even told her I worked on the PDAs and she still had to go through with it. It's enough to make a grown man cry...
                      Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

Working...
                      X