This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramen

I kind of like it again. I had stopped eating it 'cause of the white flour and hydrogenated oil, and then stayed away because I'm now vegetarian. (Most flavors contain meat or animal fat). I needed some cheap noodles for stir-fry, though, so I picked up a couple of packets of mushroom flavor, intending to keep the packets for some other dish. (I was making a kung pao-type thing this time). I just made a bowl with the mushroom packet and it's quelling my sodium craving. The noodes are still white flour, but I eat so little of that that it's negligible bad nutrition. I have no allergy to MSG, so no problem there. This brand doesn't use hydrogenated oil. I think a couple bowls a week are not too harmful. I am going to try adding peas, corn, green onions, and maybe bits of scrambled egg. At 19 cents a pack, I can't go wrong. And I can add hot sauce if I want spicy. I also have a vegetarian "beef" paste if I want a beefy mushroom flavor. Hmmm....who would've thought?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I love the mushroom ones. But I can't seem to find them around here anymore, it's very sad.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

Ooh. I loooove ramen. I make mine with diced carrots, egg, corn, and peas if I have 'em.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

The only time I've ever eaten ramen was a few years ago in Los Angeles, at a nice little ramen restaurant in Little Tokyo. I've never eaten the $.19 packs that you can get at the grocery store...my parents never bought them and I never went through the "poor college student" phase like a lot of my friends (including my husband) did, since I only took a few classes at a community college while working.

My husband thinks it's a travesty and wants to buy some for me to try, just to say I've tried it.

Comment

As a former broke student Ramen was a staple of mine for a while.

I will not comment on the nutritional issues with it (b/c I'm a terrible person and don't care).

However tasty additions are always fun:
          Frozen Peas and Corn go in anything I make w/ ramen
          Mushroom Ramen? Mushrooms!
          Bockchoy always goes well (And is seriously one of my all time favorites).
          You can take a line from Pho and add in Bean sprouts, lime/chili/mint/what have you.

As for the worst thing I used to do?
          Make ramen as per usual, then strain out the noodles, fry those up real quick like with you additions (sesame seeds were a favorite for that point), then thicken the broth with corn starch (or that super fine gravy flour) and recombine.

You could probably do a healthier version by using a better oil for the stir fry aspect, and simply using a good thick mushroom gravy instead of the soup.

And now I need to go buy some packs of ramen (24/7 grocery run by Koreans means I have a good selection of instant noodle soups)

That and I need to go get some real ramen some time soon (Possibly Momofuku Noodle Bar...)

Comment

One of my favorites is lo mein-style ramen.

If you have some ice berg lettuce and shredded carrots, take a very small amount and set it aside.

In a little mixing cup, blend together a small amount of peanut butter and soy sauce. Add just a SMIDGE of ginger powder, if you have it.

Cook your ramen without the flavoring, and then drain it out, and rinse it in cold water.

Heat up a little bit of oil in a pan, and then dump the ramen in the pan, and then add the soysauce/peanut butter mixture. Saute. After the noodles are starting to absorb most of it, add the chopped lettuce and carrots. Continue sauteing until the mixture's pretty much been Borg'd by the noodles and veggies.

It tastes freaking AMAZING. Seriously, its something my husband's fam has me cook every time we visit. XD
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Mines not even a little vegetarian, but I like to add red onions, garlic, turkey sausage (you can get Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles at the store, and they're always in the house), celery, and a little bit of red cooking wine. I'd use real wine in my cooking, but PA blue laws are dumb.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

There's an Asian store near here that sells big bags of the dried noodles. $2.99 for 16 rounds. And they have whole wheat (which I prefer over white).

The noodles are flat instead of round, but doesn't matter to me lol.

Comment

My ramen tends not to be even remotely vegetarian either, but if you eat seafood try sauteeing some scallops in a bit of olive oil and adding those in. Or the tiny little cocktail shrimp. Or even canned tuna. I do that when I'm making ramen just for me, but since the boyfriend doesn't like any sort of seafood (the heathen) I usually add whatever sort of meat I have on hand as well as various veggies. I generally only use one of the flavoring packets when I make ramen for both of us, as it's way too salty for me otherwise. I also add some freshly cut green onion (got a container of it in the windowsill. Bought some green onions one time, and noticed new roots growing on the ones I hadn't used. Stuck em in some dirt and voila!).

I'll have to try the one with sauteeing the cooked noodles with the soy/peanut butter sauce, that sounds pretty tasty. I know I like pad thai, this might be a decent substitute for it.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Holy crap, that sounds delicious!

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    One of my favorites is lo mein-style ramen.

If you have some ice berg lettuce and shredded carrots, take a very small amount and set it aside.

In a little mixing cup, blend together a small amount of peanut butter and soy sauce. Add just a SMIDGE of ginger powder, if you have it.

Cook your ramen without the flavoring, and then drain it out, and rinse it in cold water.

Heat up a little bit of oil in a pan, and then dump the ramen in the pan, and then add the soysauce/peanut butter mixture. Saute. After the noodles are starting to absorb most of it, add the chopped lettuce and carrots. Continue sauteing until the mixture's pretty much been Borg'd by the noodles and veggies.

It tastes freaking AMAZING. Seriously, its something my husband's fam has me cook every time we visit. XD

Comment

Does kielbasa with ramen noodles sound weird? My grocery store has vegetarian kielbasa. I can find quite a few meat analogues to add protein. Maybe I will get some of those whole wheat noodles. In spring I crave asian foods as a transition from soups and casseroles to smoothies, sandwhiches, and salads.

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
                        Holy crap, that sounds delicious!
                        It really it. Its amazing how awesome it is -- its a staple at our house now, especially with the kids.
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

It does sound good, and I love the use of "Borg'd" as a cooking term.

Comment

I have been making ramen noodles from scratch. I have both just cooked them and also cooked and fried them. The hard part was finding the kansui (lye water). The fun is seeing what combination you can come up with next.
                            "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

I ate Ramen religiously throughout high school because I always had to work right after school.

I quit eating it for a while because I got so tired of it, but once I was broke and living on my own a bit, I started buying crates of it again.

Thankfully, I can usually afford a few Roma pizzas, bags of frozen ravioli, and my parents go to the Amish grocery once in a while to buy me spaghetti and other noodles, so it's not always the same old boring thing.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X