Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I speak to the guy who broke the rules the last time I called in?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I speak to the guy who broke the rules the last time I called in?

I had a lady yesterday who called about a message she received when trying to connect to the internet. The message kept telling her that her modem could not be detected, and I again and again told her that we as her internet provider are not responsible for her computer, let alone we cannot troubleshoot hardware problems because of liability issues. Now,this lady did not provide me with her account information, nor did she give me anything that would be helpful with the last time she called in to our department.

"Well, the last time I called, one of your reps told me how to fix this same problem. I want to speak to him." The thing was, she could not provide this rep's name, and again would not give me her account information to look it up. I told her that if she had a rep that did that, then she spoke to someone who broke the rules and provided assistance that we are not supposed to provide. "So, you're saying you have incompetent reps that are providing unlawful assistance?"

I would not bite, instead saying, "I cannot verify that for a fact since you refuse to provide your account information. If you would like to provide that, then I could reference the notations that would have been made on your account showing this rep actually assisted you with your modem issues." She again refused to give me her account information, again saying that someone in our department helped her with this, and that I needed to give her that rep. I guess I was supposed to somehow gaze into my crystal computer, or my crystal phone, and actually sift through this woman's mind until I found out who she spoke to. Instead, she just hung up, angry at my politeness and my not yelling back at her.

I have heard other stories with friends of mine who also do internet support, and what I discovered was many people pull crap like this because they know they're going to have to pay a technician lots of money for something they think their internet provider is better suited with fixing for free. Good luck being I'm not going to tell you something that messes up your computer.

Well, if somebody fixed the same problem last time, she should have noted how to fix it in case it happened again! And if it's something that can be fixed over the phone, then she shouldn't have to pay a technician to come out to her house...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Well, if somebody fixed the same problem last time, she should have noted how to fix it in case it happened again! And if it's something that can be fixed over the phone, then she shouldn't have to pay a technician to come out to her house...
      All true, except the point I made was it was her computer hardware that caused the issue, not her internet provider. Since we could be held liable for changes we tell a customer to make that is non internet related, we normally would not assist in this manner.

Comment

There are some rules I see bent often, but mostly it's supporting Outlook when we only support Outlook Express. I've never budged when a customer says we helped them do the same thing last time, always thinking, then why can't they remember how to fix it themselves? I always take my stance, knowing my leads and sups will back me up. But it is too common that people call us first for any pc issue, thinking we're free support, and maybe we'll be able to help. Sure I could fix their issue if I was there, but if its a computer issue, over the phone I'm not touching it, goodbye. This also goes for the old lady who had trouble sending attachments on her Yahoo email, sorry, for the 5th time, I can't help you, I can't even get to Yahoo Mail, they've blocked it on our intranet, contact Yahoo and have a nice day.

Comment

parables work or me:
          "if your lamp doesn't work in the living room, but works in the kitchen...do you need a new lamp??"- this in reference to customers that want a new alternator after theirs tests good on my tester.

in your case you can try: "You called the phone company because your power is out. Wrong company, sorry, can't help ya."
          You have the right to behave badly. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a blog of my choice.

Comment

Quoth CRXPanda View Post
            parables work or me:
            "if your lamp doesn't work in the living room, but works in the kitchen...do you need a new lamp??"- this in reference to customers that want a new alternator after theirs tests good on my tester.

in your case you can try: "You called the phone company because your power is out. Wrong company, sorry, can't help ya."

Oh, I have a better one for you. When I was an operator, people often dialed "0" for any emergency, or at least what they considered an emergency. The most memorable one I had was the lady calling because her newspaper had not arrived yet, so she wanted me to call and raise hell with them.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              1)she would have given the account information if she was a customer

2)thats sounds like a generic "someone did it before" excuse, so i doubt they did

3)most likely cause, she has not installed a modem driver yet

Comment

Or the one I used yesterday, where they called in days before, we setup a trouble call, but they cancelled that and swapped the cablemodem at the local office, on some advice someone gave them. Now the second cablemodem won't work, and by the lights, the modem itself is working, but obviously now the signal needs to be fixed. So I put it, "You've just traded your Jaguar for a Porsche, but the road is still closed and you can't go anywhere."

Comment

Ah, yes. The mystery employee who always breaks the rules for SCs and goes by the name "Someone."

"Someone" is very good at hiding his/her identity becuase SCs never seem to be able to describe this "Someone" very well. It's not even known for sure if "Someone" is male or female.

"Someone" works where I do too. He/she has few aliases: "Some Person," "The Other Lady," "A Gentleman, I Can't Remember His Name," and "You Guys."
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X