This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is how you get nothing

BG: I still have a landline. It is an OLD phone that does not "do" caller ID. My ISP is bundled with my phone and offers an answering service, so I almost always let the answering service pick up when the phone rings.

Today, stupidly, I decided to answer the phone. Got one or two calls where my "Hello?" was answered with nothing, which (if I"m not mistaken) means the number has been robo-called and they are now scrambling frantically to get a live person on the line. I hang up quickly.

Then comes a call with a live person already on the other end. She's called from [Charity] and starts into her spiel. I listen patiently and when she (of course) asks for a donation, I tell her I can't donate right now.

She asks for a small donation ($35 or so) right now.

I repeat that I can't donate anything right now but if she sends me something via snail mail, I will donate as soon as possible.

Her: "I know you weren't expecting this call today but we could reallllly use some help ..."

What part of what I just said are you not getting??

Me: "I CANNOT DONATE RIGHT NOW. Thank you."

*click*

I then hunted up the website of [Charity] and let them know what had happened and that, as a result, they would be getting nothing at all from me, adding that perhaps they should reconsider the training their fundraisers/telemarketers are given.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

They’re probably trained to push for an immediate donation if you ask for them to send something in the mail - a lot of people use “send me paperwork and I’ll do it later” as a reasonably polite way of getting them off the line without refusing outright, and then just bin the envelope when it arrives, so charity callers tend to regard that answer as a soft no.

Comment

Sounds to me like she has a script, and that she handled it *exactly* the way they wanted her to x.x
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have no doubt you're both right, but I wonder how many other potential donors this script pisses off to the point where they donate nothing. A different charity sent me the requested info and I will be sending them a cheque in the next few days.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          I have no doubt you're both right, but I wonder how many other potential donors this script pisses off to the point where they donate nothing.
          That happened to a friend of mine awhile back. She used to donate to PBS because she believes in the value of educational programming. She gave what she could, when she could but one year things got a little tight so she made a smaller donation than usual, but at least she was still giving them something.

Apparently they didn't see it that way. They called her and asked her to make a larger donation, which strikes me as rude. I was always told that if someone gives you a gift, you show gratitude and not complain. She told them that was all she could afford that year, and she thought that was the end of it. Then they started sending her a newsletter that she didn't ask for, and later tried to guilt-trip her over the cost of the newsletters they were sending her, when she never asked for them in the first place.

Like I said, my friend used to donate to PBS.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I was always told that if someone gives you a gift, you show gratitude and not complain.
            This. And that right there is why using marketing technology to extract donations backfires in the long term -- even if you managed to bully someone into donating this time, they'll remember, and they will not think of you well.

Comment

Interestingly, I got a reply email from [Charity]:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with regards to your call.

We do use a third party to contact people on our behalf. They do go through a training program and are required to follow a script. However, you have a valid point - the caller should have just taken your mailing information in order to send you information in the mail and thanked you for your time.

All calls are recorded for training purposes. If you would provide your phone number I can pass this along to our tele-fundraising supervisor so they can review the call.

Also, if you would like me to remove your phone number from our calling list I will do so on receipt of your number.

If there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to let me know.

I was startled not only to get a response, but also by the response I got. I haven't responded yet because I haven't yet decided what to say.
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                Interestingly, I got a reply email from [Charity]:

*snip*

I was startled not only to get a response, but also by the response I got. I haven't responded yet because I haven't yet decided what to say.
                Something along the lines of:

Thank you for your reply. Please could you remove my number (phone number) from your calling list.

I understand that your fundraisers are trying to get as much money for you as possible in these trying times, however they also have to balance that with public perception; by being so overly pushy with me they not only tarnished your reputation with me, but also everyone I discussed this with when I was venting my irritation.

Some people called do use the request to get paperwork mailed to them as a soft no, however there are also people like me who your callers catch in the wrong part of the month who would like to donate but don't have the funds at this precise moment. Please remind your callers of this fact in the next training cycle.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Something along the lines of:

Thank you for your reply. Please could you remove my number (phone number) from your calling list.

I understand that your fundraisers are trying to get as much money for you as possible in these trying times, however they also have to balance that with public perception; by being so overly pushy with me they not only tarnished your reputation with me, but also everyone I discussed this with when I was venting my irritation.

Some people called do use the request to get paperwork mailed to them as a soft no, however there are also people like me who your callers catch in the wrong part of the month who would like to donate but don't have the funds at this precise moment. Please remind your callers of this fact in the next training cycle.
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                  X