Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But, I want to talk with somone else (LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But, I want to talk with somone else (LONG)

But I want to speak with somone else (So I can waste their time)

Ok, so a bit of small background on this one before I actually get into the call. (This is a long one by the way)

I work in a call center for a prepaid cellular provider and one of our gimmicks is that you do not have to sign a contract when you sign up. In fact, you don't have to provide any personal information at all. Anyhow, this leaves us open to a whole world of problems when it comes to account security as we have nothing to verify other than the phone number and a 4 digit account pin which no one ever remembers. Our absolute last resort, which I use as my first resort, is to verify the phones Electronic Serial Number (ESN). For those non-cellular savvy types, the ESN is a unique identifier code assigned to all cellular phones (some use a newer one called an MEID, but the idea is the same) – Essentially bottom line this is our only line of account security.

So my first call of the day yesterday went a little something like this.

Me: - You've read other stories here right.... (my thoughts in parenthesis)
    SC: Yeah you get the drill

Me: Thank you for calling brand cellular my name is Chanlin how can I help you?

SC: Yeah, I need you to tell me the ESN number on my phone (don't you love how people always double up, essentially she just asked me for her electronic serial number number....)

Me: Actually, we use that as a form of security verification, so no I can't just tell you what number we have on file, but if you would like I can check the ESN you have against our records to see if it matches.

SC: Oh, ok, well my number is xxx – xxxx (sigh)

Me: Ok, and what's the area code please?

SC: Oh, sorry, it's xxx

Me: Ok, and what ESN do you have?

SC: ::gives the ESN:: (of course it doesn't match our records, further checking showed we had never had an account active with the ESN she had)

Me: Well Ma'am, I show that ESN does not match the phone number you gave me. I also checked and we have never activated that ESN with our service.

SC: Oh, ok thank you.

Me: Ok, do you have any other questions or concerns today Ma'am?

SC: No, thank you.

Me: Ok, you have a great day.

Alright at this point I'm thinking its gonna be a good day because my first call has gone so smoothly. But isn't this how all the sucky ones start out.

SC: Actually, could I speak with another representative? (oh no, I know where this is going)

Me: Did you think of another question?

SC: Yeah, but I want to speak to someone else.

Me: Well Ma'am, If you do have another question I can answer it just as well as any other representative here. However, if you ask the same question you asked me the answer is not going to change. (essentially I've said no without saying no)

SC: Well I really need to speak with someone else (Don't you get it I just said NO)

Me: Ok, again if you have another question I can answer it for you.

SC: Let me speak to your supervisor. (The magical trump card, ok let me bend over backward and do as you ask just because you want a supervisor now)

Me: I'm sorry but even a supervisor will answer your first question the exact same way. IF you have a different question you can ask me and I CAN answer it. Asking a different question does not warrant me taking up the time of other representatives when I can answer it on my own.

SC: So you're refusing to transfer me to a supervisor. (Duh...)

Me: Yes

SC: Well I want to make a formal complaint now because you're being rude to me. (Ok.... How am I being rude?)

Me: I'm sorry but we currently only have one supervisor on duty. As I have already answered your original question and you seem to be unable to ask me the second one that you have I do not feel that your issue warrants using up my supervisors time. He is very busy as he is the only supervisor here right now.

This was all true, I work first shift and we had just opened not more than 10 minutes ago. Not to mention as far as I'm concerned she just wants to ask someone else what she already asked me. I mean this isn't bran surgery and I wasn't born yesterday. And normally I would transfer someone right away, but the way she was acting was just rubbing me the wrong way.

SC: Well who else is there that I can speak to?

Me: Well we have several other representatives who are all busy helping other customers at the moment. So right now all you have is me.

SC: Well I feel there is some tension between us so I want someone else to answer my question. (Excuse me, you were perfectly happy with the original answer as far as I am concerned. And NO Sh** there is tension between us now, your being a belligerent dumb***)

Me: Bottom line, if you want someone else you will have to hang up and call back.

SC: So you're going to hang up on me. (Duh... if I was going to hang up on you then I would have done it already)

Me: No, but if you want to speak with someone else that is your only option.

SC: What extensions do you have there? (ARRRRGGHHHHH)

Me: I'm sorry ma'am the extensions are private information.

SC: No, what departments are there, tell me the extensions and I'll tell you the one I want. (Did you not just hear what i said?!?!)

Me: We have activations and customer service. (We actually also have programming, porting, client relations, HR etc you get the idea)

SC: Well let me talk to activations.

Me: Ok, what area code would you like me to activate for you?

SC: I'm sorry?

Me: You said you wanted to speak with our activations department. It just so happens that I'm answering calls for that department. So, again what area code would you like me to activate for you.

SC: Well because of the tension between us I want someone else to do it.

Me: And you actually have a phone to activate?

SC: ........

Me: Ma'am?

SC: No I don't but I do want to speak with someone else.... Do you have a legal department? (Oh goody, the I'm gonna sue you ploy, I have an out now)

Me: As a matter of fact we do not, but if this is now becoming a legal issue I am no longer authorized to represent my company.

SC: So you're refusing to speak to me.

Me: In the matter of a legal issue brand cellular has not authorized me to represent them.

SC: Well It really isn't a legal matter... yet.

Me: So you won't be needing any information on where to send any legal documentation then?

SC: Not yet.

Me: Ok, is there anything else you need help with then? (GO AWAY!!!)

SC: Let me speak to someone else.

Me: For the last time, you will need to hang up and call back to get someone other than me.

SC: Understand if i have to call back I will have your job. (HAHAHAHAHA, yeah right)

Me: I'm sorry you feel that way have a great day. (Not really, i'm not sorry at all, in fact I have inconvenienced you in anyway I take great satisfaction in it you crazy ****)

At this point she hung up on me. I smile, put copious amounts of notes on her account detailing what just happened and then dial my supervisor to explain my side of the story. Apparently she had already called once that morning so my supervisor already knew what was up for the most part.... good my arse is covered and the SC isn't going to get her way.... what a happy way to start the day.

What was she up to?? What a weirdo.

My favorite SC line of all is "I'll have your job!!"

COOL! Then YOU can deal with jackasses like yourself all day. And I will point and laugh.
    Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

Only thing I can think of is shes been asked to use it as a security verification before and is either trying to get back a number she used to have that was recycled, or is having a fight with a friend or boyfriend. We get calls like this every once in awhile where a boyfriend and girlfriend will get a phone together and then when they split they start fighting over the account. Usually once we get wind of this we ask the person who has the phone to verify the esn and then ask them to change the number.

Comment

WHOOP! WHOOP! WHOOP!

RED ALERT! RED ALERT!

SCAMMER ON THE LINE! SCAMMER ON THE LINE!

Damn it! Another alarm broke! That's the third one this month!

(actually, that's pretty good, usually it's that amount per week!)
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Did she actually call back in and were there notes left afterwards. I know I am a nosy nosy person. I don't know if you are allowed to go back and check up on the idiots or not, I was.
          Woman are like guns, if you don't treat us right, we'll blow up in your face!

Pain is your bodies way of telling you that you're still alive.

I am also known as Liquid Skin and Silkekitten.

Comment

I haven't actually checked back on this one. I didn't even write her number down. I'm the type that lives by the motto out of sight out of mind.

Comment

Working...
            X